Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as I had mentioned in a previous post I had to make a trip to Jacksonville. I watched the weather forecast on Monday and it predicted a sunny ride on Tuesday, rainy on Wed and Thursday and a clear day for the return on Friday. I decided to take the Wing for my longest ride yet. So far that has been an accurate forecast. Tuesday was clear and mid 60s at daybreak rising to mid to upper 70s by midday... perfect, not a cloud in the sky. Tomorrow (Fri) looks to be a great day... upper 40s mid morning in Jax and heading south into warmer territories. Miami will be mid 70s by the time I arrive.

The one way trip took 5 hours exactly for 352 miles. It is all turnpike and/or Interstate 95 all the way. I filled up when I left home, stopped once for gas along the way and no other stops until I arrived in Jacksonville. Average mpg = 38. The Wing... flawless, smooth, strong, consistent, like buttah. You know, you just realize that you are on THE best motorcycle built for THIS purpose bar none. What did become apparent to me is that the backrest and highway pegs are a blessing AND I need/want a seat cushion.

I had also posted a question some time ago about a Miami to New Orleans trip - 850 miles.. would you do it in 1 day or 2 days? This 350 mile trip confirmed what I already suspected; that is, it'll be a 2 day trip for me. After 350 miles, I know I would go another tank so let's say that'll take me to the 550 mile mark. At this point, I'd be happy to call it a day but if I needed to go to 600 mi I could do it if I wanted to get to a certain destination. So now I know that under very good conditions that 500 to 600 mile range works for me.

Finally.. I guess I must be livin' right. As you know, this is Daytona Bike Week. It is a coincidence that I am travelling thru these parts this week. Yes I saw many bikes heading from all directions toward Daytona, even on a Tuesday. I suppose there will be more on Friday. The Vendor display is held right at the J&P Cycles store which just happens to be right on my route back home. I mean like I drive right past it; saw it on the way to Jax. I plan on stopping there on the return trip to pick up a couple of goodies like a seat cushion and things I don't even know about yet! Probably look at some clothing hoping that LD Comfort Clothing will be there. Memphis Shades will be there; I will check out the Batwing fairing for Wendy's VTX. Maybe get a good horn for the VTX since the OEM stinks. Who knows... like a kid in a candy store.

So, I know I am not telling y'all anything you don't already know but for me this experience is a first; on Tuesday as I was riding from Miami to Jax, I didn't see one single bike I'd rather have been on, not one; also, I have never smiled so much on the way to work; and I haven't ever been so excited about the 350 mile drive home after business trip to Jax.

Life is good just Wingin' it.... :):):)

Donald

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Good job Donald. Glad everything went well so far. Ride Safe & enjoy.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Sure is nice when you can do a three or four hundred mile ride and still walk upright. I know what you mean about the extra seat cushion. Our tushes aren't soft but there is just something lacking in the seat design. I think it is those faux seams they put in the middle that irritate me. Some of us are using the $20 car seat gel pad from Walmart. If you find one from J&P that fits better and works nice for you, please share your find.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
rack up those miles donald thats what wings were made for, to rack up milers in comfort

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Sounds great. It certainly is nice to take the bike for a work trip. I use mine a lot for day trips to nearby districts, maybe 100 miles or so. For two of them it is easier for me to head out straight from the house than to ride into downtown Jackson to get an agency vehicle. The end of the month I have to attend a meeting in Little Rock, AR and plan on riding there, an easy 250 miles. After that I have an Uncle I haven't seen in years up in SE Missouri and will ride up that way to see him for the weekend, another 200 miles through some great roads in AR. Then a 500 mile ride home.

I know what you mean about the miles being easier on the wing. I can take my Yamaha for a 500 mile day but I'm pretty sore afterwards. I've done a 600 mile loop with the wing and felt just fine afterwards. I've tried one of those Walmart pads and they help.

Didn't bring your camera? I see in the other thread about Daytona there are very few pictures either. Come on, share the ride!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark... No I didn't bring a camera. I thought about it and just got lazy. Then once I was there I thought "I shoulda brought the camera". This is about the 100th time I have done this camera/no camera thing. By 150 I expect to work this out with myself.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Very impressive ride. When I was working in Port Lincoln, it was a 400 mile trip to get there. Now that was on the Sabre and I had to do 4 stops for gas because of the locations that you could get gas and the size of the tank.It was taking me 7 hours and riding at 70-75mph. Having the one stop and a higher speed makes a big difference in the point to point traveling time. Our radar traps stops me from going over 75 mph.
I was also impressed with your gas mileage at that speed. Riding the 1200 wing at 70-75 mph, I get 40 mpg. US gallon. The difference is splitting hairs.
Can you tell me what speed you were sitting on. I have rode 640 miles in one day on the Sabre and the last 60 miles were very hard. Being a Candy Assed Tourer. It would be interesting for for me to do it again on the wing to see how I would pull up at the end of the day.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eric,
I was at 75 mph for the most part. I hit 80 here and there but also dropped to 65 a couple of times. The one fuel stop was quick. I live 1 mile from the entrance to the turnpike and the hotel is about the same distance from the exit off of I-95 so there's not much time lost unless there's traffic. On this day there were no traffic problems and ideal conditions.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Sounds good donald, glad you got your Wing Feet wet! The run to Salmon Arm BC for the GWRRA gig is 600 miles each way, and I have four days to do it in. Not sure the Mrs is gonna be up for that one. Don`t want to go without her, but don`t wanna miss it either. Ah, what to do...

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tell mine; I'll miss you.....
I'd do the same Mark and upon my return I'd say "It was fun but not real fun without you dear"

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I'd do the same Mark and upon my return I'd say "It was fun but not real fun without you dear"
You bet, must not forget that part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts