Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Now in its second year, our MOBO awards selections process gives us the chance to reflect on the year that was. And for 2010, the spotlights were generally shining on European manufacturers which continued to pump out desirable product while most Japanese OEMs crawled into a hole to wait out the near-global recession.

Brands like Aprilia, BMW, Ducati and Triumph haven't slowed the launching of new models, and this forging ahead in the midst of a storm has resulted in gains of market share. It's also provided us with several interesting new bikes to ride. Perhaps most interesting of all are the bikes in the paradigm-shifting electric motorcycle movement that's rapidly gathering momentum. Progress in this category will come quickly as new technology takes great leaps forward.

Although the two-wheel market isn't what it once was, this is nevertheless a fascinating era in the evolution of motorcycling. The best motorcycles and machinery of 2010 are seen at the link below.

More: Motorcycle.com Best of 2010 Awards on Motorcycle.com

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I should have read this much earlier, but I have to say about the only choice I disagree with is the top tourer, and it's not that I don't think the Bimmer isn't worthy of being the best something, it's just not in the (arguably) full blown touring class (is there really any other?) IMO. The 1200's agility and sporty heritage really place it closer to the sport end of the spectrum (which BMW already owns) and it pales in comparison there. The Victory is a given to me, it trounced everything else in the category on paper and on the road. And the sport bikes, well BMW has set the entire litre class on its proverbial ear. Just when the big four (and the public) thought there wasn't really anything left (the R1, ZX10, CBR and GSXR have all taken the limelight at least once in the last decade) the bar wasn't just raised, it was obliterated. Well done BMW. I'm not really big on the dual purpose bikes, but others that are will approve of the chioces I'm sure. Electric bikes are here for good and interesting to watch them develop. Too bad Big Red mated the dual clutch tranny to the porky (albeit beautifully finished) undersuspended VFR and that lacklustre engine. Should make for an interesting next couple years though

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you read 5 different publications you will get 5 different listing of what they think is best. I personally wouldn't own a BMW, to high maintenance cost, rear end failures and lack of dealers when you are on the road. And the Concours 1400 has been rated best sport tourer for the last 3 years running by other magazines, but here it's not mentioned.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Couldn't agree more with the 'cost' of ownership on any BMW. I am impressed with the performance of the RR though. As to the sport touring sector, I've ridden the Concours 14 during my stint with the ST, and while the Concours was a more muscular feeling ride, I'd still take the ST to own. Of the three ST type Japanese offerings I'd lean towards the FJR over the Connie as well, but the overall quality of the ST1300 is tops IMO, and I didn't care for the seating on the K1300ST (just a personal observation). Where the ousting of the Wing came with the 1200 BMW I'll never understand what that's about other than maybe advertising$$ and editor pressure. I firmly believe there are only 3 full dress tourers out there since the K1200LT went away: the Wing (duh), the HD Ultra, and the Victory Vision Tour. I can't see where the 1200 competes with any of them in any way shape or form other than it has hard bags and a tail trunk. So yeah Joe, 5 different publications, 5 different outcomes, none of them likely very accurate.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
They missed the Yamaha Royal Star Venture and the the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager in the 'Touring' division too.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That's what I mean about advertising $$ and editor pressure. Money talk makes the b.s. walk. The Venture and the Voyager are still relative lightweights in my estimation; not on the scales really, just in execution of useage. Just like the Streetglide Ultra, more of a cruiser bagger than a full on tourer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts