Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let my 1986 interstate sit a couple weeks , even in summer and mice use the 2 air inlets as the front door to their own personal econolodge, and kick back in the airbox chowing on the filter- somehow install stiff metal screens in both snorkels or stuff them with steel wool ? thats a brand new filter they got 1/5th eaten

·
Registered
364 Posts
Pudd750 you might want to buy a cat haha Ive heard about another rider found dog food in his air filter and side pockets and he did not even own a dog . Hal

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

You can buy what is known as hardware cloth. It comes in different size mesh and you will want the smallest. You cut it larger than the air intakes and fold the edges over and secure it with small screws or pop rivets.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland , i thing you need 2 cats , mouse traps , and some land mines

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I live in out in the country and used to have a mouse problem. My solution was to get some 2 inch PVC pipe cut in 3 foot lengths. At the local Farm supply store I found mouse bait in bars. Cut into 2 inch lengths put it in the pipe around the out side of the buildings. They can't carry it away and inside the pipe other critters can't get to it. Keep the pipe restocked every so often.
And protect the in take like Cantankerous suggested.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
3 in/outdoor cats , 100,000 field mice outdoors , the cats love the endless toy supply, and the field mice are always wanting to be movin' on up, to the east side, to a deeluxe apartment in the sky, yea theyre movin on up, into my airbox, thanks Cantankerous for the lead- i didnt want to stuff ther snorkels with steel wool, it just rusts, so ill pester the local Ace hdwre for a small smackeral of the finest mesh - thanks for the welcome

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alas i cant feed the mice poison the cats think mice are delicious , certain parts, anyway , and a poisoned mouse would probably be bad in a cat -wish i could , though, thanks

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

Sorry to hear you are having pests moving into your motorcycle. I have heard of motorcycles being stored that end up being completely ruined due to mice.

My 1500 is parked outside under a car port and I have worried about this but have not had any problems with it YET.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and like the members of this forum, they know their motorcycle.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I have heard you can put Bounce dryer sheets around your wing and it will keep the mice away. I have not tried this so I do not know if it works.

You could also get some moth balls and place around the wing....if you do not have pets or children playing around it. They will keep the mice out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Gutter screens from Home Depot sound perfect. Just cut them to size with tin snips. You can shape/round them with persuasion with a rubber mallet and appropriate backing. Many motorcycles have them installed (especially sportbikes) from the factory to prevent larger objects from entering. Paint to match if you wish. I zip tied mine on my car intake snorkle wth a similar problem. Not only can mice chew up your filter but your wiring, hoses, etc. They're cute but cause so much trouble. My Corvette never ran the same after they chewed through several wiring harnesses. It wasn't worth the cost to repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts