Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GW owner's manual says to change oil every 8,000 miles.
I am using Rotella T oil but that seems like to many miles between oil changes.
When do you change oil?
Thanks for your reply.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
I change mine every 5K because I ride in town a lot. If I ride long rides, every 8K.

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
On my 93 Aspencade, I change every 3,000,to 4,000
. If I'm on an extend trip say cross country, I change it before I leave then when ever I get back.
I also use rotella

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Exactly what the book says 8K
Since my 1800 is not a diesel, I use Mobile 1 motorcycle oil(not the stuff for V-twins since I have a few more cylinders)

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
i use castrol 4t and change it every 5000 miles. i'm going to email amsol bob and place an order with him for my next oil change

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
I do a lot of commuting and around town riding and I go with 2500 miles.
Stop and go riding is the most stressful on the engine. Some service manuals list intervals for severe or rough service. Honda GN4 with OEM filter.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I have been using Amsol and change it anywhere from 5 to 8 thousand kilometers (3 to 5 thousand miles. I know this is overkill, but I push my 1500 so I feel it's cheap insurance.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Honda synthetic and OEM filter every 5k. Easier to remember..

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
I've switched to Amsoil synthetic with the synthetic filter which is rated for 25k or 15k for heavy duty use. I will have the oil tested at 12k to determine actual life left. I feel that I will err on the side of heavy duty use with the Texas heat and frequent use of the bike in city traffic. And my anticipated mileage per year will probably be 12-15k as I will probably change once a year.

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
Gotta go with Two Wheel Wing on this one. Synthetic and every 5,000 miles. I resisted synthetics for a long time, but I'm finally convinced. Run them in my truck and wife's car, too, though more like 8,000 mi. between changes. The '85 Aspencade deserves fresher blood; he'll earn it!

·
Banned
3,114 Posts
Mobil one Motorcycle Racing Oil. Full synthetic. 10-15,000 miles or once a year. In between, I change the oil filter and add enough to make up the filter difference.

I am considering Amsoil.

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
I will be replacing with Amsoil synthetic this next change, with the honda oil I would do around 6k thay say I can do double what the book says with Amsoil we will see, that would be nice 1 change a year.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Every 4,000. Dino.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
Every 3,000 even with synthetic. I want my machines to last.

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Like chopin114 I'm a once a year guy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Because I'm a mechanic by trade, I change my oils in all my vehicles every 3,000 miles. All my vehicles have lasted over 200k before I sold them, that speaks for itself. On another note, I change the oil in my bike before I put her down for the winter. That way the oil's fresh when I start her up in the spring. Also, used oil has acidic qualities that don't bode well for the internals when sitting in storage for months at a time. Just my two cents worth.
Now I always changed my oil BEFORE use.
I change lawn mower oil in spring & snowblower oil in fall.
The reason is ........sit a half full jug outside with water & see how it condensates.
I figured it condensated in my oil while sitting idle so I changed to FRESH oil BEFORE I use any gasoline engines (pressure washer, edger, cycle, etc).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.