Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I guess I'm the new guy on the block, at least for a little while. My first wing was a mint condition 1976 that I purchased in 1981. What a great bike! As the family grew, I found less time to ride and eventually sold it. Now the kids are out of the house so I told the wife I wanted to ride again. Bought a cruiser two years ago, took the wife for a few rides, she watched as the Goldwings drove by, then insisted we get another Wing. I didn't want to cross the wife, so now we own a 08 Goldwing, and as soon as this snow melts, I'll have a cruiser for sale. So let’s get this snow out of here so all us northerners can ride!
This summer we may be taking a trip to California on the bike. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what route is the most scenic?
Are there any web sites that cater to bikers as far as route planning goes? Thanks for any comments. Woodman

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Good Evening! I live in Virginia, but my parents came from a cow town called Foley MN. What is your destination in California ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coranado. I have a son who is in training down there, if all goes well we hope to go down for a visit in August.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
San Diego! You may never go back. My Foley folks ended up in Phoenix. Were you thinking about a South Westerly route? I would be nice to avoid Nebraska if you could.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the forum Woodman. We did a California trip in 1990, and had absolutely no route plan when we left home other than we wanted to hit the Redwoods and some of the Coast Highway. There are so many resources now that you can check that weren't available then so you should have no worries finding a great route that suits your needs. Not sure of your destination, but we found a road from Crescent City to Redding that was amazing, even if it did take us a whole day to cover just a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Planning a trip this summer from GA to Santa Monica, CA. I'm thinking of I-40 from Memphis on out, but may opt for I-20 to El Paso and I-10 into CA.

From MN you have to cross the plains states any way you go. I-90, I-80, or I-70 are pretty much alike until you get to the Rockies. It just depends on what you want to see on the way. I've traveled all three and it's wide open space on each one.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. You are going to love long trips on the Wing. The nice thing about a bike is that there are no bad routes. Enjoy the trip and ride safe..

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Woodman

Sounds like a real ride! I wish you well. There is so much to see in California you could tour there for 3 months. I love Death Valley and the Panamint Mtns so long as it isnt summer. Yosemite must be the entrance to heavan, best in early May (before crowds). I love the big trees at Sequoia Park, west of Bakersfield. Hiway 49 is beautiful ( Golden Hiway) as is The Blue Diamond Hiway (395 ?). Much more!
Try to avoid Interstate 5! PCH can be a total drag depending on traffic. Frankly after 2 ocean views it tends to look the same to me ( flat, blue etc).
Enjoy the ride. billcarr_

BTW... Hiway 50 across Nevade is EXCELLENT! Billed as the lonliest main hiway in America.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to THE site. I like you had bikes when younger, but quit riding as we raised our family. I have owned two Wings since getting back on a bike,but started with a cruser. I have found that anyway you go,it will be a fun ride.
If you take I-90 west out of Albert Lea, MN. it will take you to Rapid City(Mount Rushmore/ Crazy Horse Monuments/Black Hills) then, stay on I-90, and see Devils Tower ,Custers last stand. If you go south at Bozeman MT. you will go to Yellow Stone/Jackson Hole WY. Then get on I-80 to Salt Lake City, then south on I-15 through LasVegas,NV then I-15 ends in San Diago. Now there are a hundred different ways to go ,it all depends on the amount of time you have. Have fun planning your trip. Enjoy the ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts