Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Model identification

20K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  mainewing 
#1 ·
Hello to all my new fellow motorcyclists. I'm soon to turn 74 years young, currently riding a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture. The last Gold Wing I had was 1975 GL1000. Put a sidecar on it, put two young sons in the hack, my wife on the back and away we went.

I'm seriously considering switching to a GL1800, maybe anywhere from a 2003 to a 2009. Budget won't allow new. I'm confused about the model designations, all GL1800, but followed by P or HPN or PM or HPNA or something similar. I'm guessing these have to do with the specific models, what accessories or optional equipment they are eqipped with when shipped from the factory. Can someone please enlighten me as to their meaning?

Thanks,

Barnstormer

#2 ·
I mainly wanted to Welcome you to the GWOF & all the 1800 guys will soon bombard you with info.

I'll keep it short & provide a link that will help for now. Lots of info just click on it & read.

Again welcome & have fun.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

#3 · (Edited)
First, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. The current models are

Premium Audio
Premium Audio / Nav / XM
Premium Audio / Nav / XM / ABS
Premium Audio / Nav / XM / ABS / Airbag.

Price goes up accordingly.

#4 · (Edited)
Your right STORMER, there are a lot of letters following. My bike is an '08 with Premium ( ? ) Audio; Heated Seats and Hand Grips; Navigation. My model # is : GL18HPNM8. From this we can deduce that H = Heated seats; P= Premium Audio; N = Navigation; M = I don't know; and 8 = Year ( ? ), ergo, A = Anti-lock brakes; AD = Airbag

#6 ·
Welcome Barnstormer from Central Washington. You are doing about what I recently did. I to will soon hit the 74 mark and just switched from a Yamaha VStar1100 Classic to a 93 Aspencade. I had Goldwings for years and for some crazy reason decided I didn't need such a big and fancy bike. Well, I DO and I love being back. Great group here, enjoy.
Ken

#12 ·
Welcome Barnstormer. 2003's advice is likely the best. Up here we only have two models: AL and AD, the AD has the airbag and the AL has everything but. I think Mother Honda does that on purpose cause she knows us Canucks get balled up real easy!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.