Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered oil and a filter for the new wing. Ordered it from Amsoil Bob, its always a pleasure doing business with him. I should have asked him, but I forgot. For those of you who are using Amsoil, how many miles are you going between oil changes?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wish I had the time to ride more, but since I ride less than ten thousand miles a year I change my synthetic oil once a season, regardless of miles.

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
when you should change your oil is in the owners manual and there is nothing in your owners manual that says you can extend the mileage because you are using synthetic oil. I personally have nothing against anyone changing oil at a higher mileage than recommended after all its your wing

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
My 1800 has about 5700 miles on the last oil change, all of it high speed highway while on tour....

shell rotella T5, looks just like it did when I poured it in the engine.

it will get changed in a couple of days before I start out on my next tour...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Probably not many can remember when Mobile 1 first came out. In our cars/trucks, we were told to run it 25K miles(yes-25,000), change the oil filter(they held a quart back then), add a quart and go another 25K before changing!!!!!!!
Anyway, while under warranty, I would change oil(whatever you use) as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
After that, I see no reason not to run synthetic for at least 10K miles!

·
Premium Member
5,533 Posts
I change mine at 10,000 miles using amsoil, when i was running amsoil in a 4 runner i had oil change was 25,000 miles.

A

·
0 Posts
On my wife's car, a 2007 Pontiac Vibe, it has had synthetic of some brand since the 1st change at the dealer.

After that, it got changed whenever our son was close by, about once a year :)

since we got back together again, I change it Dec 1st or there abouts....
and usually, it is somewhere between 8000-10000 miles...

so far, the oil coming out looks almost as good as the oil going in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The car oil setup is different than a bike configuration. On a car the transmission is separate and has its own fluid. 10k on synthetic is nothing for a car. On a bike, the engine oil is also used for the wet clutch and transmission. More of a chance of getting clutch fibers and gear chips on a bike, as a result I do not go more than 4000 miles on any type of oil, don't want all that "stuff" getting into my valvetrain, which will be much more costly than an oil change.
It would be nice if the wing had a setup like the Honda CRF250/450Rs do where there is separate oil systems, one for the engine/valvetrain and one for the transmission.:nerd:

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Annual for me; Amsoil and their filter.

·
Super Moderator
11,335 Posts
Heh, I don't keep 'em long enough to worry about it! :eek:

·
Premium Member
17,173 Posts
The car oil setup is different than a bike configuration. On a car the transmission is separate and has its own fluid. 10k on synthetic is nothing for a car. On a bike, the engine oil is also used for the wet clutch and transmission. More of a chance of getting clutch fibers and gear chips on a bike, as a result I do not go more than 4000 miles on any type of oil, don't want all that "stuff" getting into my valvetrain, which will be much more costly than an oil change.
It would be nice if the wing had a setup like the Honda CRF250/450Rs do where there is separate oil systems, one for the engine/valvetrain and one for the transmission.:nerd:
+1
Way way back in the 90ty's Motorcycle consumer news done a study on oil where the put fresh oil in then tested every 250 or may have been 500 miles, what they found was at around 1500 miles in bike where the engine oil also lubed the tranny all the good stuff was pretty well done in, at the time Mobile 1 preformed the best.
So I change mine between 4000, 5000 miles just because I can't bring myself to go any longer. Way cheaper then wrecking an engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I run regular 20-50 Castro GTX motor oil. I change it out every 3000 to 3500 miles. I have done this on my Harley for years and I plan on doing it on the Wing also. The wing just went over the 3000 mile mark and as soon as it stops raining around here I'll get right on it.

A

·
0 Posts
well,
I almost got to do a fresh oil change at 1,190 miles >:)

got to the hotel in Meadows of Dan, I awoke to a 10 inch spot of oil under the engine :crying:

laid down on the ground, and oil was dripping from the skid plate also.
hmmmm, hey John boy, did you tighten up that oil plug?

guess not, the 17 mm wrench made a 120 degree turn before it snugged up. :surprise:

bought a fresh quart of T5 at the farm store, and poured in 300 ml to get it back to where it belongs. :serious:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too was the proud owner of a 1977 Black Wing and I miss her. Made five trips across states while in the Marines. I hope you enjoyed yours too.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
When I was using the Honda oil I change every 8000 miles as per the manual. Now that I'm using Amsoil it says 15,000 mile intervals. That's what I'm going to do. If I'm wrong and this screws the engine/transmission up, it will give me a good reason to buy a newer wing. Win-win for me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
An oil analysis takes the guess work out.After 6400 miles the Honda HP4S full synthetic had a TBN of 5. TBN stands for total base number which I believe stands for the amount of additives left in the oil. I generally change every 5k unless I'm on a long trip i.e. 6400 mi.The analysis suggests I can go to 8k mi which I wouldn't do.I've been happy with the Honda synthetic for 42k mi.I've run Amsoil,Mobile Motorcycle,Mobile 15/50 car oil in Harleys with a dry sump clutch,Victory oil, Harley synthetic etc. They all seem to work and will go 8000+ miles according to their oil analysis.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.