Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the Saturday the 14th my local chapter of the GWRRA, MS-F started our Mississippi County Rides and the plan is to visit all of them in the state by November. For this ride we started off on a chilly but sunny morning with nine bikes, one car, and 18 people and our first stop was at the State Capital in Jackson. (First picture) It was built in 1903 on the site of the old state penitentiary. Many say that is quite appropriate considering the current inhabitants of the site. Leaving there we rode around downtown a little before heading out to Raymond to see the Hinds County Courthouse which was built in 1857 and not burned down during the Battle of Raymond. (Second picture) Grant and a bunch of Damn Yankees stopped here on their way to Vicksburg’s back door. Then we hit some back roads to cut across to Brandon and the Rankin County Courthouse. (Third picture) This is the latest of many built in 1925 to replace the one that burned in 1924. (Although, not by Grant or a Yankee that I know of.) We then took a much needed lunch break where we lost a few of the group.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Afterward lunch we headed up across the top of the reservoir to Canton and the Madison County Courthouse. (First and second picture, the crowd is getting thinner.) This was the oldest of the ones we visited today dating to 1855. Here is where we lost most of everyone else as the sun was getting low and worries about deer on the highways chased most off for an ice cream run. The only ones to finish the ride to the Yazoo County Courthouse were Bob and I. This one dates to 1872 and was built to replace the one burned by Union troops in 1864. Damn Yankees. (Third picture, where did everyone go?) Afterwards I would have made it home just after dark but Bob took me to his house for coffee. I finished up the ride and did try to avoid taking out some local wildlife. One possum had the closest call and two deer. The second deer I had to brake hard for but he decided to go back into the woods. He was a nice 6 or 8 point too. I’m glad I didn’t bag him with my Honda. That would not have been worth the venison in the freezer. A great day for a ride as it started out in the mid-40's and got up to 60.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Nice ride & pictures Crownfire.

Being one of them Yankees I do understand the frustration about the War of Northern Agression. Also being married to a homegrown Alabamian there are some interesting discussions in the Fossil home. Especially when I'm watching Ken Burns Civil War.

In case anyone doesn't know, the Union was no good to mess in the manners of Southern Rights. Ask jaNICE she'll tell ya.;)

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
Excellent report Crownfire. Thank you very much.

We are a little envious up here in the northwest. Right now, we are getting blanketed with snow.... unusual for us. My bike has been covered for a week now....

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
Thanks for the tour, Mark (Twain ). My mother-in-law hails from Mississippi. The great war of Southern Obstinacy gave way to Southern Hospitality.

·
Super Moderator
14,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife had kin in butternut and I had some in blue.

·
Premium Member
7,191 Posts

Being one of them Yankees I do understand the the frustration about the War of Northern Agression. Also being married to a homegrown Alabamian there are some interesting discussions in the Fossil home. Especially when I'm watching Ken Burns Civil War.

In case anyone doesn't know, the Union was no good to mess in the manners of Southern Rights. Ask jaNICE she'll tell ya.;)
I DID NOT KNOW THIS!!!:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,191 Posts
Great Ride Mark....My local Chapter did something similar to that in Alabama last year. Very educational:)

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Yea Janice !

Being one of them Yankees I do understand the the frustration about the War of Northern Agression. Also being married to a homegrown Alabamian there are some interesting discussions in the Fossil home. Especially when I'm watching Ken Burns Civil War.

I knew there was something about you , now i know it is actually your wife ! I am glad she is a proud Alabamian and she has my sympathy ! Where did she grow - up in Bama ??

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Thanks for the tour Mark. Goes to show that there's more to conflicts that gets left behind or buried than what the members of the upper echelons will tell you.

·
Premium Member
17,134 Posts
Thanks for the ride Mark. Spent a year At Keesler AFB there at Biloxi July 21-July 62. Yes I'm one of them Yankee Bastigis, But I never burned any of your building.

·
Super Moderator
9,870 Posts
Great pics Crownfire. From the pics I would think it was colder..

·
Super Moderator
14,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the ride Mark. Spent a year At Keesler AFB there at Biloxi July 21-July 62. Yes I'm one of them Yankee Bastigis, But I never burned any of your building.
But maybe you got a tatoo on Pass Road?

·
Super Moderator
14,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator
9,870 Posts
We are going the other way here in NE Pa today. Started out at 36 this morning. Down to 29 now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts