Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 1984 Interstate, I checked yellow wires by battery and plug was cooked. I replaced plug with 3 "plug conectors", not butt connectors, and checked voltage. Was charging over 14 volts, and have ridden bike 1000 miles in last 3 weeks. Battery is up, with no issues. I pulled cover off this weekend and new plug connectors are showing some hot spots in shrink tube. I just went out and started bike and wires are "quite warm" when you hold them. Saturday I may re do plug connectors and solder the wires. I have not checked voltage yet. Could this be a sign that stator is failing:(, or do wires run a little warm anyway? I'm thinking maybe with the plug connectors a little more resistance may be happening. Also, if stator is failing, does anyone know anybody in the Pacific Northwest that could install a poor boy alt.? When I mentioned the poor boy to the 2 Honda shops within a 100 miles of me they looked at me like I just fell off of the turnip truck. The poor boy looks like it could be a little to much for me to tackle at this time. I am planning a trip in 3 weeks...first one.. and I am not quite at ease with this. Thanks again for ALL of the responces. dw

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
The wires do run warm. Honda should have used heavier wiring. The best way is to solder them.

Where are you located? There is a shop in Spokane Valley that might do the install for you.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
You may want to look here : http://www.powerwerx.com/

These connectors are head and shoulders above molex and OEM connectors. I use them on my high power dc amateur radio gear w/ no issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts