Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I've been reading your words of wisdom for some time now and I have a problem that I need some help with so here goes.

I have a '90 Goldwing that I picked up last spring from a dealer. It had sat at the dealer for 3 years which I found out later. My problem is with the mileage. I know mileage can vary a lot depending on how hard or fast you ride, how loaded the bike is and so forth. Last fall I had the the timing belts changed, new plugs, new K&N air filter, and the carbs balanced. I rode it home filled the tank added Sea Foam and ran it unitl it was in the carbs and put it to sleep for the winter. A couple weeks ago I got it out started it up and have been riding it since. I burned the old gas out of it and filled it with fresh gas Saturday and took it for a 250 mile ride. Half the ride was on divided highway at 70mph the rest was on 2 lane at 65 mph. The tires were at the correct pressure and I was alone. I got 25 mpg. I would think if there was a problem with the carbs it would miss or stumble or belch smoke but it runs great and none of those things happen.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey dan. WOW dont know i got a 86 aspen and i get between 42- 48 depending on the riding. maybe some one with a newer bike has a idea. i would think should get better than that.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Hey Dan:
Don't be discouraged just yet. My son ran that Sea Foam through his 97 Wing. When he did the mileage dropped into the 20 range for a tank or two and then came back to normal. I wouldn't worry about it for a while. Just ride and smile. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
On my 1986 Aspy (a work in progress) I still need to balance the carbs and put in some new plugs but I have been getting 32-34 mpg. I am aware of the speedometer error on these bikes and calculate my mpg with a 10% deduction built in. So straight up it reads at 35-37. I am hopeful that with the tune up that is coming the mileage will go up to 36-40?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, welcome Dan to the GWOF and congrats on your new Wing.

Your right about there being many factors that go into "gas mileage". Things like riding style, outside temp, quality of gas, etc.. I normally averaged 35-42 with my 98 GL1500. That said I also got 22 mpg coming home from Michigan in 25 degree weather going about 75 on the interstate trying to beat a storm.

Take DreamWeaver's advice and run few tanks through and see if it improves. Also make sure the choke is fully closed once the engine is warmed up. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
mpg

I have an 04 Wing. Cold does play heck with mileage. I lose about 4 mpg in 50F or less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info guys, I'll keep riding and check it when its a little warmer, it was 32 when I left the house Saturday morning.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You should get around 35 to 40 MPG. Try running a bottle of Techron through the gas tank. Another good thing for cleaning out the carbs is Marvel Mystery Oil, you can get both of these at Wal-Mart or any good auto parts store.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
One tankfull is not good enough to use as a true indicator. Like mentioned, it takes time to flush the seafoam out, and you can never discount the possibility of crappy fuel anywhere these days. time and patience, and yes, welcome!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
What Joe said. I get right around 40 mpg one or two up on my93. Hang a trailer on it and I might get 30mpg.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As soon as the weather cooperates I am going to go on a longer ride, I want to get this mileage thing straightened out before I ride to the Smokies in May. As I said before this bike sat at the dealership for 3 years before I bought it. The first time I rode it any distance it was getting awful mileage, like 18 mpg. I was pulling my hair out. I couldn't figure out why..........then I looked at the air filter, it had about a pound of birdseed on the top of it plugging it almost completely. I bet that mouse was pissed off when the bike and his stash was gone from the dealership.
Thanks again for the input guys.
Dan.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 89 sat for 3 years too. When I got on it after it was road worthy my mileage suffered some. My fuel gage isn't reading right either but improving. Last check was my hill country run and my mileage improved greatly. I'm getting around 35 or so now depending on driving conditions.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
dlg14: If you want to prevent the mice from turning the air box into a condo, get about 12 " x12" square of 1/4 inch Hardware screen from the Hardware store. Measure the opening for the air in take there just to the left rear of the opening for the folks. add 2 inches to the length and height. Then cut a 1" inch square out of each corner. Put it over the opening and fold the edges back over the opening edge. To secure it I used a 1 inch strip of duct tape rapped around to hold it in place. No more mouse condos in my air box.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
44 Posts
Milage

You might tell us what part of the country you are riding in, you may be filling up with ethanol, which will give you less milage.:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dan, did you use ethnol to fill up, that will kill your mileage also. During the winter some states change the blend of gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fatcat, I'm in southern wisconsin and yes they switch us over to that crappy winter blend gas and yes there was 10% ethnol in it and it was in the 40's at the end of my ride. It may have been the perfect storm for rotton mileage. I'm thinking about putting some of Charlie Sheens tiger blood in the tank, that seems to solve all kind of ills.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts