Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a reason to go to the Jacksonville office; it's about 375 mi from Miami. I want to take the Wing to give it a run to see how it feels to travel that distance; I have not made a trip of this distance before.
The problem I am having is that now I realize that for the first time the Wing will be outside, overnight, in a hotel parking lot; it won't be sleeping in the security of my driveway or in the storage facility where I keep it.

Do you/would you lock your Wing with any additional cycle lock if this were you? If so what do you use?

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I don't have anything other then the steering lock, but one thing I alway ask about when traveling and I can't park the bike in front of our/my room, if they a covered drive up to the Hotel/motel is if I can park the bike between the supporting posts, never been told I couldn't, then I cover it. Not likely anybody will mess with it there.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
198 Posts
I haven't traveled yet with my Wing but when I did with my Harley I would lock the ingnition and cover the bike. I traveled all over with it and never had a problem. I'll do the same when I travel with the Wing and not worry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Like Ron said, I park in the covered Hotel entrance area, and put a cover on the bike. Never had a problem with the bike being messed with. I have had only one hotel tell me no when I have done this.

Brian

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
You buy your wing to enjoy, to take you places and have memories of the people you met. There will be all types of risks by doing these activities. If there is a chance of rain I take a cover to protect it. The steering lock is all I have ever used. If I am staying at a Hotel I ask if there is a safe place to put the bike and I have had things like, my bike being locked in their own shed or placed in a shed that is out of sight or in their back yard. At the Motels I have had the bike under the verandah in front of my room with their permission. If it's going to help you sleep at night take a lock. My son uses the lock on the front disk. Eric

·
Registered
466 Posts
The good thing about the Goldwing is, it is the least stolen MC.
there is a reason why, first it wieghs in at 900+ pounds. The second reason is 95% of all bike thefts are 2 or 3 guys pulling up in a truck or van and lifting it up to load it.
To "Hand Load" a Goldwing, you would need 6 guys and one hellofa lot of muscle!
It just doesn't happen unless there is an "oddball" thief out there specializing in Goldwing theft. He would need to have a trailer and still need a couple of other guys to manhandle the Wing on a trailer.

Bottom line is there just isn't a market for stolen Wings and they are 5 times more difficult to steal than your average bike.

I have no fear at all parking my wing anywhere. I also have plenty of coverage should it be stolen or destroyed somehow on the road.

I pay for this coverage so that I have piece of mind and do not need to worry in the event of loss. If you have to "Worry" about your bike, you are not enjoying your trip!

Just my opinion here, your mileage may vary.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I just have a carport where all three of my bikes are parked. I just cable the bikes together with a good cable and lock. I also lock the steering. When I travel, I take that cable and lock with me and lock it to an available parking lot light post. I also cover it and I have never had anyone mess with any of my bikes..... but I just want to slow down someone who is coming to steal them.

I do wish I had a garage. Out of sight is much better.

One thing, I never lock the saddle bags. I empty them and leave them unlocked. If anyone ever decided to "break into my bags, they could just open them up and see there is nothing inside of them.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
I lock the front wheel and cover the bike and lock the trunk and side bags. It helps if you can park it under lights and where you can see it. I've also parked at the entrance to the building. Take the Wing and have a good time. Ride safe...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an alarm with pager which allows me to sleep very well. I generally leave her in a well lite place, if not outside my room. I also leave her in reverse, which locks up the back wheel. Put the cover on her. Never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An interesting variance in responses.... Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
The good thing about the Goldwing is, it is the least stolen MC.

Bottom line is there just isn't a market for stolen Wings and they are 5 times more difficult to steal than your average bike.

I have no fear at all parking my wing anywhere. I also have plenty of coverage should it be stolen or destroyed somehow on the road.
I agree with Buzzy, nobody wants to steal a wing. HD are much easier to steal and strip parts and sell.

I just try to park her in front of the hotel/motel, use the steering lock, and most of the time cover her.

I also have theft on her just in case.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Never had any bike stolen, but I did have someone try to relieve me of the stereo on my 1200 in front of a major hotel in broad daylight. I had an Interstate so I had a Cyclesound mount and a car stereo installed. They got the unit free of the mount, but left before the job got done, pretty sure they got 'interupted' in the process. I have a disc-lock on the shelf of my garage that's never been used.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I always put a cover over my motorcycles and of course like others, try to park up front under the porch etc. The interesting thing about a cover is that a potential thief has no idea what might be under there providing efforts toward thwarting any attempt to steal the motorcycle... and most thieves would rather move to an easier target than chance getting caught.

Of course, I always try to observe my surroundings when covering the motorcycle and look for anyone who might seem overly interested in what I am doing.

Bottom line is though, I don't lose sleep over such things.... Holy Spirit has my back!

·
Registered
905 Posts
You must turn ign on to get it out of reverse. Most hotels/motels in fla that we have been to if you let them know you are riding will put you on ground floor and I have even had some let me put the bike in the room when the room had sliding glass doors. Call ahead and see.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nothing will stop a determined person with ill intent. If they can't steal it they will damage it. I like the alarm idea best. A 12ga works too if you can't sleep.

·
Registered
232 Posts
...and I have even had some let me put the bike in the room when the room had sliding glass doors. Call ahead and see.
Holy cow! I don't know about staying in a motel that lets you bring a motorcycle into the room... I'm thinking "Really skanky room." I guess I would have to see that place before I committed.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
An interesting variance in responses.... Thanks everyone
Hey Catman....just tie that Body Guard to your bike and I guarantee the bike will be the last thing they think of to steal.:D

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dreamweaver that is a true statement. No matter where we go no one notices me or my Wing. I think I could actually pull up next to her on a GOLD Wing and guys just walk around me to go 'look at her bike'

1 - 20 of 39 Posts