Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday left early to go to parade 65 miles away made it about 20 miles lost cruise then gauges start blinking and then motor started missing. Pulled off the road sit for a minute it would not crank.
Started calling family and of course they were not up yet to answer cell.
Sit there about 20 minutes hit starter and it started right up ran fine.
Drove about 5 miles engine started missing. I was in a little town now with no services of any kind.
Won’t start again, finally got daughter on phone she's heading this way.
While waiting hit starter and it took off again, shut off right away thinking alternator gone won't go far.
So I pull fuse out for headlight started right up took off again made it 10 miles to next little town no services engine missing again.
Waited for daughter when she got there put jumper cables on for about 10 minutes took off and made home no more issues.
I have taken battery to Honda they say OK.
After I charged battery I put voltmeter on battery 12 volts, when I start it goes to 14 - 15 volts.
WHAT IS MY PROBLEM???

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Here's my two cents on this one. Spec the pulse generators one may be going bad.
Dusty or worn brushes in the alternator. Remove it and take it to an alternator/starter shop to be tested

·
Registered
168 Posts
how old is your Battery , if over 5 replace it. I had a problem like this with a Suzuki DL 1000 , never would I have thought it was the battery ,but it was cheaper to buy one than tow to dealer

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Is this on your 1996 Wing?

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
How did the connections on the battery look when you took it out to take to Honda?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
My vote goes to the pulse generators. Mine did the same thing and I replaced the pulse generators and all is well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Before you spend a ton of time checking pulse generators and fooling with other things, check the simple things like the battery connections and all ground connections. Clean and tight is the rule. I've had problems with cars in the past, doing like you said, or they wouldn't even start, and this is the cause of probably 80% of the problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts