Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled my gas tank for the second time on my new Goldwing and my mileage is improving slowly. On the first tank, got less than 30 MPG but I suspect the dealer may not have filled it all the way. This time, it went 185 miles before the low fuel light came on. I put 5.7 gallons in at 200 miles which gave me about 35 mpg. After the next fillup I plan to change the engine and driveshaft oils and keep checking it. As long as it keeps improving, I am okay, but 35 mpg seems low to me compared to what I see others reporting. I ride about an even split between city and highway. On the highway, the engine runs just below 3000 RPM at 65 mph and just above 3000 RPM at 70 mph. I try to shift gears below 2500 rpms. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2003 model and usually fill up when the low fuel light comes on, it usually takes about 5.3 to 5.5 gallons of fuel and I usually have between 170 and 180 miles so that gives an average of 33MPG. I think that's not bad for such a big old girl. You seem to be right on what I consider normal!! :)

Welcome to the club..

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I've got around 4,700 miles on my 09 and I've averaged about 40 mpg. I tend to be a conservative rider. The good thing is, regardless of your mileage, a Wing gives you more smiles per mile than anything else. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
speed makes a big difference in fuel mileage on the wing. once you go over 70 MPH or 3000 rpm's it will drop. I average from 38 to mid 40's depending on how and where I'm riding,

·
Registered
263 Posts
Get that K&N in there and let it do what it can for you. Sounds like you are doing ok for a new engine though. Still has a good bit of loosening up to do.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've got 5800 miles on my '08 and consistently get 42 mpg when riding with friends who average about 70 mph. I did take a solo trip once of about 150 miles and got 47 mpg while averaging about 60 mph. Like Joe said... speed does make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
It took a few tanks to come up to around 40 mpg for me. That is riding fairly conservative, no real fast starts. As stated earlier keeping the rpm's down helps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just moved to a wing from a Yamaha R1 (sports bike) and guess I am still reving the engine too much!! Maybe I will start using less revs and get a better MPG, sounds like there is room for improvement from my current 33mpg to the average 40mpg listed in this thread!! I regularly ride at 60+ mph but it sounds like a lot of you do, so hopefully a lighter right wrist will improve my MPG.

Gary

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Mileage

185 to the fill light coming on sounds about right to me. All highway miles is 195 -200. A previous wing guy was right about keeping it under 3,000 rpm. Cold weather will drop 3 mpg at least. Take another off for below freeezing.
I have gotten between 46 and 32 mph. 46 was a silly experiment around town shifting below 2300 and coasting to stops from as far as you can. It was dumb, NO ONE rides like that intentionally. But I got 46 mpg. I rode over Donner pass one december and it was 23F. Mileage was about 32. Average on my wing is about 38.

Break in might add 1 mpg but not more. Pure hiway at 75 - 80 is going to get 38ish. 40 is a treat, not an expectation. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an 08 with about 4,000 miles on it. I have placed a mental shift point at 2500 RPM and try to max RPM at about 3,000. I make sure I get the tank full when it is time and have been running abut 200 - 210 miles before the fill light comes on. I ride a mix of city highway. I never check MPG. If I want to go further on a gallon of gas, I get out my Norton. We ride Wings because we like them, who cares about mileage? If it was running good and only getting 30 MPG, would you buy anothe kind of bike?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been riding for over 46 years. Every new bike I have gotten it takes 4,000 to 6,000 miles to loosen up so the can been seen. I also add a 1 gallon fuel can on the back and run it out. This gives me a idea at how far I can go and how much it will hold if needed.
So far on my 2010 with 2,000 miles I have gotten as low as 38 mpg to 44.5 mpg. I am okay with that

dd

·
Registered
405 Posts
Usually go 200 - 210 before fill light on an '08. Get 40 - 41 mpg in winter and consistant 43 in summer. Ride mostly 65 - 70 on interstate but occasional 80ish.

·
Registered
50 Posts
mine is a 2009 gl1800 w/about 2500 on the clock w/everything but airbag(i think 2010 models were the 1st w/airbag)and abs.at 185 miles on a tank my low fuel light will go on and off in turns and upon stopping and heavy throttle from a stop,when i've gone to fill up and look in the tank i see NO fuel in the tank!!it's alittle unerving when i see this,but i have not run out yet!oh,by the way,at this point(185 miles on the trip od)she's still showing one mark on the gauge.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have rode to 190 miles and it held 4.2 gallons. The light did not come on. Then there a few times that I only got 159 miles at 4 gallons.

Each bike is different, the rider habits are different, the type of fuel different, and the roads different. This all will result in different mileage.

dd

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
mileage

Incidentally, the fuel gauge needle is an estimate only. Do not get in a psychological spin over how it behaves vs how much fuel you think is on board. When the light comes on, get fuel! Pushing a GW just can't be much fun.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I filled up the tank this past Saturday, it is now Thursday and gas gauge hasn't moved yet. That's 120 hours on the same tank of fuel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I refilled again yesterday and it was up to 37 mpg. The engine seems to run smoother now as well so it must have just needed some break-in time. I am going to do an engine and shaft drive oil changeout this weekend at 600 miles. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
449 Posts
On the highway, 2-up, with 3-bags, cruise control on 75mph, we got 38 to 39 tank after tank. Around here about 36 is the norm.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts