Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Interesting read, Ron. The page titled " How motorcycle tires work " was of special interest to me. They state that " motorcycle tires have a U- shaped profile that changes size and shape during cornering ". My rear C/T also does that. Follow me and watch. My rear tire will bend and flex in the turns. They further state that " Motorcycle tire are also relatively narrow, which makes their gripping ( traction ) a limited commodity " . Not so with a C/T. More rubber on the road at all times.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Thanks for posting the info Ron.

I am really surprised that a consortium of motorcycle tire manufactures would caution the use of car tires. Again, the lean angle and the fact that car tires are cannot lean... and the bead is different. Yada Yada Yado.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
In 1633 Galileo made some concessions and retractions of his belief in the Copernican theory that the earth revolved around the sun to the Grand Inquisition. After, he is reported to have commented , " But it still moves ". The Church finally accepted that Galileo might be right in 1983.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
In 1633 Galileo made some concessions and retractions of his belief in the Copernican theory that the earth revolved around the sun to the Grand Inquisition. After, he is reported to have commented , " But it still moves ". The Church finally accepted that Galileo might be right in 1983.
So....Your saying, it takes a while for folks to accept a change in thinking:confused::rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
This Galileo fella, he invented the internet and was the first darksider in his home town. Geico Insurance was founded by him too.... but the name is a little different. Oh yea.... the wine... Gallo wine. Now it all comes back to me. He was one Fart Smeller.... I mean smart feller.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Interesting read, Ron. The page titled " How motorcycle tires work " was of special interest to me. They state that " motorcycle tires have a U- shaped profile that changes size and shape during cornering ". My rear C/T also does that. Follow me and watch. My rear tire will bend and flex in the turns. They further state that " Motorcycle tire are also relatively narrow, which makes their gripping ( traction ) a limited commodity " . Not so with a C/T. More rubber on the road at all times.
Let look at this from The Scientific Method:
1/ The Question
2/ Collect the Information
3/ Form a Hypotheses
4/ Test the Hypotheses
5/ Record and study the results
6/ Draw a conclusion
This is what I think from what I think I know. A Flat shaped tire on the rear of a motorcycle is not a new idea. If I remember correctly my fathers Royal Enfield had a flat shaped rear tire. Earlier bikes had a flat shaped rear tire. They were low powered motorcycle's unlike today's. Did the earlier bikes go around corners ok. Well I can't tell you for sure because I wasn't around then, but I think so.
Just having a larger contact erea doesn't alway give you more traction. Take how much contact erea a steel wheel on a locomotive on a steel rail has. And a locomotive can lift thousands of tonnes. It gets it's traction from tonnes of pressure on a very small contact erea.
Now look at a slick tire on a race car. Dry weather and it has traction like you would not beleive. Now make it wet and the big fat slick can't get traction. So just the size of a tire will not always give better traction.
So where we are on the scientific scale is in the number 4 & 5. Or should I say in the Theories of the CT. Now with a theory is where you test an idea and support it with an abundance of evidence. When the Theory gets to the point where it is veiwed by the Scientist as a successful theory then you can say at this time my theory is correct. But it is still a theory at a later date it may be proven that it is not the most correct theory.......But then what would I know. I am waiting for motorcycle tire manufacturers to do their study and you may find that they will put out a tire a bit like a CT. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Let look at this from The Scientific Method:
1/ The Question
2/ Collect the Information
3/ Form a Hypotheses
4/ Test the Hypotheses
5/ Record and study the results
6/ Draw a conclusion
This is what I think from what I think I know. A Flat shaped tire on the rear of a motorcycle is not a new idea. If I remember correctly my fathers Royal Enfield had a flat shaped rear tire. Earlier bikes had a flat shaped rear tire. They were low powered motorcycle's unlike today's. Did the earlier bikes go around corners ok. Well I can't tell you for sure because I wasn't around then, but I think so.
Just having a larger contact erea doesn't alway give you more traction. Take how much contact erea a steel wheel on a locomotive on a steel rail has. And a locomotive can lift thousands of tonnes. It gets it's traction from tonnes of pressure on a very small contact erea.
Now look at a slick tire on a race car. Dry weather and it has traction like you would not beleive. Now make it wet and the big fat slick can't get traction. So just the size of a tire will not always give better traction.
So where we are on the scientific scale is in the number 4 & 5. Or should I say in the Theories of the CT. Now with a theory is where you test an idea and support it with an abundance of evidence. When the Theory gets to the point where it is veiwed by the Scientist as a successful theory then you can say at this time my theory is correct. But it is still a theory at a later date it may be proven that it is not the most correct theory.......But then what would I know. I am waiting for motorcycle tire manufacturers to do their study and you may find that they will put out a tire a bit like a CT. Eric
Meanwhile, we get shafted on excessive pricing. A conspiracy against the laity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts