Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 09 Goldwing 5 weeks ago, it has been even a better
bike than I thought it would be with two exception's. it has horrible headshake (or wobble )at about 40 mph and is getting worse. and I have 4300 miles on it and the tires are so cupped they wont last another 1000. Is there a cure for these issues??? suspension mods, and better tires????
Thanks, Boatanchor

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
My gut feeling is if the tires are visibly that bad is change them inflate to proper pressure & you should be good to go. 2 cures in 1

Keep it simple.Ride often & ride safe.

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... DON'T GO BY WHAT THE MANUALS SAY FOR TIRE PRESSURE ... THE CORRECT TIRE PRESSURE IS ON THE TIRE SIDEWALL FROM THE MFG. ... ALSO IF THE TIRES ARE NOT OEM's MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE A RATED TIRE FOR THE BIKES WEIGHT AND LOADS ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the board, and to the world of Wing wobble. On other Goldwing sites there have been numerious posts regarding "the wobble". The interesting thing is some have it and some don't. Since your original tires are cupped the wobble will not go away until you put a new set of skins on the bike. I would replace both front and back together, even if the back looks good. I would do as the previous posters said, check the inflation, and make sure the wheels are balanced. I would also ask the dealer to make sure the steering head is tightened to specs.

There are some products you might also want to like to look into which have been mentioned on other forums. One product is Dynabeads which are ceramic beads which go inside the tires and help to balance the wheels as they rotate. I don't know if I would use these since the 09 has the TPMS system built into the wheels and the beads could damage the sensors. The second product is called Centramatic Wheel Balancers. There are disks that are added to the front and rear wheels and use the same idea of counter weights only these are self contained within the disk. You can find them on the Web, but they are expensive (about $225) but they seem to work well.

By the way, I have an 09 with almost 3k miles and have not had any wobble, so go figure.. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
if the tire is cupped that bad on a new bike take it back to the dealer, tires have warrenties too

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
some dealers will change the tires under warranty, some won't, If you find a good dealer stay with him. The Tire pressure is a big thing in tire cupping. Run front at 38 amd rear at 41. When I picked up my new bike from the dealer I noticed on the ride home (80 Miles) that it rode a lot softer than my 02 did, when I got home I checked everything on the bike (fluids levels air pressyre etc.) and found the tires had 32 lbs. of air, most dealers have no clue about Gold Wing's. Your 09 has a TPMS, check and see what the low pressure warning is set at.

·
Registered
405 Posts
if the tire is cupped that bad on a new bike take it back to the dealer, tires have warrenties too
+1, I have read several posts on the other board where the purchaser took the bike back. Also, sometimes it is the back tire causing the shake.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have 593 mi. on a new '08 GL1800. The first couple of rides felt like the front tire was overinflated as pavement cracks and other flaws would jolt the handlebars. I checked the tire pressures and found the front at 39 and rear at 43. I reduced to 36 and 41 as per specs which helped a bit with the sensations in the handlebars. Now I'm wondering if I should put a couple of psi back in the front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tire wobble

I purchased an 09 Goldwing 5 weeks ago, it has been even a better
bike than I thought it would be with two exception's. it has horrible headshake (or wobble )at about 40 mph and is getting worse. and I have 4300 miles on it and the tires are so cupped they wont last another 1000. Is there a cure for these issues??? suspension mods, and better tires????
Thanks, Boatanchor
Wow man! I'd def. take it back to the dealer! Although i,ve turned my 09 into a trike it doesn't wobble at all. You should take it back soon because if you get hurt they might try n blame neglance on you cause you rode it that way! Good luck! Les in michigan

·
Registered
6 Posts
woble

I to have a 09 with tire cupping. I belive it has mostly to do eith tire inflation and some todo with suspension settings. I at first ran at the Honda recommended of 36 front but had cupping in a few thousand miles. since I have run at 41/41 and suspension set at 7 for single and 16 for two up. cupping hasn't gotten any worse and no wobble as others have complained about.
I think I will try Bridgestones next had good luck with them on my 04 St.\Tim

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've been watching my tyres and pressures constantly during the first season with my new GL. The TPMS has been quite useful thus far and the 10%-20% indicators seem to be right in range, and the tyres seem to be quite sensitive to weather conditions and ambient air temps (more so with the front tho). Also sensitive to frequency of riding; if I don't ride for say 10 days or so, the sensors have activated a couple times. After checking, a couple times there has been anywhere from 3-5 psi loss in pressure, or enough to trigger the 10% pressure loss indicator. In fluctuating weather and temp conditions, some pressure loss is normal (as indicated also in the manual). I now keep my tyres at 42 psi fr&rr and things appear to be just ducky. I have 5000km (3000mi) on the bike, and the wear is practically non-existant, and the pressence of cupping also nil. I experienced severe cupping on my 84 until I found the 'magic' number for pressure in the front (along with a Supebrace and Progressive springs). I haven't experienced any wobble in the steering (yet) and haven't played with the preload settings at all. So yes Boatanchor, I agree with the Detdr and say return to the dealer and see what can be warranty applicable solutions, better some compensation than none!
Since the slight increase in pressure, the harshness coming through the handlebars has also either decreased or I'm just getting used to the bike more. I could have been naturally sensitive to it after riding the ST with such a silky smooth front fork.
Sorry if I got a bit long winded with this, but just wanted to share what I've discovered over the past several months, and listening to your responses to mine and other enquiries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys

I've just purchased a 95 GL1500 SE and the wobble I'm experiencing is around the lid at 70 plus. i'm 6'2. My tyres are 36 front and 38 rear no other wobble on the bike other than the latter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also run 41/41 and suspension at 14 one up. I'm 5'11" and 268lbs. I have 14000 miles with no cupping. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cupped tires???????????

Run 45 psi in the rear and 41 in the front, use Nitrogen to keep your pressures constant, I know it isn't easy to find nitrogen buts its getting easier as time progresses. I have ran nitrogen for 2 years and have along with the increased pressures gaied about 30% more tire life, fro 6000 to 12000 to 15000 miles, just took off rear original at 11,960 miles due to a leaker hole in it, got tired of bumping it up prior to a ride. Would of got another 4k easy.
Happy and safe travels.
lc

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi guys i have a late 09 model which is the top of the range here in Oz but i dont think i have the TPMS. Can someone explain where does this fit on the bike and where is the display, I think we have duded here down under again:mad:

·
Registered
77 Posts
yea stones are definetly the best, they stick like glue, and are alot quieter than the dunlops! :) but of course to each his own! rick :D

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Hi guys i have a late 09 model which is the top of the range here in Oz but i dont think i have the TPMS. Can someone explain where does this fit on the bike and where is the display, I think we have duded here down under again:mad:
The TPMS sensors are built right into the valve stems. There should be warning light on the dash that will cycle through when you turn the key on. It is a tire symbol with a ! in the middle. When one of the tires air pressure (and the system does not tell you which one) is down by 10% the light will flash. When the pressure loss exceeds 10% the light will stay on. If you check the manual it should also explain the system. Good luck and I hope yours never comes on....

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
wobble

My 04 ( 115,000 miles) wobbles at 35 -45 if I take hands off. This is a flaw on an otherwise remarkable bike. My tires cup only slighlty in 20,000 miles. I run Dunlop E-3's. I have heard the front end to frame torque is critical and I would ask the dealer to look into this. I don't think Honda has admitted that wings wobble, kinda like their low key attitude back when frames were cracking. The dealer may not pay for a service on the frame / front end torque but I would do it any way.

Most of us just live with the wobble. Most only wobble in hands off mode and frankly that isn't to often. I hope the next morph of the wing is better.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
wobble

My 04 ( 115,000 miles) wobbles at 35 -45 if I take hands off. This is a flaw on an otherwise remarkable bike. My tires cup only slighlty in 20,000 miles. I run Dunlop E-3's. I have heard the front end to frame torque is critical and I would ask the dealer to look into this. I don't think Honda has admitted that wings wobble, kinda like their low key attitude back when frames were cracking. The dealer may not pay for a service on the frame / front end torque but I would do it any way.

Most of us just live with the wobble. Most only wobble in hands off mode and frankly that isn't to often. I hope the next morph of the wing is better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
wobble

I have an 08 am running 41 41 with 5100 mi no cupping did notica a wobble when i ran recomended tire pressures just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 26 Posts