Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just got back from an outstanding 11 day trip from Montreal, to Deals Gap via the Skyline Dr, and BRP and every back road in between. 3400 miles.

Much of the success of the trip was due to suggestions from people on this forum, or by just reading others experiences.

We tried to stay off the highways, and enjoyed back roads and small towns. While Deals Gap was no big deal, we rode much better many times over. The BRP roads were always interesting even at 45 mph, and they are continually improving them. Only a couple of minor delays for paving etc. Staying in the mountains made for much cooler riding, with quite cool temperatures in the early morning. Just the way us Canadian like our weather.

Took too much cloths! Especially the Wife.

We stuck to Days Inn, EconoLodge, Comfort Inn, etc, that were less than $80.00 / night with continental Breakfast. On the rode by 8:00 am, off by 5:00 pm. Enjoyed Maggie Valley, Cherokee, Blowing Rock (village Inn), excellent value. Stayed in Lake George, NY on way back. Over priced, for everything. Noisy Bikes!

Hit two half days of light rain, but had riding suits (Waterproof), so kept on riding. Some of the southern part of the Parkway was in cloud, so had to ride those portions again on the return trip to see what we missed.

GW (2008) ran flawlessly, exceptional gas mileage running at 45-50 mph. Made over 250 miles on a tank a few times.

I'm sorry it's over, but I would do it again next year.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time. Last year my wife and I did NH and VT to Lake George then stayed a couple of days in Montreal spending it with friends living there. This year we went with a few people doing the same at the time of Americade (first time for us) but not Montreal. We also had an amazing time. On another trip we spent three days doing the Ottawa Valley with some one in our club leading the trip. He grew up in Pembroke. We plan on doing it again in fall to see the changing of the leaves.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip. Don't you just love a long trip on a Wing... I've been on many of the roads and to many of the places you mentioned and they are all great.

Any pics to share with us?? Ride safe..

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Glad you had a good time on your trip.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Glad for you horgie, but soooo jealous. Sig other has 5 years left to go, and me at least that, but by that time the Wing should be just about broke in and rarin' to go. Might have to get another trailer to haul the golf gear along:D

·
Registered
253 Posts
horgie- Glad you had a good time. The road is great on the BRP, isn't it? We were sorry to leave it. Awesome, but I don't see any pictures of the trip:rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'm still talking about it, and thinking about what we are going to do next year.
Yup got home Monday afternoon, and Tues night went for a ride with the boys. Wife said you should try it without a passenger and all the baggage. It does feel different, and kinda frisky. But the roads up here just don't measure up to your roads down south.

I'll have to work on the pictures, not sure about how to post them.

Ride safe

Horgie

·
Registered
793 Posts
Glad you had a good time on the BRP and it sounds like your ready to head back for Wing Ding in Knoxville next year. Knoxville is only a hop, skip and a jump away from Deals Gap compared to where you came from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We did sort of the same trip except from the opposite end. We started out South of Miami and turned around in Front Royal Va. We spent 2 nights at Peaks of Otter and just loved the peace and quiet there.

·
Registered
253 Posts
We did sort of the same trip except from the opposite end. We started out South of Miami and turned around in Front Royal Va. We spent 2 nights at Peaks of Otter and just loved the peace and quiet there.
We spent the night at Peaks of Otter, too. Very quiet and the ride in there was great, too. Arrived on Friday night, seafood buffet and they throw in a lobster with it. No TV, no radio, nothing...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts