Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a few more questions for the members out there. I have a 83 Goldwing interstate and was told when I bought it there was a way to lower it if I had a hard time reaching the ground on it. I can reach flatfooted but would like to see if I could get a few more inches to be able to handle it a little better.

Is there actually a way to lower the bike?
The next question is I have the seat scooted all the way back and it is awkward to reach the foot break. I need it to be back a few more inches if it is possible at all?
I also have both of my hands go numb after a few minutes of riding, am I doing something wrong with the way I hold the handle bars or the position of the handle bars?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi Brandonjolley,Welcome.
You may have a pinched nerve in your neck causing your hands to go numb. However as others have mentioned in this forum try to relax your grip this may increase your ride time.As you know you wing needs to be fitted to you. the 83 Wing I am unfamiliar with so I will wait on the others to recommend aftermarket goodies to help with your bike tailoring session. Good luck

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Brandon this is a link to a company that has a kit for 1800's you may try calling them to inquire for your bike.

http://lowerwingproducts.com/index.html

I agree with knelson on the grip thing it worked for me & I have been able to successfully help others this way. Relax, the Wing is big & many people feel they have to bull it because it is such. In the right hands it will go where you want to take it.:cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same problem with my hands going numb and a pain in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades. I just adjusted the handlebars where my forearm and hands were parallel to the ground and problem solved. Very comfortable on long rides and no numbness in my hands.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
you could have the seat reworked so it is lower but lowering the whole bike is going to cause a problem of its own and as old as your wing is there isn't much in being made by aftermarket companys. other than modding the seat is as far back as it will go

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m a new guy to this forum with a new bike, 2012 GL1800. I have not rode in 20 years so I may be a little rusty but the bike is so easy and fun to ride that it all came right back as I used to have an 83 Aspencade that I put over 50,000 miles on without any major problems.

Now I experience numbness in my hands as both of my hands go numb after several minutes of riding. I try to shake them out to get the feeling back but at times, especially in the morning, it can get bad so I need to find some tip, tool or technique to help me. Especially when I need to pull the levers. Am I doing something wrong with the way I hold the handle bar grips or the position of the handle bars or my arms?

Knelson shared it could be a pinched nerve in my back but I’m pretty sure this is not my case. He also mentioned to relax your grip so I’ll try to do this more but I don’t think this is it but I’ll try anything. Knelson also mentioned a Wing needs to be fitted to you so I’ll ask my Dealer about this.

Red Cruiser shared he adjusted his handlebars where my forearm and hands were parallel to the ground and problem solved. Very comfortable on long rides and no numbness in my hands.

Could any of you please share more or allow me to call you as I need help here.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Well Joe, Welcome to the GWOF. Just ask and you'll get help here. Lots of good folks around here.
Might want to open a new thread and tell us a little about yourself and your wing.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome Joe, and I echo Rons idea. Not much adjustment on on 1800's bars other than a riser kit (Heli-bar?). I have found that sometimes gloves are an issue with causing numbness, seams and folded (pinching) material can create cramping and nuimb fingers etc. Gloves need to be snug, not tight and constrictive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts