Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using to get some air to your cheeks.? After several hours riding in this heat it gets a little hot & damp down there. I've seen some cloth covers, but most looked kindof raggedy.
Just curious what others have found works to promote air circulation in the nethers whilst riding(and I mean besides stopping at Taco Bell for the Grande Bean Burrito. :D). :cool: d:^) Schneeks.

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
A lot of guys here use a gelpad that they pickup at Walmart others use the Airhawk pad but that raises you higher in the seat.

Then there are those of us that use these. I wear them & can ride just as hard as the guys with the gel pads. They have no seams & are made of a material that wicks moisture away so you remain very comfortable. In addition they make a great helmet liner & shirts/pants as well.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
You might also look at a bead seat cover. Besides reducing pressure points they do create some air movement in "the nether regions.":eek::D I'm moving toward a thin gel pad with a bead cover. My problem is that I have a rapidly disappearing nether region, should be at skin on bone within a couple of years!:eek:

P.S. I've never understood the term "monkey butt", since monkeys don't wear clothes and most don't ride motorcyles!:p

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
I'm gonna disagree with The Fossil (this is truly rare). The Airhawk has been the most comfortable seat cushion I've ever tried, but I don't think it does a thing for venting or cooling. It has several small air pockets. Fill it with air, set it on the seat, sit on it and let the air out until you no longer feel any pressure points. Think Sleep Number Bed. And you can let out enough air so that you have minimal increase in seat height. But in doing that you have filled all the voids were air would have vented between your nether and the bike's seat.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I also use the Wal mart pad, I went to pick up another one for the GF and all of the locations around here no longer stock them. Might have to take a trip just to pick up a few extra.

I have heard of some guys using 2 pads. If you feel a little cramped in the drivers seat an added inch with the pad seems to help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use the Walmart gel pad only on long trips. They are used to get my legs stretched out more as I use three of them. I don't really notice a difference as far as air flow goes.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Used a faux sheepskin on the 1200, nothing on the 1500 or so far on the 1800. I've had the syndrom on every bike on certain days, it's a motorcycle...every day is different. Lots of guys using the beads though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up the bead cover at Wally World yesterday. It's shaped like a car seat tho'. Can it be cut to fit.? Looks like there's a possibility it may unravel if I tried that. Thanks.. :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Picked up the bead cover at Wally World yesterday. It's shaped like a car seat tho'. Can it be cut to fit.? Looks like there's a possibility it may unravel if I tried that. Thanks.. :cool: d:^) Schneeks..
Yes you can cut it. I just cut the monofilament lines a little outside (waste side) of where I wanted the cover to end and then reworked them back through the beads as seemed appropriate and tied them off. Mine is in it's 2nd year and still hasn't unravelled.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I lost most of my butt padding to a major weight loss due to being sick . so my one time best seat on my wing now brothered me. I purchased a Alaska leather sheep skin
pad it fits well and helps some .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can't wait to try new sheepskin

I had started searching different forums and a number recommended sheepskin. It seemed like it would be a sweaty mess but most swear by them. I guess the pile of loose wool lets air flow and also cuts down on the pressure points. My wife and I rode through Springfield MO in September and asked at Gene's Gallery about seat covers. They mentioned a place north of Branson that does nothing but sheepskin work. Just stopped by on Tuesday on the way back from a Branson trip and picked up a set. Misty Mountain Sheepskin is basically one guy (Gene/Geno) who buys skins from New Zealand (tanned and died in China) and then does all the trimming and sewing in his shop. $180 for a Goldwing size set (requires an older, larger sheep) and he has added non-slip and elastic straps/buckles to allow quick on/off. He also said that after a couple years, he would replace the elastic if it looses its stretch. I know this sounds like an advertisement, but when you find some small business proprietor that seems to really care about what he does (he didn't get into sheepskin until he began using them on his Wing in the 80s) and relies on word of mouth for advertising, I like to use my mouth. My brother is in a wheelchair and while we were there, he measured the chair seat and made up a cushion from wool trimmings. Only took about half an hour while we enjoyed a drive around a nice loop through some roads that are crying to be visited on the Wing next time we are there.
If you are thinking about sheepskins, check out his website and then call. He repeatedly stressed calling to discuss anything special or just to learn more about your usage. www.mistymountainsheepskin.com

I'm excited to try them out on some long rides.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sheep Skin -

After trying several alternatives for the long haul - I found that sitting on a sheepskin is my preference. I had looked at a couple of the custom sheepskin seat covers cut specifically for a motorcycle but just couldn't bring myself to pay the $100 - $150 or more. On ebay I found several sellers who had extra thick genuine sheepskin seat covers for individual automotive bucket seats that were considered slightly irregular in size or color. They were treated with a protective anti-wear coating to resist stains. At the time, the price was about $20 plus shipping and came in grey, black and a light brown.

With the seat of my Goldwing removed, I cut the sheepskin loose enough to fit all the contours and used fishing line filament to hold it in place. It takes only about 10 anchor lines stretched under the bottom of the seat. Once I had put a few miles on the bike, the new sheepskin seat cover was found to be very comfortable and form fitted to both mine and my wife's backside. I use a large trash bag to keep the moisture off it if riding in the rain and add a couple of bungee cords to hold the plastic in place when parked outside at night.

Worked pretty good for me -

Michael :)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I bought two small lambskins from Ikea, about $28 bucks apiece. It sounds weird, but they were a perfect fit - almost like custom cut. We just lay them out and sit on them, no tie-downs. They work wonders, comfortable and help to keep me drier. I don't use them in cool weather, I like the heaters. Only drawback is they are white, but no big deal for me.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70026822/
I use one of those Ikea sheepskins as well - and I noticed the other day that Costco had a stack of them too. I alternate between that, beads, gell pad, and nothing; but I find I can last longest with the beads. The other advantage to beads is that in the rain you're not sitting in the water that pools on the seat.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
In an attempt to improve the monkey butt on our 1200, the seat is going in for a rebuild. 100 mile in one go is time to get off at the moment. I would like to get to 150 miles without too much discomfort before getting off for a rest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When we were in Durango CO. last june, we found a large sheepskin that fit my seat perfectly for around $80.00. All I did was to cut a slit where the post for the backrest of my Hartco seat goes in. That also keeps it from moving around. In the heat or cold, it is an improvement. I just got back from a 2,300 mile trip where I put in a couple 12 hour days in the saddle. I wore bycycle shorts under my jeans to also help pad things. This was the first time to go that long with no a**-ache. My hips and knees bothered me before my butt got sore.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Back when I had a Jeep I used a bead cover for the Front seats, and they worked very well. I have been debating getting one for the Wing.
The Sheap skin might be another alternative.
Going to try the beads first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.