Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever been ticketed or knows someone that has for going over the 55 MPH speed limit set for vehicles pulling trailers. Do they bother bikes with trailers. I have family there and will be taking some long trips up the cost and I don't want to slow the group down if we take the trailer. Thanks. earthpig....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Found a statement from a California motorcycle officer:
Although originally meant for semi's, as a motorcycle officer, I can assure you that the California 55 MPH speed limit law applies to any type of towing configuration. I can also tell you that it is not heavily enforced unless you exceed 65 MPH. Most officers will consider the weight and length of the vehicles involved and use their own judgement, but there are always a few that enforce the letter of the law, so exceed at your own risk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey tfdeputydawg. Thanks for the input. I looked up the Calif. code on vehicles pulling trailers and it may be that motorcycles are exempt from the law of 55 MPH. If you read the code it says trucks, bus, and PASSENGER vehicles. It does not say motorcycles. This has been on my mind for some time so I guess I'm going to make a call to the Dept. and get their word on this. As the law is written, it leaves out motorcycles and mentions all other vehicles. I'm not sure if a bike falls under passenger vehicle.

Although the code does state that if we are carrying explosives on our bike we have to go 55 MPH. :D

Here is the code.

V C Section 22406 Maximum Speed for Designated Vehicles
Maximum Speed for Designated Vehicles
22406. No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a highway
at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:

(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.

(b) A passenger vehicle or bus drawing any other vehicle.

(c) A schoolbus transporting any school pupil.

(d) A farm labor vehicle when transporting passengers.

(e) A vehicle transporting explosives.

(f) A trailer bus, as defined in Section 636.

Amended Sec. 22, Ch. 787, Stats. 2000. Effective January 1 2001.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I live in Calif and in all the years I pulled a trailer I was stopped twice by the CHP. Once he just came over his PA system and told me to get in the slow lane with that trailer. One time I was stopped and was told I had to remain in the two lanes to the far right and not to exceed 55 MPH. I told him that the signs say AUTO AND TRUCKS pulling trailers 55 MPH, he said the vehicle code says VEHICLES and my motorcycle was a vehicle. Bottom line, I don't think you will get a ticket if you go over 55 but stay out of the fast lane with it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My guess is if you are travelling in a group, and not doing rediculous speeds, they'll leave you alone. Of course it's easy for me to say as its not my license that gets the points if I'm wrong:rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I lived in Calif. for 50 years and drove a truck and the cops usually don't bother you if your behaving. The reason I made this post was the code spells out what should run 55. It will be interesting to hear what the Dept. states as to what the code reads. If I can get a real answer I will post it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
My guess is if you are travelling in a group, and not doing rediculous speeds, they'll leave you alone. Of course it's easy for me to say as its not my license that gets the points if I'm wrong:rolleyes:
The first time I was told to move over by a CHP on his PA system I was running back door in a group, the second CHP guy that pulled me over said the vehicle code says VEHICLES pulling trailers, is I guess that is a REAL answer.
So just bring your trailer, go with the flow of traffic, about 75 or 80 and see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts