Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How the %)*$# do I get it up on the center stand. Read here about a video out there someplace. Where does it live ?

2. "Ride like a Pro", I own the dvd and am very well versed with the beginning exercises... well at least with my last two bikes .. seven and eight hundred pound bikes. Weave, offset weave, circles and U-turn. With the Wing I had difficultly with all. The main reason for me is that it is extremely difficult to modulate the rear brake. Both position of the pedal and grab are an issue. Damn brake will put you through the windshield if not careful. (PS I often review Houghs Efficient Motorcycling and take a course at least every 2 years)

2a. Is there an adjustment to back off the grab of the rear brake ?
2b. Is there a way to adjust the height of the rear brake lever ? I do have the Kuryakyn heel toe shifter (in fact may just go back to stock).

3. I like to protect the bike with pipe insulation. If the bike goes down, do the crash bars actually take the hit. Of course this will be slow speed manuvers at parking lot speeds. Just dont want to scratch up the nice new tupperware.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
I can help with the video.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Instructions for #1
Dismount the motorcycle, and lower the kick stand. Standing on the left hand side of the bike, with your left hand on the handlebar, and your right with a good grip on the frame near the rear of the bike seat, balance the bike centered on the tires.

Lower the centerstand using your right foot, until both "feet" of the center stand contact the ground evenly. Push firmly on the "lever" portion of the centerstand with your foot.

In one smooth motion, pull up and backwards with both hands while stepping firmly on the center stand lever with your right foot. The motorcycle should move up and on to the center stand smoothly.

Answer to #3, yes the crash bars protect the tupperware. Some guys actually lay the bike over to change the rear tire.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank fellas.

Going out to play with the bike now. Looked at the video and have printed the stand steps and will give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
The problem with center standing the bike is usually giving up too soon. It's wee bit easier with the shock adjustment up at the max 25 setting . The first time you succeed you will say," Oh! It takes this much effort. Now I understand the center-stand ".

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
sumncguy,

If you still struggle another tip is to get a piece of plywood (or other material) about 5/8" Thick & maybe 6"W by 12"L or so that you put the rear tire on. This will raise the bike & when you put the center stand down that will be closer to the lift angle. It obviously is something for the garage work not so much on the road. However if you were stranded somewhere I'm sure you could manage to find something to use.

It makes getting on the center stand much easier. Used it several times when I hurt my back.

·
Registered
515 Posts
item 2) I had a gremlin bell snugly secured to the crash bar of the 1500. Ground the bottom edge of it off practicing slow speed manuvers at the beginning of the 2011 season...practice, practice, practice. Even so, I still can't ride like the motor officers, those guys can grind alot of metal doing their "skills"!:eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dont even try it with the bars not centered!
I'm not small...6'5" - 265, but unless they are centered it is a bear to pull it up!
Try it, you'll see what I mean. Otherwise just slightly bend your right knee, put the stand down on center and while pulling on the left handle bar and seat handles basically just 'stand up' straight with the right leg.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
sumncguy,

If you still struggle another tip is to get a piece of plywood (or other material) about 5/8" Thick & maybe 6"W by 12"L or so that you put the rear tire on. This will raise the bike & when you put the center stand down that will be closer to the lift angle. It obviously is something for the garage work not so much on the road. However if you were stranded somewhere I'm sure you could manage to find something to use.

It makes getting on the center stand much easier. Used it several times when I hurt my back.
Like \:Fossil said the plywood thing works great. I have a piece secured to the garage floor with double stick automotive. Just ride the bike on and stop with the rear wheel on the wood. And besure before you start the lift that BOTH feet of the center stand are on the floor.
I even carry a piece of wood with me on road trips. I just slide it under the rubber strap that holds the tool kit in place in the left saddle bag.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Just like judo, it isn't strength, it's technique...oh yeah, and practice.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
3. I like to protect the bike with pipe insulation. If the bike goes down, do the crash bars actually take the hit. Of course this will be slow speed manuvers at parking lot speeds. Just dont want to scratch up the nice new tupperware.
One little tip on dropping the wing. #1 Rule - You will drop it.:D

Now that that's out of the way...Wait till you are comfortable to add hi-way pegs. Drop it with them on and you can do some major damage.

On the center stand...understanding that you have to balance the bike on stand is important. It feels like your gonna flip it to the other side. Once you have the balance figured out, then you can do the use the techniques mentioned earlier. If you want me to walk you threw it I will pm you my number. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already have highway pegs on it. ... drop it on the easy stuff beginner weaves, circles Uturns ? The iron cross, the tight circles and eights get tough .. well lets hope I dont drop it.

And no, I didnt .... dare I say it .... get it up on the stand today.

But Im stubborn !!

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I already have highway pegs on it. ... drop it on the easy stuff beginner weaves, circles Uturns ? The iron cross, the tight circles and eights get tough .. well lets hope I dont drop it.

And no, I didnt .... dare I say it .... get it up on the stand today.

But Im stubborn !!
PM sent......

·
Vendor
174 Posts
Reverse on - Ride off CRS Center Stand

You could purchase a CRS Reverse On-Ride Off center stand. Use reverse to put it on the stand. Then, get on (and your passenger) and ride off, simple as can be. When putting your bike on the stand while standing beside it, the effort is reduced by approximately 60%. Give us a call at 330-968-4644. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't do like I did..... Standing it up and beginning to put it on the center stand - and I lose my balance and it goes over to the right! Just glad it wasn't next to anything; I was far enough out from the wall and the only thing to touch was the tip of the antenna - it could have been a lot worse! Since then I have gotten it up there many times but it can be tough for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts