Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Depends on how much fuel you put in the tank!:p

Seriously, I have the same bike and it has a 5.8 gallon fuel tank. Figure 35mpg if it's tuned worth a hoot and you're not a maniac and you've got a 200-mile range. Of course, you can always carry a gas can on the back of your bike like SkinnyinPhoenix!

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Without getting to excited I get 33 mpg at 75 mph two up and with a little wind. That gives a safe 190 mile range. If I slow down to 60 mph to get more gas range. I get 38 mpg and that gives you a 220 mile range. But if you want to hoon along at 85 mph two up and a loaded bike expect about 31 mpg. So make sure there is gas at 180 miles.
There are some that say you can get 45 mpg out of them. And for them that is so. But if I don't want to start walking, I will have to start carrying gas for anything over 200 miles. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Alright, Eric, that does it!

Your classic Wing cannot match mine's speed AND you get crappy mileage? I'm running at 35mpg average city/country. Synchronize your carbs. After you're sure everything else is good, tight, and clean, synch those buggers! First, fuel/air mix on the nose per factory spec or your experience and then synch'd carbs. Like I said in another thread, I'm a believer.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Just when I was impressed with my last tank of gas. 60 miles in the city and 90 miles in the hills with my mates Victory I got 38 mpg and you are saying that's not good. I was impressed. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
38mpg average is just fine. Averaging that at 90 mph, priceless! Can't wait to unleash Tatanka's video. That's right, Larry, not just "pics" but a video!

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
after 125 miles its time to take a break so i may as well put some gas in at that time

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
It isn't my fuel range that dictates my stops either, it's my conscience behind me. One longish day over in Ireland last year the Great Spirit spoke to me. She said "I need to stop and stretch a bit":rolleyes:
It's been a long time, but seems to me I always managed a 200 mile reach with my 1200 and most of the time that was pulling a trailer. I could leave home two up and ride to the Keg in Edmonton for dinner with friends (a common thing we did back then) just a tad over 100miles each way. Single tank of fuel no probs. Always had ample fuel to get back into town the next day to fuel up (another 20 miles).

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Ok that it. The evidence is in. My wing needs the carby synchronised. And it had better play ball. I saw it this way.
1/ honda 250 at 60 mph = 48 mpg.A best of 70 mpg
2/ honda 700 at 70 mph = 42 mpg.A best of 48 mpg
3/ honda 1200 at 60 mph =38 mpg. A best of 40mpg
Taking into account the 1200 has more weight on it and pushes more wind that 38 mpg wasn't too bad. I don't mind humble pie if there is more mpg there to get and maybe a couple of more horse to whip up a storm. It may take awhile but I will get back to you with my findings. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
Ok that it. The evidence is in. My wing needs the carby synchronised. And it had better play ball. I saw it this way.
1/ honda 250 at 60 mph = 48 mpg.A best of 70 mpg
2/ honda 700 at 70 mph = 42 mpg.A best of 48 mpg
3/ honda 1200 at 60 mph =38 mpg. A best of 40mpg
Taking into account the 1200 has more weight on it and pushes more wind that 38 mpg wasn't too bad. I don't mind humble pie if there is more mpg there to get and maybe a couple of more horse to whip up a storm. It may take awhile but I will get back to you with my findings. Eric
you might need a cleaning and a sync eric. do you have seafoam down under

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
you might need a cleaning and a sync eric. do you have seafoam down under
Sure they do, SEAfoams every time it storms. Oh, my bad... I just had too:eek::D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a newbie to Wings and I have a 2000 1500se, on the highway @70mph I'm averaging 42mpg, with 91 octane 10% eth . What octane should i be running? I had an st1100 and I always ran 91 octane in it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I'm a newbie to Wings and I have a 2000 1500se, on the highway @70mph I'm averaging 42mpg, with 91 octane 10% eth . What octane should i be running? I had an st1100 and I always ran 91 octane in it. Thanks!
Most of us run 87 octane. Recently my John Deere mower stopped working. Took to my mechanic and he said it had water in the fuel and carb. He recommended a mid grade; said it had less corn in it. Wonder if I should bump up to perhaps 89 octane on my Wing? So far 87 has worked for me but I ride at least once a week and usually burn t least a tank so my fuel doesn't sit up.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
I have run 87 in all my Wings from my 77 to my 06 and all run great, I pick up gas around 220 miles and that is always a good time for a walk around.

·
Administrator
29,019 Posts
Just an Ole Fossil's opinion Dan, I played around with 92 in my Wing & saw no performance diff at all. They are meant to run on the low test stuff the issue is the amount of ethenol. Lot's of additives out there to use. As far as riding around looking for the stations that sell the real stuff, it was never my idea of fun. Besides just because the gas is gas doesn't necessarily mean their equipment is top notch. So you may get other things involved.

I always just run what I buy (87) & once in a while dump some Staybil Ethenol treatment in. Especially when I put things away for the winter.

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
The 1200 normally gets 37-38 mpg. I was able to get 40 once on the secondary highways at 55-60 mph.

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Update on the fuel economy. On my ride to Winthrop yesterday, I got 45 MPG.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
That was on your 1200 right? That agrees with what I used to get with mine (as far as my limited recall abilities can muster anyway):eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Yes, on the 1200.

(Darn brain fart.)

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Update on the fuel economy. On my ride to Winthrop yesterday, I got 45 MPG.
Thanks for that report. I will be able to tell you soon how my bike is going after doing my carbs were cleaned. Eric

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.