Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so yesterday it's 50ish,and i take baby out...3 days previous i stopped to get a soda(1/2 tank of fuel,this statement will be relevant in a few words)come out,start miss m, she starts to idle way up(about 1800-1900 rpm)then bottoms out(about 500-600 rpm)almost dying,then repeats.this went on for about 2-3 mins,i reved her up during this process a couple of times but she continued her up and down.then she idled like nothing happened,and ran fine for the duration.so yesterday i called the dealer to get her 600 mile oil change,when i got there i mentioned what happened to the service mgr.,was told if it didn't repeat for them keep an i on it.low and behold when she went in she repeated this hysteric for the mechanic and promptly died on the lift.(by the way she never pushed any trouble codes through either sequence)by the time i got to the dealer,iwas low on fuel and the low light came on(a gallon of high test at the dealer that they said was neccessary cost me 6 [email protected]#$%^&*)indicating 1.6 gals left.so i answered all their ?'s truthfully what grade fuel do i use(highest i can get at that station),did any mice have access to the bike(no),was the fuel low when it happened the fist time(no),did i add anything to her fuel(no),any how my instructions were to keep an i on it,bring back if continues.can anyone diagnose for me?is this common?thanks for insite!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
okay so yesterday it's 50ish,and i take baby out...3 days previous i stopped to get a soda(1/2 tank of fuel,this statement will be relevant in a few words)come out,start miss m, she starts to idle way up(about 1800-1900 rpm)then bottoms out(about 500-600 rpm)almost dying,then repeats.this went on for about 2-3 mins,i reved her up during this process a couple of times but she continued her up and down.then she idled like nothing happened,and ran fine for the duration.so yesterday i called the dealer to get her 600 mile oil change,when i got there i mentioned what happened to the service mgr.,was told if it didn't repeat for them keep an i on it.low and behold when she went in she repeated this hysteric for the mechanic and promptly died on the lift.(by the way she never pushed any trouble codes through either sequence)by the time i got to the dealer,iwas low on fuel and the low light came on(a gallon of high test at the dealer that they said was neccessary cost me 6 [email protected]#$%^&*)indicating 1.6 gals left.so i answered all their ?'s truthfully what grade fuel do i use(highest i can get at that station),did any mice have access to the bike(no),was the fuel low when it happened the fist time(no),did i add anything to her fuel(no),any how my instructions were to keep an i on it,bring back if continues.can anyone diagnose for me?is this common?thanks for insite!!!
I would be looking for another dealership.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mine had a minor surge at idle when it was brand new. We're talking under 400rpm swing. When I took it in for the 3,000 oil change the mechanic said it was searching for the proper fuel mapping. That it would do this at times when the imput really didn't match it's choice of fuel maps. Since then it has gone away. Also, I was told to run REGULAR gas not Premium when I bought the Wing. I right now seem more concerned with your Dealership. Try another one if you can and see what they say.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would find another dealer and I would not take the bike from the dealer until this is fixed. If you drop it because of this problem it's your damage to fix. When I bought my 92 back in 92 it wouldn't idle right, had a slight miss when idling, they told me to take it and it would PROBABLY work itself out, I told them I would not leave the dealership until it was fixed, they took the brain from another new bike on the floor and swapped it with mime and it still missed, then they took off the carb and I guess there was a small piece of something in it because once they put it back on it ran perfect. Now back to your problem, Start the bike from a cold start up, maybe first thing in the morning, let it idle WITHOUT touching the throttle until the fans kicks on, turn the bike off and then restart it again, This will restart the ECM unit. That might take care of the problem. And by the way, your GL1800 does NOT require a 600 mile service, that is just something your dealer told you to make some money, look in your owners manual.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
joe is a plethera of knowledge

I would find another dealer and I would not take the bike from the dealer until this is fixed. If you drop it because of this problem it's your damage to fix. When I bought my 92 back in 92 it wouldn't idle right, had a slight miss when idling, they told me to take it and it would PROBABLY work itself out, I told them I would not leave the dealership until it was fixed, they took the brain from another new bike on the floor and swapped it with mime and it still missed, then they took off the carb and I guess there was a small piece of something in it because once they put it back on it ran perfect. Now back to your problem, Start the bike from a cold start up, maybe first thing in the morning, let it idle WITHOUT touching the throttle until the fans kicks on, turn the bike off and then restart it again, This will restart the ECM unit. That might take care of the problem. And by the way, your GL1800 does NOT require a 600 mile service, that is just something your dealer told you to make some money, look in your owners manual.
jeez joe,i don't think i could enjoy this site as much without your seemingly endless wisdom!!really please don't ever leave!thanks,and by the by to late on the 600 mile service,it's done and i'm 70 dollars lighter now!!oh well,live and learn.seriously though i would'nt normally go to a dealer for anything on my bike,i have a great mechanic who used to work at a dealer and has his own shop now.it was sat. and he was'nt open & i wanted to ride and did'nt want to go beyond what was explained to me as the most important service,the dealer even gave me a big reminder card saying you don't want to void your waranty do you?!!thanks again and keep up the great insite!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
AS soon as she gets well--run---dont walk--RUN AS FAST AS SHE CAN GO away from that dealer--and dont look back ---JO is also right about the 600 check up--- its just a money thing$$$$$$$ you really need to start running now!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Point 1; The impotrant thing is the BRAND of gas not the grade.
Point 2; It's a new bike and you paid a lot of hard earned money for it. Your problem is neither normal or common. Additionally it isn't your problem. It is the dealerships. Take the dealership owner outside and have him read the sign on his building. Then hand him the key and say "Fix it. I'll pick it up in the morning.
If you havn't guessed by now, I get really bent out of shape when a bussines acts thay way. Remeber "YOU PAY THEIR PAYCHECKS"
Bill

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Not only does the 600 mile checkup not exist, not getting bent over for it does NOT void your warranty. Yes, run from these charlatans! Regular service schedules are in the owner's manual and in the service/shop manual (which, by the way you should have spent your $70 on and can save you $$ anytime). You can do your own oil changes and many other non-tech service items without any danger of warranty exclusion, just keep records of dates, odometer readings and task performed and you'll be fine. Just make sure to stick with properly formulated oil and approved filters etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
do NOT use a higher octane fuel than is recamended in your service manual!!!!! I stress this becuase as a drag race motor builder we see SOOO many people who think the more expensive gas is better for their engine, when in fact it burns slower and creates heavy carbonization of the valves and piston rings, which in turn causes some very STRANGE symptoms.

for future reference, do not use octane higher than what is required.

and as far as general advice, use Seafoam (it gets poured into the tank and mixes with gas) to clean out the motor, once every 6-8 months will do for a daily driver motorcycle.

the worst thing you can do is NOT ride your bike.

My experience? some years working with vintage and modern motorcycles, restoring bikes, and building and maintaining race motors. also, knowing how to take care of a bike that racks up miles quickly, as I put about 100 miles a day on my bikes, depending on which one i take out for the day of course

1 - 9 of 9 Posts