Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 gl1800 comfort navi pac.I'm wondering is there more power to be had besides exhaust?Also how much power can I find,without breaking my meager bank account,and am interested to find this power w/o sacrificing the great mpg or at the expense of my warranty or longevity!Any help here is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
What exactly are you looking for? Stump pulling power? 0-100 in 3 seconds?

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Try torque loopz to replace the catalytic convertors and torque master slip on mufflers.
Not costly and the manufacturer claims it gives more power to your Wing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm passing people like they're standing still on my factory built Wing. I've got more power than I need already - don't know what I'd do with more of it. Probably get hurt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The stock wing has more power than you need, even lugging it the bike will respond fairly quickly. I put on torque loopz for the sound and it did increase the power some what. I notice it more in the mountains, quicker response and passing power with out down shifting. When I'm in the power band, about 3500 RPM the bike just wants to go faster quicker. I adjusted all the play OUT of my throttle also. Just makes for quicker response which gives the illusion of more power.

·
Registered
691 Posts
There are lots of ways to get more power. My brother was an engine builder for years. His standard question was "How deep are your pocketts?"

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess it is where you come from for I also ride a 1985 V65 Magna which is old school scary fast. I too hit the rev limiter expecting more power from my 2005. I am pleased with the power and speed from my wing but always looking for more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a little?

What exactly are you looking for? Stump pulling power? 0-100 in 3 seconds?
5-20hp would be great!20 being plenty i think,just looking for a little more to actually stay ahead (on the straights) of my sportbike riding friends after smoking them in the twisties believe it or not!I learned to ride in germany,at the german riding school,wich allowed me to learn what track days here in the states teach riders.I also got to practice draggin for 4 years,making me more experienced about riding in my humble opion!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really?

Try torque loopz to replace the catalytic convertors and torque master slip on mufflers.
Not costly and the manufacturer claims it gives more power to your Wing.
do these mods affect my warranty?Are they easy enough to do myself(I'm handy with o wrench)?Where do I get parts?How much will I gain?Will I lose mpg?Are these mods louder?How much louder?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree there's a lot but....

I'm passing people like they're standing still on my factory built Wing. I've got more power than I need already - don't know what I'd do with more of it. Probably get hurt.
I am only about 4 yrs from full liter sportbikes,just looking for a little more!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What?

The stock wing has more power than you need, even lugging it the bike will respond fairly quickly. I put on torque loopz for the sound and it did increase the power some what. I notice it more in the mountains, quicker response and passing power with out down shifting. When I'm in the power band, about 3500 RPM the bike just wants to go faster quicker. I adjusted all the play OUT of my throttle also. Just makes for quicker response which gives the illusion of more power.
Maybe I'm not as handy with a wrench as I thought!!I was not aware of being able to adjust anything out of an electronic throttle,I always thought there was NO cable?!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yesssss!!!!

I guess it is where you come from for I also ride a 1985 V65 Magna which is old school scary fast. I too hit the rev limiter expecting more power from my 2005. I am pleased with the power and speed from my wing but always looking for more.
I totally agree,if you find more power let me know!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
one at a time...

The exhaust mods (g'bye cats) don't affect the warranty, but they do affect emissions, esp in California. he only throttle by wire bike Honda makes is the new VFR, Wings have cables (and they do break according to posts in WingWorld). There are Power Commanders out there for GL1800's that I'm more than a tad curious about, just not ready to make the leap yet. That's about all the coin I'd dump on a performance upgrade for the Loopz and a PC...under $1000 easy. 1800police is more up on the PC than me.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
do these mods affect my warranty?Are they easy enough to do myself(I'm handy with o wrench)?Where do I get parts?How much will I gain?Will I lose mpg?Are these mods louder?How much louder?
I would say no on the mods affecting the warranty, as some people swap the oem mufflers for something else. Swapping out the exhaust is easy, as you're removing the catalytic converters and putting the loopz in their place and adding the mufflers and the company does have baffles for them so you can tone it down. I am not sure about the loss of mpgs, but the manufacturer does say you will get significant power gain.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how?

where is this adjustment for the throttle located?I've looked in the normal location up at the grip,but don't see the adjustment section.By the way,I guess I was'nt as handy after all,I stupidly thought my gl had electronic throttle....DUH!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts