Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have had a nolan n 100 for probably 15 years or so, this helmet has been incredible and taken me many miles down the road and has been my main full face modular other than a half helmet and a few other full face that I rarely wear. I figured I better protect my head and get a new helmet. I am lost on what type of Modular to get and who to order from. Has anyone ordered from Chromeburner? I don't know if it's better to order a helmet from a company in the US or Europe, as Chromeburner seems to have some good deals with free shipping if you meet the price point. The only part you pay after that is customs charges that I was told are 10-20 percent of your order.

I have been watching and reading to many reviews. I am looking at the Nolan N 100 5 Plus and can save a few hundred dollars ordering outside of the U.S.
I am looking at:

Nolan

Schuberth C5 looks to be an incredible helmet.

HJC i90

Shoei: Don't wanna pay 800 just for the helmet so that excludes Shoei.

Klim: TK1200: I dig the helmet shield transitioning for you automatically. However, I do like to ride a bit with my chinbar up and would think I would want a helmet that has the internal sun visor. What Klim has is spectacular and would be awesome, I just think maybe not due to not having an internal sun visor to use when you shield is up.

Any suggestions or what you like and companies that have had good service would be great. Also, ordering from Motocard or Chromeburner again I can save a few hundred dollars.

Thanks,

Matt

· Super Moderator
13,372 Posts
While I can't offer up a definite answer, I will offer some advice. You'll want to try on any helmet before purchase, as they tend to fit different shapes of heads. The internal sun visor on some brands is somewhat useless, as they don't come down far enough.

Reactions: GLblinded

· Super Moderator
15,511 Posts
i have a shoei and i don't like the weight of it and the sun shde is not dark enough for me. my local M/C dealer had them on sale a few years ago

Reactions: Cantankerous

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Dennis Kirk has a good selection of helmets and has a totally awesome return policy on riding gear
if you order a helmet from them, it comes with a prepaid return label, if it don't fit send it back and they send a different size

for me, the shape of my head, I always go with Bell helmets
I currently have a Bell Revolver EVO modular helmet
Bell has a policy that if you have a Bell helmet and you are in a wreck, send them the damaged helmet and they will give a good discount on a new one

they have a tendency to rename helmets after upgrades to what they are

· Super Moderator
15,511 Posts
even if you don't buy from DK the website is a good place for info on a helmet you might be looking at. if i can ride some time this year i'll have to buy a new lighter helmet. DK is one of the few places that list the weight

· Registered
110 Posts
Two things- you went 15 years with the same helmet? I assume you know that helmets last 5 years maximum so it’s good you’re getting a new one.
Also, do you have a Cycle Gear store near you?
It’s super important to go to a physical store and try on different brands and types . The Cycle Gear employees will be able to guide you in making a selection. A poor fitting helmet will be uncomfortable and could be dangerous.
I’d recommend that when you try on a helmet leave it on for several minutes to make there are no pressure points that come through.
Lastly don’t cheap out. A good helmet is going to cost some money. You don’t want to be laying in the ER wishing you’d spent the money for better gear.

· Registered
2012 comfort,navi,audio,XM/ 2002 1100 Shadow Spirit
1,783 Posts
I use a Shoei Neotec ll. I love the lid. I ordered it through Revzilla which ROCKS! BTW. There is a company called Champion helmets in the Netherlands. I have no experience with them but their prices are way cheaper than any US store. I am looking to get into a Schuberth C5 in the future and was considering buying from them.

· Registered
2,726 Posts
If you're not shopping in person, make sure whomever you order from has a very good return policy. The last couple of helmets I bought from Fortnine, who have a flat rate return cost, although I only needed it once. If you love your Nolan, then it must fit you quite well, and going to a newer one of the same is probably a good idea. I have a Shoei Neotec II and like it very much, but when I ordered my wife a Nolan N100-5 I was very impressed with it. If anything happens to my Shoei I think I'd look at one for myself. Good luck!

· Registered
2004 Black GL1800A
661 Posts
I just bought a NEXX x.vilitur helmet from a small local bike shop (Strath Moto in Edmonton, in case anyone in the area is interested). Two great guys own the shop and I’ve bought lots of gear from them. I was able to try on the helmet in the shop, then they ordered it in the colour I wanted. I haven’t worn it on the road but so far I’ve been impressed with its modular operation and the dark drop down visor. As others have said, try on a helmet in a shop, then you can buy from them or you can order it online wherever you want.

Reactions: edmKC

1,206 Posts
I’ll be in the market for a replacement for my Neotec 1 this year. I will be replacing it with a Neotec 2. And I’ll be buying from Sierra Electronics. They have my size and cheek pads needed on file, and will outfit it with new audio before shipment. Now it’s just coping with the fact that it will be over 1000 dollars, again.

· Registered
59 Posts
I purchased a Schuberth C3Pro last year from Chome Burner at a great price. Zero problems, quick shipment, full factory warranty, NO unexpected charges, or surprises. They even included a "dew rag" to place over my head to protect the helmet liner from perspiration, and skin oils. Could not be happier. Intentionally avoided the C5. Do some research.

You waited 15 years to buy a new lid? That helmet died about ten years ago. Good thing it was never asked to do any work.

· Registered
30 Posts
I went with the LS2 because of it's versatility. You can use it as a full face helmet and a 3/4 helmet. I like the fact that the chin piece can be slid all the way to the back of the helmet so that it doesn't catch any air. You need to order it one size larger than your usual helmet size. But you can also change out the padding with different sizes because there are only two shell sizes. I've had mine for a year now and am pleased with it..

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I have had a nolan n 100 for probably 15 years or so, this helmet has been incredible and taken me many miles down the road and has been my main full face modular other than a half helmet and a few other full face that I rarely wear. I figured I better protect my head and get a new helmet. I am lost on what type of Modular to get and who to order from. Has anyone ordered from Chromeburner? I don't know if it's better to order a helmet from a company in the US or Europe, as Chromeburner seems to have some good deals with free shipping if you meet the price point. The only part you pay after that is customs charges that I was told are 10-20 percent of your order. I have been watching and reading to many reviews. I am looking at the Nolan N 100 5 Plus and can save a few hundred dollars ordering outside of the U.S. I am looking at: Nolan Schuberth C5 looks to be an incredible helmet. HJC i90 Shoei: Don't wanna pay 800 just for the helmet so that excludes Shoei. Klim: TK1200: I dig the helmet shield transitioning for you automatically. However, I do like to ride a bit with my chinbar up and would think I would want a helmet that has the internal sun visor. What Klim has is spectacular and would be awesome, I just think maybe not due to not having an internal sun visor to use when you shield is up. Any suggestions or what you like and companies that have had good service would be great. Also, ordering from Motocard or Chromeburner again I can save a few hundred dollars. Thanks, Matt
My wife and I have several HJC FGJet Helmets. We like the price and the interal sun visor. I order many items from Revzilla when on sale.

· Premium Member
881 Posts
I'm reluctant to buy a helmet off line, the issue is the fitment of the helmet. I've ordered one off line in the past and had to send it back because it didn't fit. I wear a XL and the one I ordered from HJC was too tight. Sent it back and went down to our local Cycle Gear store and bought one. Being able to try them on before buying is a huge plus.

· Registered
2013 F6B
33 Posts
I just got Schuberth C3 Pro and am happy with it. It's a very quiet modular and fits me well. I'm still getting used to it after my loose fitting cheap modular. I will echo what others have said about the need to test fit. I actually got the C4 for Christmas and even one size up I literally couldn't get it on my head. I then tried the Sedici, which fit well, but with a chin strap that pinched my neck. Finally the C3 Pro fit well. Revzilla/Cyclegear were very good about returns, whether purchased locally or over the 'net.

· Registered
48 Posts
Hey all, I have had a nolan n 100 for probably 15 years or so, this helmet has been incredible and taken me many miles down the road and has been my main full face modular other than a half helmet and a few other full face that I rarely wear. I figured I better protect my head and get a new helmet. I am lost on what type of Modular to get and who to order from. Has anyone ordered from Chromeburner? I don't know if it's better to order a helmet from a company in the US or Europe, as Chromeburner seems to have some good deals with free shipping if you meet the price point. The only part you pay after that is customs charges that I was told are 10-20 percent of your order.

I have been watching and reading to many reviews. I am looking at the Nolan N 100 5 Plus and can save a few hundred dollars ordering outside of the U.S.
I am looking at:

Nolan

Schuberth C5 looks to be an incredible helmet.

HJC i90

Shoei: Don't wanna pay 800 just for the helmet so that excludes Shoei.

Klim: TK1200: I dig the helmet shield transitioning for you automatically. However, I do like to ride a bit with my chinbar up and would think I would want a helmet that has the internal sun visor. What Klim has is spectacular and would be awesome, I just think maybe not due to not having an internal sun visor to use when you shield is up.

Any suggestions or what you like and companies that have had good service would be great. Also, ordering from Motocard or Chromeburner again I can save a few hundred dollars.

Thanks,

Matt
I've had A Klim TK1200 for about a year and it's by far my favorite helmet so far. The Transition Shield is a total game changer. It's very light, especially for a modular helmet and even came with a Pin Lock insert. I usually find HJC helmets fit my particular noggin and this Klim is the same.

· Registered
2004 GL 1800 Flare Red
5 Posts
I too ordered the Schuberth C3 from Chrome Burner. Best price I could find anywhere and registered it on Schuberth's website without problems. I've owned many Shoei and Arai helmets over many years of touring and this helmet is equal or better than any I have had. I mailed it to J&M Audio and they installed the newest wired headset. My 2004 Wing and I prefer the battery less function of wired since my GPS, mp3, cell phone, am/fm, cb and intercom all work great through it.

I love bluetooth but enjoy the full functionality of corded.

Ride Safe

1,206 Posts
I too ordered the Schuberth C3 from Chrome Burner. Best price I could find anywhere and registered it on Schuberth's website without problems. I've owned many Shoei and Arai helmets over many years of touring and this helmet is equal or better than any I have had. I mailed it to J&M Audio and they installed the newest wired headset. My 2004 Wing and I prefer the battery less function of wired since my GPS, mp3, cell phone, am/fm, cb and intercom all work great through it.

I love bluetooth but enjoy the full functionality of corded.

Ride Safe
How about posting a pic of your helmet???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts