Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put on a new front tire soon, currently the bike has a new rear tire and a worn front Dunlop E3's.

I think I want to try the cobra's Question is can I safely install the front cobra while keeping the Dunlop rear?
or do I need to change them both front, and rear together from the same manufacture?

I think from from what I ma reading the Cobra's wear about the same but are a lot quieter.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I have a Dunlop 404 on the front and a different brand / type of tire on the rear.

Have I mentioned on this forum that I installed a car tire on the rear 6,000 miles ago with no problems? I can't remember if I did.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've been mixing front and rear tire brands for decades with no ill effects. And as Larry said, he even has a CT in back which has to be an entirely different catagory of mixing and matching.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I have never had two different name brand tires on my bikes, but I don't see where there would be a problem. Most tread patterns are the same with a little variation by mfg.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I have a Dunlop 404 on the front and a different brand / type of tire on the rear.

Have I mentioned on this forum that I installed a car tire on the rear 6,000 miles ago with no problems? I can't remember if I did.
:D:D:D Yer crackin me up Larry

Different schools of thought on this. Lots of guys will tell you straight out it's a bad idea to mixe brands, others will say it doesn't matter a bit. A bit to do with tread pattern conflict and handling differences I think. I wouldn't dream of it on a sport bike especially if I was doing track stuff. I've always had matching sets on my Wings and will continue to do so.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
I had an E3 on the back of mine and an E2 on the front it didn't handle as well as having both E3's as it does know.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Mixing tires = 2 schools of thought. These are 1. yes and 2. no. I read all the time about guys going to the darkside and they swear no ill effects in handling etc. If you can change from cycle to car tire on the rear what does it matter if you swap out brands of cycle tires front and rear (so long as both are quality tires).

Myself, Im happy with Dunllop E3s and run them as a set.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Scooter, if you need a new front tire, just get the Avon, wear out the rear, and make the switch. Still nothing like new tires all round so a comparison between the two brands isn't fair unless you compare them side by side at same wear intervals. For the most part, new tires always rock!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I wouldn't dream of it on a sport bike especially if I was doing track stuff.
Its common practice for guys who do track to have different tires front and rear, with no ill effects. I run Pirelli Corsa Pro slicks up front and Bridgestone 003 race slicks rear. I have the Pirelli's up front because I like their smooth turn in and stability. I have Battlax in the rear because I like the way they wear (two extra track days compared to the Pirelli rears) with no loss of grip. Track riders always love a free 'take off' from sponsored track guys who get their tires for free. For the most part, the majority of riders like to run the same brand front and rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts