Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 93 GW, and started riding again. 20 plus years and now coming out of retirement. I really enjoy reading from each of you more experienced riders. How long before going 2up with the wife? Does the added passenger really change that much?

Thanks and look forward to your advice.

Andycapp82

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello andycapp, welcome to GWOF and congrats onthe purchase ofyour new wing. get useto riding your new wing solo before taking on a passenger take the mfs course to refresh your riding skills also

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
+1 with what Doc says. You & your passenger will both benefit from the practice.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Congrats on the new to you Wing and welcome to the forum.

I also took a 20+ year lay off from riding but didn't start back with a Gold Wing. The Wing is heavy, get used to it in slow speed maneuvers by yourself......the last thing I would want to do is dump my Wing with my wife on the back when first getting back to riding again........it will not be a confidence builder for you or your wife. It should only take a couple of weeks to get your "sea legs" back then you can take your wife for her first ride on the Wing with a little more confidence. JMHO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to hear your back on two wheels. the safety course is a good idea. also find a large empty parking lot practice some maneuvers there. get the feel of the balance and weight.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Welcome back! It took me about one week to get used to mine before I ffelt good enough to take my wife for a ride.

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing and welcome from Pa..

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I took a mc saftey course after my layoff,it really helped.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
How long before going 2up with the wife? Does the added passenger really change that much?

Thanks and look forward to your advice.

Andycapp82
When the moment is right, she'll know it. You'll express your level of riding confidence whether directly or indirectly. Wife's are sensitive to the subtleties of our expressions. My wife had to learn how to ride as a passenger. Every oops she made was another lesson.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from maryland

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Andy, you stepped into one of the largest and heaviest motorcycles ever manufactured after a 20 year hiatus. You're a brave soul. My riding lapse was even longer but I started back riding Maxi Scooters; the Burgman 650 specifically. Even with the scooter I felt a bit intimidated at first. Man, it's going to take hours in the saddle get used to your machine. Like Chopin said, you and she will know when you're ready. My first ride experience with Debbie was easier than I expected. The GW is well balanced and is engineered for riding 2 up. Once you're rolling down the road you hardly notice you've got a passenger. Low speed maneuvering off road into gas stations, parking lots, driveways etc. is where it can get a little dicey. Remember to not use your front brake with the handle bar turned at slow speeds. Lots of folks here can tell you a story or two about that. That's where the bikes weight will work against you and is the perfect storm for dropping it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Andy, congrats and hope it works out for you. I was away as nearly as long as you, but I can give one note of advice, along with all the other great advice you got and it has to do with weight.

you can not man handle this bike, at a near stop. when stopping, even if your turing ssayyyy right at a stop waitin for a car to go by, keep you balance straight up, and handle bars pointed forward like you were goiing forward, if you dont, get your owners manual and it will show you how to pick your wing up off the ground:D it works great.... and dont forget to get your number lol. hope you dont have to. great running bike though, its my first wing and I like it a lot. If I cant ride it, its not the bikes fault.

Bob

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome to the site Andy. Take some time to get accustomed to the bike and you'll both be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of a great machine and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hadn't ridden for 20 ish years until I got a 1971 BMW R75 but before that the last big bike I had ridden was a 1940 Indian in line 4 cylinder I think it weighed over 1000 lbs. It was a tough bike to ride but the Wings are a dream!
Congratulations on the new bike I think you will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Andy: Don't you just hate it when you misspell something in the " Title " box. You can never correct it ! Welcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.