Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We read so much about motorcyclists being hit by cagers. I have lost friends to these accidents also, it's totally heart breaking. I believe anything and everything you can do to be seen is so important. I had a VTX 1300 that I installed a headlight modulator on. I thought maybe it could help. Boy o boy did it! I found that with the headlight flashing, I had far less people pulling out in front of me. It was like, maybe they thought I was some emergency vehicle or something. They even stopped pulling over into my lane after passing me too soon. I haven't had my Goldwing long and haven't even ridden it enough to get used to it. I plan to have a headlight modulator installed early next year when I have the front end rebuilt...before Spring. The modulator is one of the best safeguards I believe there is out there. If you don't have one, I recommend, for your own safety to invest in one. This probably isn't in the right section, but I figure the Powers that be will put it there. Thank You,titan48
May God Bless!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I agree !! I have both the headlight modulator and brake light modulator. I like them both. I know the headlight modulator has stopped several cages from pulling out in front of me going thru towns. The more you can make you and your wing seen the better off you are!!

Ride Safe Always !!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
A long time acquatance died when a lady pulled out in front of him. 40+ years riding, on a BMW with a Modulator.

I was hit on a bicycle wearing a white T shirt, safety vest, and a red helmet in bright sunshine with no other vehicles around....

Just passing through on my way home. John 3:16

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
It's good to do everything you can to alert Grope to your presence. I don't have modulators, but I do turn on my LED driviing lights when I feel it's prudent. When I feel the traffic is threatening, I change my riding habits somewhat (when I'm riding solo) and ride to so as to be more conspicuous (call it more aggressive if you like). I make eye contact with motorists beside me and take up the mose visible (to other motorists) lane position. Now I don't recommend the next step to just anyone, but I'm not adverse top leaving a boot imprint on a car door if someone has a habit of wandering across the dividing line if they don't take notice of a rather insistent m/c (mine) horn. But that's an extreme measure left only to the remote chance there is no other way out.
Leave yourself an escape lane and above all watch the front wheels of the vehicles ahead of you. You can see the steering wheels turn if the driver wants to swerve into your lane before you'll see anything else they do. Don't expect a turn signal either, at least not before hand. Obviously if there is some dumba$$ cager being a menace to you and others, find a way off the road and take another route.

·
Registered
72 Posts
White bike (the fastest color), white helmets, modulating high beams and brake lights, and PIAA LED driving lights. You can see me coming about 1/2 mile away. Folks still pull out infront of me. However, I have no doubt that I am seen significantly more, and more often, than without all the above. Cagers be cagers!

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's good to do everything you can to alert Grope to your presence. I don't have modulators, but I do turn on my LED driviing lights when I feel it's prudent. When I feel the traffic is threatening, I change my riding habits somewhat (when I'm riding solo) and ride to so as to be more conspicuous (call it more aggressive if you like). I make eye contact with motorists beside me and take up the mose visible (to other motorists) lane position. Now I don't recommend the next step to just anyone, but I'm not adverse top leaving a boot imprint on a car door if someone has a habit of wandering across the dividing line if they don't take notice of a rather insistent m/c (mine) horn. But that's an extreme measure left only to the remote chance there is no other way out.
Leave yourself an escape lane and above all watch the front wheels of the vehicles ahead of you. You can see the steering wheels turn if the driver wants to swerve into your lane before you'll see anything else they do. Don't expect a turn signal either, at least not before hand. Obviously if there is some dumba$$ cager being a menace to you and others, find a way off the road and take another route.
Plus one here. Also you might find that a flashing light is not legal and gets you a visit from the men in blue.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Plus one here. Also you might find that a flashing light is not legal and gets you a visit from the men in blue.
I have a headlight modulator and I have never had a problem with law enforcement and I have been all over the USA, plus I have never met anyone who has!

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
I think it would be a problem if it were a colored light and not the headlight.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I hear people say that more lights and modulators don't help .... but where are your statistics? Common sense dictates that a flashing or modulating light has more chance of getting attention, so it can't hurt! Now! Using a little more common sense, we all know nothing is 100% effective when dealing with human factors and in-case you have been in a coma for quite a while technology has been at work creating products and gadgets that are being used by bikers and cagers alike. I have seen fatalities caused by the biker as well as the cager, lets face it, many riders are killed by their own negligence, you just hear the horror stories about the cager turning into the path of a biker. What about the drunk on his bike or the biker who is listening to his helmet speakers and doesn't hear the horns blowing and a myriad of other scenarios. Lights are good and common sense is better ..... the human factor is the answer to safety issues!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree w/ Budoka, don't have headlite modulars and do not like them. I am a retired deputy sheriff and have first hand experience w/ what is called tunnel vision. Oncoming motorists will concentrate on the flashing headlite and subconsciously come right at you. Many law enforcement have been injured or killed by this act while on a traffic stop or working a wreck. If you want to see for yourself, concentrate on a small rock or oncoming vehicles and you will see that you will many times hit the rock or veer towards what you ar looking at. Also, what about the other motorists or your buddies that you are following on the road. I do run my LED driving lites, BUT, others will see you or not. Ride Defensively

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
I have a Kisan headlight modulator and people have told me they see me coming from way off, also have the rear end lit up as well. I think they work and makes me feel llike they do.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have been a LEO since 1981(now working "inside"). In all those years I have never heard of any accidents caused by wig-wag headlamps(which is different than modulating headlamps)on emergency vehicles????
During the many many times I had to make emergency runs w/lights on, I found people pulled to the side as they should, rather than driving at me!
I endorse the headlamp modulating headlamps. Had them on my 2000SE Wing and performed/alerted just fine. never had anyone drive at me! Just one opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I would be interested to see a accident report or results of a study that concludes this to be true. I never had a problem as a LEO either and never heard of this phenomenon until now.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I had this happen right after I installed the headlight modulator on my 93 a number of years ago.
The situation: we live about 3 1/4 miles south of the Canadian border in Northwest Washington. The Canadian trucker in this area run on CB channel 1, the same as most winger in the area.
I was headed east toward home on the Badger rd. (hwy 548) when I hear the following conversation on the CB between two truckers obviously traveling together.
TRuck 1:Hey ??????? looks like that bike coming our way has a problem with his head light.
Truck 2, Naw it's supposed to that.
Truck 1. Why ??????
Truck 2. Did you see him.
Truck 1 sure I see him
Truck 2. That's why
After a pause
Truck 1. Good idea.
Pretty much have it on all the time.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I have the headlight modulators and run them most of the time.
People have pulled over and stopped pulling into traffic because of them.
The reason being that you are being seen; Which is the point!
I did get pulled over by a sheriff and was ordered to turn them off because it was not legal.
I showed him the paperwork from the Alberta and Canadian government however, he insisted it was not legal.
I invited him to give me a ticket but his reply was that we were out of his jurisdiction.
When all is said and done I believe that riding with the modulator will
actually save lives and if it causes a small discomfort for the car drivers
that is to bad.
The alternative is much worse.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
OK, I did some research and this phenomenon is not ... I repeat .... not tunnel vision ! It is called "target fixation " .... the driver of motorcycles and bicycles are so focused on an object that they do not take the necessary steps to avoid that object. Now with that said, this can happen to pilots, etc! Any object may be the focus of the operator, it can be a vehicle, person or even a mountain that the operator is so intently focused on. So I would think the odds of a modulated light actually causing an accident would be out of this world. I think this would be a good one for myth busters! !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Head light modulaters are legal in all 50 states. It's a federal law...some folks carry a copy of the law with them to show the less knowledgeable LEO's the truth. I do not like them myself.....Ride like you're invisible, be alert.

Mark

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
OK, I did some research and this phenomenon is not ... I repeat .... not tunnel vision ! It is called "target fixation " .... the driver of motorcycles and bicycles are so focused on an object that they do not take the necessary steps to avoid that object. Now with that said, this can happen to pilots, etc! Any object may be the focus of the operator, it can be a vehicle, person or even a mountain that the operator is so intently focused on. So I would think the odds of a modulated light actually causing an accident would be out of this world. I think this would be a good one for myth busters! !!!!
Target fixation= that why we are told not to look at the object on the road. Look at it and you'll hit it. Look through the curve not at the shoulder of the road.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I have been a LEO since 1981(now working "inside"). In all those years I have never heard of any accidents caused by wig-wag headlamps(which is different than modulating headlamps)on emergency vehicles????
During the many many times I had to make emergency runs w/lights on, I found people pulled to the side as they should, rather than driving at me!
I endorse the headlamp modulating headlamps. Had them on my 2000SE Wing and performed/alerted just fine. never had anyone drive at me! Just one opinion.
What would be the difference between wig wag and modulation? The only thing I can thing is more than one light?? :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.