Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to purchase new tires, I have a 1997 Gl1500 I now have on E3s on my bike did not like the noise they made from when they were new till now with 21,000+ miles on them,I'm thinking about purchasing Metzlers does anyone have any experience with that brand of tires let me know.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
e3s on both mine, the ones on the 1200 are quiet but the ones on the 1500 make noise. always wondered if that was due to the po running them at 32psi while i have always kept the tires on the 1200 near 40psi

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When I had my 1500's a 92 and a 98 I ran Dunlops on them. The E-3's are noisy in the corners but you will probably get the best mileage and traction from them. A lot of people are using Bridgestones on their 1800 Gold Wings, That's what I'm going to use on my next tire change, you might want to try them.

·
Registered
691 Posts
They could build a tire that would last 100,000 miles but it would be hard and have little traction. When carving a curve on your wing you are trusting a few square inches of contact with the road to not slip. Additionaly, the pure power of a wing requires a "sticky" tire. Just my opinion, 40,000 miles on a set of tires is good. But then, I remember when 21,000 miles was the life of a bike. I have 159,000 on the Green Wing and still love it.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
E3s

I keep Dunlop E3's and am on set number 4. Each set has run 20,000 - 21,000 miles. Bike has 115,000, looks great runs excelllent.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
There are those who go to the " dark side " , car rated tires on a motorcycle. I have an 08 so our set up is different , but I will adhere to a motorcycle tire next year. I will try the Bridgestones and thereby make a comparason. Sorry we don't have the same bike to compare apples to apples.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
When I had my GL1500 I always used the same OEM tires that came as original on the bike. I believe they were Dunlop K70, but I may have the number wrong.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Anyone remember the old Goodyear motorcycle tires. I had them on my GL1000 and they had hard sidewalls and you could drive them with little to no air at about 25mph. I guess they were the first run flat tires. They were police specials I beleive

·
Registered
36 Posts
dulop wear pattern

I've just got a 2001 wing and it has dunlop e3's. How on earth do you tell when the tread is gone? Maybe I'm dense but I can't tell. thanks.. gary

·
Registered
449 Posts
Gary, what part of ARKANSAS do you hail from?
I'm from the thriving mega metro city of GUY. Population 351, salute!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts