Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

Here in Commiefornia, I run BIKE TOW, a 24-hour motorcycle towing service. I am moving to Kentucky by next March. I was wondering ... would a dedicated motorcycle towing service survive there?

I tow bikes, trikes, bikes with sidecars, and other small vehicles such as riding mowers, 'mules' and ranch vehicles, golf carts, quads and six-wheeled vehicles, but NOT cars, trucks or vans.

Beyond that, what is the riding like? I am wondering if I should by another Goldwing! I will be moving to Franklin, KY., south of Bowling Green and north of Nashville, TN.

I know that Commiefornia is a year-round motorcycling state, but in Kentucky, how much riding goes on? Is it seasonal? Only a few months per year?

Are there any GWRRA or GWTA chapters in that area? When we were there in Franklin just this past September, we saw a large group of bikes cruise through town. A local said "they" do it every weekend, but did I just see a small sampling of motorcycles in Kentucky, or was that the entire group!?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
As far as the ridding season in KY it is pretty much all year, HOWEVER it does get cold. It can be shorts an t-shirts for X-mas (not very often) or below zero. I ride all year but when it gets below 30's I would rather not. Jan we get a couple of days in the 60's sometimes even 70. Feb and March are the coldest and longest to me. We are a state that makes no sense to me but then again government rarely does, we have the seat belt law but you dont have to wear a helmet if you are over 21 and have been "licensed" (I think its a year or more) for a length of time. Road wise we have a beautiful state (we dont have the Rockies or a desert) rolling hills and lakes. It has been a goal of mine do do a Saddle Sore (1000 miles in 24 hours or less)run and just stay in KY(time seems to get away from me). Taxes are surely going to be less and gun laws are going to blow you away, we get an A from the NRA. I have no clue how the towing business would do, I suppose you could check with the Chamber of Commerce. Good luck to ya and Welcome to KY!

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you like the twisties there are a lot of them in the Eastern part where I live. I will be glad to show you some of them when you get here.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
According to the Goldbook, there's almost 3 pages of members in Kentucky, so there must be several chapters of GWRRA. If you are a member, give one of the Franklin members a ring, there's four of them listed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not a GWRRA member. I don't know. I'll advertise this business for sale here, but if no one offers any REAL price for it, I'll take it to KY and just keep doing what I am doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the Bluegrass!

You'll really enjoy the riding in Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky is a great part of the state to ride. Hwy 421 is great from Northern Kentucky to Southeastern Kentucky. Let me know where you're living when you get here!

You'll also enjoy easy access to rides in Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio, West Virginia and others. I kind of 'liken' it to the pinnacle of great riding in the Southeastern U. S.

Colonel

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be settling in the town of Franklin, KY. We plan to move there around the end of March 2011. I have just cleared out of my home. Now we have to pack mom's place, and we're off! I am SO looking forward to living in a free state.

It looks like I will be bringing BIKE TOW with me. I'm not getting any nibbles here. Well ... nibbles, but no one is offering real money.

I can transport bikes and trikes etc. there, as well as riding mowers and snowmobiles (something NEW for me!) so who knows. Maybe it is my destiny.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Joe, sounds like you are off to a fresh start. I love to visit CA, but don't think I could afford to live there. Good luck on your move and hopefully your business will take off in KY.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow. Life sure throws you a curve once in a while.

I did move, to Franklin, Kentucky, in May 2011. My mom and I arrived on May 9th. I am still living here.

We spent 3 weeks unpacking, and getting things going such as the DirecTV, the land line phone, the utilities and such, renting a post office box and so forth. Things looks really good.

My mom was receiving Orencia treatments for her severe rheumatoid arthritis. It is a drug cocktail they run through the bloodstream to help fight the disease. She was to have an infusion every 4 weeks. She got one on April 4th, so we assumed that she could get one in Kentucky around May 10th. After all, she was on Medicare, a FEDERAL program to pay for the expenses of seniors.

Well, the hospital in Bowling Green, Kentucky refused to give her the treatment. They were pissy-farting around and not being straight with us. I finally called and asked, "What is the problem?!" They said they weren't sure they would be paid. BOTH Medicare and Blue Shield of California called them and told them that, YES, the bill would be paid in Kentucky and to give her the treatment. They told us that due to changes in the payment procedure "and due to procedures put into place by ObamaCare" they could not authorize the treatment.

They would not budge. I said, "What if we pay CASH? Will you do it if we pay cash?" They replied, "This is a very expensive treatment. you could be liable for ten or fifteen thousand dollars ... I interrupted. "You didn't answer my question! If I give you CASH, a stack of dead presidents, will you do the treatment?! I'll walk into your lobby with $15,000.00 CASH!" They refused, but offered to set an appointment for mid-July, indicating that the payment issue would probably be worked out by then.

I bought two plane tickets to return mom to California immediately for her treatment which was coming up on 8 weeks since the last one. It was obvious that Kentucky had their heads up their posteriors. The same went for Nashville. I guess Medicare is a big joke, since it doesn't seem to apply to people who are not in their home towns.

We flew into San Diego on June 8th. The treatment is only given on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and her doctor was on vacation. He cut his vacation short by two days so that he could return to do the infusion on June 12th.

Well, the afternoon of the 10th, my mom started having breathing problems. She would not let me take her to the hospital. She insisted that I take her to the hotel room. There, I could see that she was very ill, unable to take two steps without running out of energy. Her face turned blue.

I called 9-1-1. They were there in an instant, and rushed her to Tri-City Medical Center in Oceanside. The medical team was great, but despite their best efforts, my mom suffered cardiac failure that night and passed away. They did CPR for 26 minutes and DID get her heart started again, but it was obvious to me that she was not there.

I said, "Doctor. I am a realist. 26 minutes of CPR. What are the chances that she will be a vegetable?" He said, "They are very high, but we will know more in a few hours."

Three hours later, they called me into a room. They had injected dye into mom's veins to do some X-rays. They said, "You'll want to say goodbye to your mom. she is not going to make it."

Although I knew that she had actually died three hours earlier, it was the hardest decision of my life to tell them to shut off the life support machines.

On June 17th, we held a private burial service at Eternal Hills. I returned to Kentucky with my sister for three weeks. We went through things and prepared for the Memorial Service on July 11th, which would have been her 72nd birthday. About 150 people came.

I returned alone to this home in Franklin, where I am slowly going through the motions. It seems like time has stopped. Each day is like the previous one. This wasn't was I had hoped. I wanted my mom to enjoy Kentucky, walk in the green grass in her bare feet, write her books and relax a little. God had other plans.

I don't know what is in store for me in the coming months, but I'm going to give Kentucky a year to show me what it has. Four seasons. Then I will know if I am going to stay, or move somewhere else.

I do want to buy another Gold Wing, just so I can ride again. So much going on. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That is so sad. If you don't mind I will pray for you and yours.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. A very upsetting and stressful story. I hope you don't let the bureaucrats ruin your impression of the south.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, no way. I judge an area by it's people.

California ... well, illegals and welfare recipients and drug addicts and liberals by the score.

Kentucky ... good, honest, hard-working people who still know what it means to be an American.

I hope to stay here. I love the area and the people. Maybe I'll get some business going and hire a few younger people to help me. I don't know.

I bought SolidWorks, and a 5'x10' PlasmaCam CNC machine. It is just a starter for me. I felt I needed to do ... something. I will probably drift into a 3-D printer before long, and begin to develop new products for the market. I just needed something to give me a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Learning this software and figuring out ways to make some spare cash with the PlasmaCam will keep me busy for a while. I don't know where it will go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
God bless you sir from KY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to Kentucky Joe. I live up the road a few miles in Bowling Green. Let me know when you settle in and we can take a ride. There is a group of retired folks who have coffee daily at a local restaurant and would love to have you join us some morning. We meet around 7:30 till around 9 am. If the weather is nice, we decide where we are going to ride for lunch. Lately we have not ridden a lot but as soon as it cools off some, we will be a lot more active. Lots of really nice roads in this area and plenty of good places to chow down too. Lets try and meet up and I can introduce you to the locals and maybe show you a few roads too.

Bob Holzapfel
[email protected]

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm shopping for a Wing right now. I found one at the Honda dealer in Bowling Green. It is a 2008 with a few bells and whistles. It has about 33K miles on it. The price seems right. I am just looking to see what else is out there before I plunk down a chunk of money.

I am told that there is a chapter of GWRRA right here in Franklin that meets at the denny's once a month. I'll have to look into that. I really do want to ride again, and I really need to meet some people here. I don't know anyone. I don't drink, so I don't hang out in bars, and I'm not a big church-goer, so what other social options are there in these parts? Who knows! I might just meet a lady here!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Joe, sorry for your loss. I use to work in Franklin and I have family there now. I am now in Louisville about 2.5 hours away from you. I have a 2008 Goldwing and it is a sweet ride. I dont know what price you are getting on the one in BG but if you do get it at a good price you wont be disappointed. It is a sweet ride. Maybe some day we can go for a ride together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are looking for a bike let me suggest that you get in touch with Randy Saltsman. Randy rebuilds Goldwings and has had some really nice bikes in the past. He lives in Leitchfield, Ky. and his phone number is (270) 259-3454. I got my first bike from Randy, a 1500 that I kept for a long time then sold it when I found a newer 1800 that I liked better. He started out rebuilding Goldwings in his spare time and it has worked into a full time job for him.
Kentucky is famous for fast women and beautiful horses...........oops, I think that is fast horses and beautiful women. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the reference. I'm more interested in buying one that does not have to be rebuilt. The 1500s are nice. I've owned two of them, but alas, they are getting older. I think I'm going to focus on an 1800, or even bite the bullet and buy a new one. The one in BG was sold today. I stopped by the dealer and saw the empty slot on the floor. Bummer.

I'm sure another one will come around though. It doesn't have to be here. I can go almost anywhere to pick one up ... if the price is right!

The CNC machine arrives tomorrow, or ... today! Gosh, it is almost 3 AM!! I'm going to empty out my post barn so they can pour a new concrete floor in it. I have to get some sleep!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hope

Sorry for your grief. I travel through your area weekly and have friends who live in the area, I hope you let time and Kentucky help to heal your heart. Franklin still has a drive in movie and my buddies family drives up monthly to catch a show. Franklin is a nice place hope to see you back on 2 wheels soon...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts