Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Technically this is not a new thread; this old horse has been beat quite a bit. But here goes anyway...There seems to be a huge range of mpg from owner to owner. Whats up? And many people have said that Honda's, maybe Wings in particular, have a fault in reading consumption. What's up with that?

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
There seems to be a huge range of mpg from owner to owner. Whats up?
1. Differences in riding style (aggressive vs conservative).
2. Condition of bike (is maintenance spotty or spot on).
3. Elevation above sea level.
4. Quality of fuel (perhaps higher E15 ethanol is less efficient)
5. Mileage of bikes (new bikes not broke in/high mileage motors may
be less efficient).
6. Rider consistency of fuel checks as to where the tank is topped off.
7. Time of year (engines run better in cooler weather).
8. Condition of road surfaces.
9. I saw the same disparity in reported fuel mileage with Maxi Scooters
when I rode them. There was always at least a 5mpg swing. Perhaps
this may be true of most bikes.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
We can add tire maintenance to the equation also, low pressure poor mpg.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Believe what you figure out on your individual basis. What's on the window sticker of autos, and what manufacturers claim isn't the real world. Too many variables as Dan points out. My bike is pretty consistan given the way I ride most of the time. I attribute most discrepancies to crappy fuel.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I agree with everything stated above, also, any excessive added lights put a draw on the alternator, which takes horsepower to turn and can decrease fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
4. Quality of fuel (perhaps higher e15 ethanol is less efficient)
absolutely no one should be using e15 unless your vehicle is flex fuel compatible. Gold Wings are not!
Apparently I need to recant this statement!
I thought E15 was the same as E85. It seems another thread says E15 is approved for all vehicles 2001 and up!

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
As I learned on the ride to and from Sturgis last August, WIND can also kill your mileage. I normally average 37-38 mpg with my GL1200, but it dropped to about 31-32 on that trip. 30+ mph headwinds BOTH WAYS! [Plus the sheer blasts that fractured the windshield!]:jawdrop1:

·
Registered
66 Posts
As I learned on the ride to and from Sturgis last August, WIND can also kill your mileage. I normally average 37-38 mpg with my GL1200, but it dropped to about 31-32 on that trip. 30+ mph headwinds BOTH WAYS! [Plus the sheer blasts that fractured the windshield!]:jawdrop1:
We hit the same wind you did last summer on our way to Sturgis on our 2012 as well.. we also had a trailer to pull... We still hit about 31-32 mpg UNTIL we hit that wind just into South Dakota where for about 100 miles or so the winds hit 40+ mph head on and our mileage went to 98 miles for the entire tank! LOL

There were hundreds of bikes at the gas station at the end of that 100 mile run.. all with the same problem.. out of fuel and talking about the wind.

I got a real kick out of the harley riders though... they all were saying their next bikes was going to be a wing. Part of the problem, which I did not realize, is they have NO power and gas mileage stinks overall.

I thought it was funny that I was doing 70 pulling a trailer with nary a problem even in the wind, except for watching the fuel gauge actually drop in real time, and that I was passing all these Harleys who could barely maintain 60 mph and those going up hill were having to constantly down shift...

I never knew that about Harleys.. for some reason I had always equated them with horsepower but apparently not. Even though we have 6 cylinders and they have 2-4, I always thought they were bored for HP and torque.. To see that not be the case in person was amazing.. and kind of fun flying by them all with a smile on my face!

·
Registered
66 Posts
absolutely no one should be using e15 unless your vehicle is flex fuel compatible. Gold Wings are not!
Apparently I need to recant this statement!
I thought E15 was the same as E85. It seems another thread says E15 is approved for all vehicles 2001 and up!
I refuse to put E15 in my tanks if I can help it.. Of my cars OR my Goldwing. I have had more than one dealer tell me that even E15 can cause issues.

IF I am not able to get fuel without E15 at the pumps I stop at, I then buy a gas treatment supplement for that tank.. They make them that counters the E15 AND adds in a bit more octaine.

In Wisconsin some have it and some do not.. But MOST stations have Premium fuel which here does not contain E15 ethanol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with everything stated above, also, any excessive added lights put a draw on the alternator, which takes horsepower to turn and can decrease fuel economy.
Ahh the joy of switching everything to LED lighting.. I have done so on my 2012 and the power drain went down over HALF. The only lights not switched are the awesome headlights they designed for the 2012.. Better than any car I have ever owned...

·
Registered
246 Posts
No or Low Power It's a V-Twin Thing

I had to smile when I read your post, "no power" and thought back to my last Surgis trip. I was riding a new Kawasaki Voyager, nice bike, actually more comfortable than my Wing; however, while heading north thru North Dakota on my way, in a round-a-bout fashion, home I could not get that damn V-Twin over 80mph. When I did get home I traded two Kawasaki's in for a downpayment on my 2010 Wing. I've never regretted it!

On Harley mileage, I've always heard they got pretty good mileage, normally over 50mph. My Wing normally gets 36mpg, but on the Blue Ridge Parkway I got 43mpg, I was impressed. If I'd slow down on the superslabe I could probably get 36 or maybe even 38mpg...little chance of that though. :hihi:

We hit the same wind you did last summer on our way to Sturgis on our 2012 as well.. we also had a trailer to pull... We still hit about 31-32 mpg UNTIL we hit that wind just into South Dakota where for about 100 miles or so the winds hit 40+ mph head on and our mileage went to 98 miles for the entire tank! LOL

There were hundreds of bikes at the gas station at the end of that 100 mile run.. all with the same problem.. out of fuel and talking about the wind.

I got a real kick out of the harley riders though... they all were saying their next bikes was going to be a wing. Part of the problem, which I did not realize, is they have NO power and gas mileage stinks overall.

I thought it was funny that I was doing 70 pulling a trailer with nary a problem even in the wind, except for watching the fuel gauge actually drop in real time, and that I was passing all these Harleys who could barely maintain 60 mph and those going up hill were having to constantly down shift...

I never knew that about Harleys.. for some reason I had always equated them with horsepower but apparently not. Even though we have 6 cylinders and they have 2-4, I always thought they were bored for HP and torque.. To see that not be the case in person was amazing.. and kind of fun flying by them all with a smile on my face!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think riding style is a lot of it, and the roads and the speeds. I have to ride an hour to find anything with higher than a 55 mph limit. Pushing 65 or 70 or.... will cut fuel economy.

I also tend to shift at lower rpms than many people. I think running at higher rpms and shifting later (and a more agressive acceleration) cuts mileage significantly.

I used to get 42-44 consistently with the 2010 wing riding solo. 32-36 with the trike, 2up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
E15 was approved by the EPA for cars and light trucks only at this point. No mention of motorcycles, lawn mowers and other small vehicles........YET.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I have a loaded 2010 /Champion trike I can get 35 or better holding at 60 MPH , now it goes down to around 29/30 at over 70 MPH. I have also seen better miliage with less than ET 10 fuel . Energy mid grade fuel has less than 5% ET this works well in the wing and my Carolla. Oh yes I also run Mobile One full syn. oil.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I've been attempting to measure my fuel usage more meticulously. When I fill up I go until the pump stops at that magical shut off point pumps seem to have (at least in California). Then of course, I divide number of gallons into elapsed miles and get my mpg. I also use the odometer, etc. Right now I am averaging in the 32/33 mpg range. I don't know if this is good or not because I talk with guys that swear that they get in the 40+ range. My riding is city/freeway combined. I typically roll at 70ish on the freeway. In reality, maybe 30+ isn't bad unless I really should be getting better. This whole endeavor is sort of like chasing gremlins. It's almost like once you start focusing on the issue you start thinking you were getting better mpg than you actually were. I don't know. It just bugs me that some guys, supposedly, get awesome mpg and mine sort of sucks!

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Fuel mileage is one of those things that vary as others have said.

Try this and see if you notice any difference.

When traveling on Highways keep it under 3K on the Tach or 70 (Say 65) on the speedo.
When in City do not blip the throttle at traffic lights or stops. It does matter believe it or not.
Pulling out from stops, lights & merging just be smooth don't run the rpm up over 3k.
Be sure that your tires are inflated properly.

Now give this an honest shot & see if it makes a difference. If you can't for some reason than just put gas in the bike & ride. Forget about fuel mileage & enjoy.:Happy:

·
Registered
306 Posts
calcliff, is CA already slipping in the E15?
About 3-4 years ago we had straight gas here in SC, there are still a few independent stations around but none close to me. Back then I had my 1100 Shadow and I notice a drop of 2-3 mpg.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Speed is probably the biggest factor. Set the cruise between 65 and 70 and you'll get the best mileage. The engines are designed to do that. I know if I cruise above to 70 or 75 my mileage drops about 10%. Also, air wings, mirror wings and highway pegs, legs outside the fairing, don't help.

I have a 2012 GL1800 and can consistently get 42 to 45 at 65. Pulling a Bunkhouse it will do about 35 to 38.
Anything over that and it sucks (gas).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fuel mileage is one of those things that vary as others have said.

Try this and see if you notice any difference.

When traveling on Highways keep it under 3K on the Tach or 70 (Say 65) on the speedo.
When in City do not blip the throttle at traffic lights or stops. It does matter believe it or not.
Pulling out from stops, lights & merging just be smooth don't run the rpm up over 3k.
Be sure that your tires are inflated properly.

Now give this an honest shot & see if it makes a difference. If you can't for some reason than just put gas in the bike & ride. Forget about fuel mileage & enjoy.:Happy:
Well, here's a little update. Am following your advice and mpg's have improved! Like I said before, was averaging 32/33 with city/hwy driving. Switched to regular from premium (87 versus 91), keeping more $ in my pocket. Am keeping below 3 grand on the tach and staying at 65+/- on the open roads. My last tank I got 36.5 mpg! I have yet to take a long open road trip using these techniques but am looking forward to seeing the mpg's get even better. A quote comes to mind at this point. Someone once said "comparisons are odious". However, in this day and age engineering is such that, for instance, all Wings should pretty much get about the same mpg, barring damage and driving technique. So, when someone claims that they get some phenominal mpg's it sort of makes you wonder what's wrong with your bike. Hence, the comparisons.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.