Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's 850 miles, it's interstate highway (or turnpike) the whole way, traveling alone, no delays, good weather.... The point is to get to New Orleans not to visit sites along the way. If you do this ride on your Wing, do you do it in 1 day? 2 days?

When I drive this in my car I stop only when necessary and I just keep on going till I get there... About 13 hrs later. I don't care what your driving, 850 miles in 13 hrs is a looooong day but when you have no reason to stop along the way, you can do it but you're very ready to get out of the car when you arrive. Is this even feasible to do in one day on a Goldwing.

I make this drive a few times a year and I was thinking about taking the Wing.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Go for it Donald, No issue in my mind. Many guys here have gone big distances before & I have done 600+ with my little lady on back. I've already pulled in for fuel & never even got off the bike. I know you said alone (I assume you on your bike) but the only thing you didn't mention is, Will the little lady be along on her VTX? If so it won't happen. Good Luck & Ride Safe

Oops forgot to answer your original question. 1 Day.

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
I know what you mean. My family is in SE Michigan and when we drive up there it is 950 miles and 14 hours straight through. I was thinking of how a cannonball run on the bike would be this Christmas trip. With the bike you have to make more stops for fuel so the trip might take some period of time longer. Also it is pretty hard to eat while driving on the bike, which I do in the car. Like Fossil, I have riden a few 600 mile days with no problems but haven't tried anything longer. It is a question of behind strength and staying alert. You sure wouldn't want to have slow reactions in that New Orleans traffic.

For my trip up to Michigan this spring I will be trying it, but have a few places pre-planned to stop if I'm feeling tired. Let me know if you give it a try and how it goes.

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Either way, we are going to find out what your made of. I just picked up a Gel- Foam seat pad from WalMart yesterday ( $20.00 ). I haven't had the pleasure of a road trip with it yet, but the hard core riders all approve who do have it.

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Either way, we are going to find out what your made of. I just picked up a Gel- Foam seat pad from WalMart yesterday ( $20.00 ). I haven't had the pleasure of a road trip with it yet, but the hard core riders all approve who do have it.
A friend of mine leant me his spare (wives did't come along) on a 500 mile day. It did feel better than just the stock seat.

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
It may not be a cure; but most agree it's a good cheap relief. For me, if Honda would remove the grill pattern on the seat and smooth it out a bit, I think that would be an improvement.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Problem is when you have gone about 650 miles and would normally call it a day, you realize you only have another 3 hours to get to your destination. So do you pull off, get a room and then get up for a 3 hour trip or do you just keep going. So unless you want to break the ride down to two leisure 400+ mile days, I would say keep going (as long as you're not falling asleep) and get a good night's rest when you get there.....

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you for the input. As usual, the responses are enlightening. Some points I had already considered and some not.
Good question Fossil... I will be alone, solo, One Wing-One rider-One motorcycle. There would be NO Way I'd attempt this as a 1 day trip with Wendy along. You know and I know It just wouldn't happen.
I did factor in the additional fuel stops but I didn't think about eating while driving. I usually do this as well. That's a visual that just makes me laugh. So I'll add a food stop or two.
A Gel pad has been added to the 'wish list'.
Great idea Crownfire, I'll factor in a possible stopping point at 400 and 600 miles just in case but I know what you mean, TWW, about "do I stop or just keep going". I'll have those preplanned milestones so I can make it easy to make the right decision!

If I can figure out how to get this rear seat to recline, maybe I'll pull over and take a nap along the way ;););)

Thanks
Donald

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Donald, a couple more things come to my mind. 1) When are you doing this trip? The reason I ask is I know if I was going & it was around now I would probably get moving around 4-5 am & get some ground covered while it was coming out of night. When the little lady & I went to Cleveland a couple years back we got moving at 4 & we watch the sun come up in the mirrors, but got a good start til we had to stop for breakfast.
Leads me to number 2) Tie breakfast stop in with fuel stop to get the most bang for your buck time wise.
3) Forgo lunch & take a couple snack/protein bars with you & eat one or two while fueling.

I like the fact that Crownfire suggested a planned hotel stop in case you need it. I do that as well. Another one of our members BadgerFn64 just said on another thread that you should also have a couple places picked out for service if required which isn't a bad idea as well.

Anyway that's all for now. Keep us informed & take pictures as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would take two days and perhaps see a few things along the way...perhaps a side trip around Pensacola to see the Gulf...or whatever. I admit I am a bit older than most of you (I think)...I like to enjoy the trip.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill,
I'll probably make the trip in March. I can't get away until then. I agree with you about departing early in the morning. 4am sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
10,999 Posts
4 years ago while we were building our house the rest of the family was living with friends that were 625 miles away. So everytime I got 3 or 4 days off I would go through and see them. This would be my points. 1: In the car I was doing the trip in 10.5hrs-11hrs. On the bike 13hrs. As already mention in the car I could eat and drink while on the move. Which here is called dangerous driving but I took the chance. The car needed 2 fuel stops. The bike needed 5 fuel stops because of where fuel was available. 2: You must read how you are coping on the day. Physically it is harder on the bike and if I am cramping up, I give myself a extra break. I was leaving after I had just driven 1600 miles on the train so I was fatigued already. Sometime I would do 300 mile and call it a day because my consertration was not there. 3: Is there night life to consider. I had 4 roo whistles on the car and 3 on the bike. Do they work. I don't know but if they did I was hoping to frighten the crap out of them. Choppin114 not that night life. LOL. 4: When I was working in Kalgoorlie which was 1400 miles. I could do it in 2 days, sometimes I weakened and done it in 2.5 days.The most miles covered in one day by myself was 1000 miles in the car and I am not going to even dream of doing it on a bike. This is my experiences. I am a wuss and would do it in 2 days if going by bike. Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
I'll probably make the trip in March. I can't get away until then. I agree with you about departing early in the morning. 4am sounds about right.
Good for you, Get the trip planned & when you get it done then you can plan another heading North. We'll round up the troops & ride a bit. I was looking through some old posts & I found one that is interesting. I'm wondering why Matt didn't chime in on this one. Check it out & you can see that mileage can be put on when it needs to be.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1416

By the way you have to be the envy of the forum with that signature pic. Is your bodyguard for hire?????

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL... be careful what you ask for Bill.... she ain't cheap!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
In my travels I've met folks sleeping on the grass at rest stops. They ride for hours and when tired pull into the stop, sleep for about an hour and get back on the bike. That's an option if you don't mind the ground for a bed....

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd have no problem with that TWW! A picnic table would work too :)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Having been born and lived in N.O. for 40 years, I can tell you that they don't respect other cars, trucks and sure not a motorcycle. They will run you off the road to get an open spot. I watched a man in front of me one day sit at an intersection and look the opposite direction of the flow and "jump" his car a foot or two until some poor lady slammed on the breaks to let him in. He never looked at her!! and he wouldn't look at you either. The motto in N.O. is "he who hesitates, gets run over." I miss the fishing and the food. Have a great time in my city.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup.... Love New Orleans. I am in Miami now but spent the first 50 years in Nawlins. I go back regularly and sometimes drive rather than fly, hence I posted this question.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I left in '87. Lived in Gretna, graduated HS at West Jeff in '59, went off to college and back for another 20 years.

·
Registered
141 Posts
At this point I gotta go with "46", remembering its the ride, not the destination. Fatigue can creep up, dull reactions, could be a big price to pay for attempting the iron butt award. Also on a bike, weather delays/slow downs are much more likely than in a car. Smell the flowers for 2 days, enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts