Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Sorry for this oil question. I've been using Mobil 1 full syn for many years in my 1500. I've always spent the extra for their motorcycle specific stuff. Today I bought their 10W-40 full synthetic 4 cycle motorcycle oil and it is listed as "API SM,SJ,SH/CF JASO MA".

When I looked at my manual is says to use SF or SG. I checked my old Mobil 1 full syn motorcycle oil that I've been using and it show SF/SG - but as noted above, this new stuff does not.

In other words, nowhere on the new Mobil 1 motorcycle oil for 4 cycle engines does it have shown the SF or SG. I've got the bike drained and the oil ready to pour - but thought I would check with you folks before putting in. Many thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Article adds to my confusion. "...SL and SM ratings have friction reduction modifiers which shouldn't be used with wet clutch." The Mobil 1 4-T motorcycle oil has SM listed among others. However, it also has the JASCO MA rating.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Article adds to my confusion. "...SL and SM ratings have friction reduction modifiers which shouldn't be used with wet clutch." The Mobil 1 4-T motorcycle oil has SM listed among others. However, it also has the JASCO MA rating.
" Always use JASO MA grade oil . It doesnt matter what the API rating is , if its JASO MA - you are guaranteed that the clutch won't slip and as long as the oil is not API SL and above you are guaranteed that the oil is not harming the engine. All the relevant links are given below. " ~ Read from the article in question.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Wasn't going to comment on another oil thread however,
Use what is noted in the owners manual, weight range and spec's. While "others" may or may not do any harm, why take the chance.
Included is a suggestion to change the oil at the recommended intervals. The infamous 3,000 and other short intervals are myths perpetrated on us by oil companies and those doing "studies" paid for by oil companies.
Your manual states 4K for the 1st change, every 8K after. That is sufficient. Changing sooner, while it might make you feel good, is a waste of oil/money.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got my motorcycle home from NJ and with just over a thousand miles on it I changed the oil for Mobil One V-Twin Full Syn... and will plan on changing every 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
:confused:My Wing has 6 cylinders:confused:
Sorry about that... I am so used to thinking Mobil One V-Twin for the Roadie. I changed to Mobil 1 15w-50 (with the red cap) - full Synthetic for the 'Wing.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Been using Mobile 1 10w-30 from Costco, change every 4k. Using Mobile 1 in all my vehicles since it used to be completely black in color back in the 80's. You can't go wrong with most oils as long as you do regular changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts