Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just chanced my oil and i found Mobil 1 20w50 for bikes .....my bike has alys used Mobil 1 since new 10w30 ..It has 105000 miles...i notised the bike and the trany is really quiet now....I also changed the timing belts added a triger wheel new plugs.....bike seems to have a lot more power.....any body use shell rotella t 15w40 sinthenic?????

·
Registered
691 Posts
I use rotella in the motorhome. Seems to do a great job. As for the Green Wing I use GN4 20 w 50. But it was on synthetic for most of its 150,000 mi. Good compression and runs great. But I change oil often (3000 mi). It looses about 1 qt in 3000 mi but I feel most of that is from putting it on the side stand.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I used to use Spectro 4 in my 1200 and 1500 and it was fantastic. It even got rid of most of the clunky shift from 1st to 2nd on the 1200. My '09 hasn't had the oil changed yet but I'm considering synthetic when I do. Anyone else tried the Spectro in an 1800?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Wondering why people would use 20W-50 in an engine designed to run on 10W-30/10W-40 ?

You are costing yourself fuel mileage and HP plus increase in oil temp and not getting any more protection.

Just curious.

Bob

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wondering why people would use 20W-50 in an engine designed to run on 10W-30/10W-40 ?

You are costing yourself fuel mileage and HP plus increase in oil temp and not getting any more protection.

Just curious.

Bob
... HOWDY ... BOB ... DOES AMSOIL MAKE A 10-40 SYN BLEND ??? IF SO HOW MUCH PER/QUART ??? THANKS RON ...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bob
That's what a Honda dealer suggested for a bike with 150,000 miles. But, you have a good point there as well.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Bob
That's what a Honda dealer suggested for a bike with 150,000 miles. But, you have a good point there as well.
Yeah... That is just like the marketing "Hype" with "High Mileage" oil for cars with XX number of miles..

If you Don't have a problem with the Viscosity oil that is recommended, don't change.. Go lighter if you can.

FEW parts people or mechanics know much about oil although they will try to impress upon you differently.

Ask them a few questions...
What do the numbers and the "W" such as 10W-40 mean ?
Does a Newer API Rating, SL or SM automatically supercede an API Rating of say SG/SH or even SJ ?
Does a GL-5 Automatically supercede a GL-4 ? (Gear Lube)
Is a Synthetic oil such as 10W-40 "thinner" than a petroleum 10W-40 ?
Is a Break-In period required before switching to synthetic ?
Is there a problem with using synthetics in wet clutch applications ?
Will using a Synthetic oil void your warranty ?

You will be surprised at the answers you get from people making "recommendations" and not even knowing the basics.

Don't get me wrong.. There are a few Parts people and Technicians that know, but, they are few and far between.

Bob

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah... That is just like the marketing "Hype" with "High Mileage" oil for cars with XX number of miles..

If you Don't have a problem with the Viscosity oil that is recommended, don't change.. Go lighter if you can.

FEW parts people or mechanics know much about oil although they will try to impress upon you differently.

Ask them a few questions...
What do the numbers and the "W" such as 10W-40 mean ?
Does a Newer API Rating, SL or SM automatically supercede an API Rating of say SG/SH or even SJ ?
Does a GL-5 Automatically supercede a GL-4 ? (Gear Lube)
Is a Synthetic oil such as 10W-40 "thinner" than a petroleum 10W-40 ?
Is a Break-In period required before switching to synthetic ?
Is there a problem with using synthetics in wet clutch applications ?
Will using a Synthetic oil void your warranty ?

You will be surprised at the answers you get from people making "recommendations" and not even knowing the basics.

Don't get me wrong.. There are a few Parts people and Technicians that know, but, they are few and far between.

... HOWDY ... BOB YOU NAILED THIS ONE ... I DID A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR "BEST MOTORCYCLE OILS" ... I WENT TO A INDEPENDANT RESEARCH SITE FOR MOTOR OILS ... I'LL KEEP IT BRIEF ... BACK IN THE 50's-80's MOTOR'S SIZES AND RPM's NEEDED DIFFERENT FORMULAS OF OIL ... NOW MOTORCYCLE SHOPS AND MANUFACTURES SAY YOU NEED A (MOTORCYCLE OIL) GUESS WHAT AS I SUSPECTED IT'S A MARKETING PLOY SO THEY CAN CHARGE DOUBLE IF NOT TRIPLE THE PRICE FOR THE "MOTORCYCLE OIL - V - AUTO OILS ... TODAYS CARS HAVE SMALLER HIGHER REVING MOTORS THAN IN THE PAST ... SOOOOO ... BOTTOM LINE YOU CAN USE A GOOD QUALITY AUTO OIL WITH THE HIGHER RATINGS AND SAVE YOUSELF BIG $$ ... BOB ... I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP ... MY NEXT AND FUTURE OIL CHANGES WILL BE WITH - AMSOIL -AUTO- ... RON ... P.S. MY 2001 DAKOTA 4X4 W/150,000 WILL BE SPINNING WITH AMSOIL TOO ...

·
Registered
691 Posts
" Ron
I am thinking of changeing to Amsoil in my Motorhome, bike and 09 Honda Pilot. I looked up the same report. I realized the same thing as Ron. With 150,000 miles on it, the Green Wing needs a little love.
Thanks Clay.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Actually, up to around 2000, you are correct...Auto and M/C oils were alike.

But since then, Motorcycle oils are a different product in many cases..

You CANNOT use the Higher API Ratings in a Wet Clutch UNLESS they carry a JASO MA or MA 2 Rating...

Please take a look at the G-2156 Link in our Sig.

If anyone says there is no difference between an auto/diesel oil and a Motorcycle oil they have been misinformed.

A good M/C oil will will have additives specific to motorcycles such as clutch performance enhancers, anti-wear additives for the tranny, anti-foaming agents, a high TBN, Etc..

Whether Synthetic or Petroleum, I Always recommend a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO MA, better yet, MA 2 Rating but never an MB.

Bob

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
When I switched from Motul to Amsoil, my mileage dropped 10%. Annual oil change is nice though.
If you stayed with the same viscosity, I find that quite odd as AMSOIL 10W-40 is actually a little light on the cSt Scale so you should have about the same or better fuel mileage everything else being equal.

Good isn't cheap
Cheap isn't good

Bob

·
Registered
405 Posts
In my old bike I used 5W40 Rotella syn. $19 per gallon and liked it pretty well. Noticed that Wally World has Mobil 1 fully syn. 10W40 (non energy conserving) for $21 per 5 quarts. Thinking about giving it a try.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
In my old bike I used 5W40 Rotella syn. $19 per gallon and liked it pretty well. Noticed that Wally World has Mobil 1 fully syn. 10W40 (non energy conserving) for $21 per 5 quarts. Thinking about giving it a try.
Non energy conserving really doesn't matter...

Look for the proper ratings.. I know Rotella does not have them.

Look for... API SG/SH.. A higher API may be used AS LONG AS it carries the JASO MA Rating.

I doubt the Mobil one does either and if it is not Mobil 1 Extended Performance, it is not Synthetic..

REGARDLESS of Brand, Synthetic or Petroleum, use a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO MA Rating, better yet, MA 2, but never MB.

If anyone tells you that there is no difference between an auto/diesel oil and a M/C Specific oil, they have been misinformed and passing on false information.

Oil, is the Life Blood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

Good isn't cheap
Cheap isn't good

Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It never amazed that the cheapest expense that people have the most thay try to skimp......OIL THE LIFE BLOOD OF YOUR ENGINE......why use crap that wilnot protect your engine,trany,and clutch.....roll the dice and save $4..and loose an engine,trany,or clutch......PRICELESS!!!!!!!! But yet thay will spend top dollars on chrome and accessories PRICELESS X2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know why you'd use a heavier oil than specified unless you're using oil in an engine with high miles and want to slow down your oil usage problem, and that doesn't always work. However, I've used good automotive or synthetic oil in my bikes for years but recently noticed my new wing has a specific MS requirement which I assume is due to the wet clutch situation in motorcycles. So now I'm paying attention to the complete oil spec. requirement. I will use a synthetic oil whenever possible since it circulates quicker when cold and is more stable. I use it in my vehicles and get consistently more gas mileage. Not anything ridiculous, about 1 mile per gallon but that adds up to 13 miles more per tank in my car. That's 52 more miles per month or about 2 free gallons/5.30 month or 15.90 every three months. That means it almost pays for the cost of 5 quarts of oil. Can't argue with the math.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts