Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for help so far.In reply to some of your ideas,bike has new battery and plugs,electronic ignition,rebuilt carbs,recent tune-up.Choke seems to be ok,as fast idle is on when bike finally starts and bike starts ok(but still with slight difficulty during the day after it's been running earlier).After sitting a day or more it doesn't want to start.It fires but won't stay running unless I keep starter on and keep cranking until it fires to over 2000 rpm.I'm afraid I'll burn up the starter. It starts and runs fine when warm.I think I'll change the fuel pump but at this point I'm just grasping at straws.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Thanks for help so far.In reply to some of your ideas,bike has new battery and plugs,electronic ignition,rebuilt carbs,recent tune-up.Choke seems to be ok,as fast idle is on when bike finally starts and bike starts ok(but still with slight difficulty during the day after it's been running earlier).After sitting a day or more it doesn't want to start.It fires but won't stay running unless I keep starter on and keep cranking until it fires to over 2000 rpm.I'm afraid I'll burn up the starter. It starts and runs fine when warm.I think I'll change the fuel pump but at this point I'm just grasping at straws.
What "help so far"?:eek:

I can definitely understand your concern about cooking your starter. Don't know that a new fuel pump will make a difference, but it couldn't hurt either, except your wallet.

I never assume that just because a part, especially a battery, is new that it works perfectly. I'd still check its voltage dead cold and after the bike has warmed up, and I'd still check the quality of spark cold and warm and what the plugs look like after a good steady warm-up ride.

I'd also pull the intake elbows off and check the condition of the valves, whether they're seating right and at the right timing. On my '83, the guy I bought it from said it "smoked like hell all of a sudden". The right side timing belt had jumped a tooth on the cam pulley and you could see the black deposits right on the intake valves all the way up to the carbs. Good luck!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Compression -

Hey Peter - How many miles are on your bike ? Have you checked the cylinder compression? I believe the early 4 cylinder Goldwings should have around 125 - 210 for a healthy motor. If the ignition checks out and the fuel pump seems OK in warmer temperatures perhaps the compression should be considered next.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi pete, have you tried adjusting the valve lifters, sounds as if the exhaust valves are a little on the tight side. do this when the engine is cold. intake is .002-.003, exhaust is .004-.005. good luck

·
Registered
292 Posts
Try this.

Open the compartment on the rear of the left cylinder head and make certain that the CAM the points ride on is tight. If it is loose, the points will not fire correctly at low RPMs (starting), but the bike will hum along at speed because the centrifugal force keeps the cam in place.

I had a 78 with starting problems, and went through complete HELL trying to figure out why it wouldn't start well or idle, but would run fine on the road. After swapping out the starter, the carbs from another wing, the plugs and more, I towed the bike to the THIRD mechanic, and he figured it out. The cam was loose and floating around, preventing the points from firing at the correct time.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Try this.

Open the compartment on the rear of the left cylinder head and make certain that the CAM the points ride on is tight. If it is loose, the points will not fire correctly at low RPMs (starting), but the bike will hum along at speed because the centrifugal force keeps the cam in place.

I had a 78 with starting problems, and went through complete HELL trying to figure out why it wouldn't start well or idle, but would run fine on the road. After swapping out the starter, the carbs from another wing, the plugs and more, I towed the bike to the THIRD mechanic, and he figured it out. The cam was loose and floating around, preventing the points from firing at the correct time.

Good luck!
Interesting tip, Joe!

Glad to see that you are: "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty we're free at last!"* in Kentucky.:)

* Paraphrasing Martin Luther King.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts