Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil after 6 months and 7,000 miles. I had Mobil 1 Motorcycle Racing in it. When the oil drained from my container, it had some metal filings in it. (94 and has 36,000 miles.) bought it with 29,000 and changed oil immediately Mobil 1.

The bike runs smooth, gets 40+ mpg and shifts real nice. Should I be worried about those metal filings?

Have I mentioned that I did put a car tire on about 6,000 miles ago?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any metal filings in your oil are not good news. You can take a sample and Finning for one will run a complete test on the oil and tell you what the filings are. ie, chromeium (sp) babbiting etc. Hopefully all is well.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any metal filings in your oil are not good news. You can take a sample and Finning for one will run a complete test on the oil and tell you what the filings are. ie, chromeium (sp) babbiting etc. Hopefully all is well.
Thanks for the response. who is Finning? never heard of that guy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I suspect that the car tire would be the main culprit. Change back to a MT and tell us how the next oil change goes. Without seeing what the metal shavings look like, I'd say stop worrying and drive it like you stole it! There are several companies which will evaluate your oil and can pinpoint what may be wearing in your engine (I.E. rod bearing, camshaft, clutch, etc.). I tend to not worry about such things and trust that the bike is fine and continue doing routine maintenance. I suppose I'm lucky and have had each one of my cars and motorcycles last longer than I had imagined. By the way, I have a second rim in the mail to which a Kuhmo is awaiting partnership.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect that the car tire would be the main culprit. Change back to a MT and tell us how the next oil change goes. Without seeing what the metal shavings look like, I'd say stop worrying and drive it like you stole it! There are several companies which will evaluate your oil and can pinpoint what may be wearing in your engine (I.E. rod bearing, camshaft, clutch, etc.). I tend to not worry about such things and trust that the bike is fine and continue doing routine maintenance. I suppose I'm lucky and have had each one of my cars and motorcycles last longer than I had imagined. By the way, I have a second rim in the mail to which a Kuhmo is awaiting partnership.
Thank you for your response.

I don't think I will ever put a motorcycle tire on my Goldwing. My experiment using a car tire has exceeded my expectations and I am grateful that I did the research and didn't have "contempt prior to investigation," which would have killed the idea.

If I get this right..... oil can be analyzed to see what kind of materials are in the oil? That sounds like something I would be interested in. Is that very costly?

My motorcycle is running good and shifting good.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
That's fossil's way of saying, " Metal filings in your oil ! Well, it was nice riding with you. "
Not true Maestro I would never show such contempt for another biker.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
why are you useing racing oil? that stuff is made to be changed at the end of the race day if not every few races. change over to mobile 1 m/c oil. its nowonder you have metal shavings in your oil

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
why are you useing racing oil? that stuff is made to be changed at the end of the race day if not every few races. change over to mobile 1 m/c oil. its nowonder you have metal shavings in your oil
Don't see Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil on the shelf at any of the auto stores around here. I just found the only fully synthetic motorcycle oil on the shelf and bought it, and it was called Mobil 1 Motorcycle Racing Oil. Been using it for about 4 or 5 years now on all of my motorcycles.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's too busy researching CTs. Here's another site www.irunact.com. You may find some answers there.

EEEEWWWHHHHH!

Don't worry about that Lar, use the money you saved from running your CT.
Gosh Bill,

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning..... or do I just rub you the wrong way? I joined this forum to exchange information about riding motorcycles, not make or take personal attacks.

Moderate yourself, son.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Finning is a service/sales company in Canada that deals in heavy duty equipment. I take a sample of my engine and transmission oil for my Cummings powered pick up to them every 100,000 Km's. The last invoice I got was for $ 55.00, well worth the peace of mind.
Any good automotive shop should be able to set you up Larry in Seattle. They will provide the sterile container.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finning is a service/sales company in Canada that deals in heavy duty equipment. I take a sample of my engine and transmission oil for my Cummings powered pick up to them every 100,000 Km's. The last invoice I got was for $ 55.00, well worth the peace of mind.
Any good automotive shop should be able to set you up Larry in Seattle. They will provide the sterile container.
Paul,

Thanks for the information. Seems like a reasonable price for such service.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Don't see Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil on the shelf at any of the auto stores around here. I just found the only fully synthetic motorcycle oil on the shelf and bought it, and it was called Mobil 1 Motorcycle Racing Oil. Been using it for about 4 or 5 years now on all of my motorcycles.
ask and see if one of the auto parts store will get you a case ofmobile 1 m/c oil. we use to have murry's auto parts stores around here, they carried castrol 70 weight m/c oil. i asked if they could get me a case of 20w50 castrol m/c oil and they did but still wouldn't put it on the shelf

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ask and see if one of the auto parts store will get you a case ofmobile 1 m/c oil. we use to have murry's auto parts stores around here, they carried castrol 70 weight m/c oil. i asked if they could get me a case of 20w50 castrol m/c oil and they did but still wouldn't put it on the shelf
Thanks for the tip.

I will give that a try after I run this oil for 6 months. I have never had any problems with Mobil 1 motorcycle racing oil with any other bike I have used it with.

From Mobil 1 website:

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 motor oil has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads.

In addition, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has a high performance dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Larry:
I've been running Mobil 1 in all my vehicles for years. I personally don't think there is a better oil anywhere. I run the 4T in both my GW and Yamaha FJR along with Fram Filters. I would suggest putting about 1000 miles on the bike and draining it again to see if there are more fileings. They also make a drain plug that has a magnet built into it so the fileings get trapped on the drain plug. With that you could unscrew the plug, use your finger to stop any oil from coming out and then check the plug for metal. Then if none is seen, screw it back in and you wouldn't lose much of your oil. Jest a suggestion.:)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
As far as I know, Mobil only makes 2 Motorcycle specific oils. One is for big twins that don't have wet clutches like Harleys. The other is the 4T and is specifically designed to be used in bikes with wet clutches. Nothing on the bottle says anything about changing after every race or two. It's the best oil you can buy in my opinion and lasts just as long as any other oil on the market.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.