Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem a little strange, but I am curious about the mesh riding jacket and pants. I have been riding for about 15 years but have never worn any of the armored gear...mainly because I live in Florida and the heat and humidity is something awful.

Do any of you have any recommendations for types/brand(s) of gear and here's the odd question... how do you wear it? Specifically, do you wear jeans underneath, shorts underneath, or "even less"? If so, how do you keep them clean and keep them from getting funky? Do they breathe well or are they like rain gear and you sweat your rear off while wearing them?

I'm planning a cross country ride next spring/early summer and feel like I need something; especially since I'm not getting any younger (I'm 62+). Any comments, recommendations or general knowledge you might want to pass on about this subject would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I wear Klim gortex jacket and pants. I can open all vents, lower windshield and direct Baker Air Wings to stay comfortable while moving when below 90 degrees. Klim is not cheap gear,

Olympia Air jacket n pants I hear are good breathable and protective. Pants have full zipper from waist to cuff so easy to get out of.

I have Joe Rocket mesh jacket that I use if really hot and little forecast of rain.

I wear shorts under Klim pants and take off if stopping to eat or some other activity.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have worn mesh gear for about 12 years and have ridden quite a lot in FL. It is like sitting behind a screen door, in the shade, with a fan blowing through it. So what ever the ambient temp is, that is what you get.

It also keeps the sun off the skin, which automatically feels ten degrees cooler. On the Vtx with no screen, if it is not at least 80 degrees, I am chilled without the liner. On the Wings, I don’t put the liner in until around 65 degrees or so.

I wouldn’t ride around the block without my full mesh gear. Just rinse it with the pads out and good to go. Although, mine seems to almost never get dirty. I wear blue jeans under my pants. I tried shorts one time and did not like it.

I won’t mention the brand, as I think they are all comparable.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have Klim Kodiak jacket and pants and Induction Pro Mesh jacket. Even with all the vents open on the Kodiak pants and jacket, they are hot above 80.
Just came back from Florida wearing the Induction jacket and regular jeans, where it was in the high 80s to high 90s for most of the ride. Even with the Induction, it was bearable when moving above 20 mph. And just hot in stop and go traffic.

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and wear it most of the year. I'm in south Mississippi which has about the same weather as Florida. I do have some mesh pants but they got packed away for our move a couple years ago and have not surfaced as yet. (I'll probably start throwing away boxes before I get them all unpacked.) I've worn the pants on long trips in the summer with gym shorts underneath and it made the ride fairly comfortable, but mostly I just go with jeans. The jacket I wear a t-shirt most of the time, but I've got a couple of those long sleeve synthetic wicking shirts that I wear when it's really hot. Any mesh gear with armor will help if you have a spill. I think that wearing sweat wicking clothing underneath will help with your cooling and limit your fluid loss. You can also splash yourself with water to wet that stuff down and the added evaporation will help cool you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have worn First Gear mesh pants for over 20 years. I am not into Klim gear. Yes, you get real good quality gear, but you pay extra for their name compared to other gear of the same quality. I have always had good luck and long life out of First Gear and Olympia brands. I have well over 100K miles using mesh pants on coast to coast trips. I have used them in the east coast heat and humidity many times. Much more comfortable than just jeans. They allow air to get around and up your legs. I have also worn them on short hikes when I stop somewhere. For me, they are just like wearing normal pants that let air in to keep you cooler. I wear Long Distance Comfort wicking underwear when I am on long trips. I have also worn normal shorts under them. When I get to where I am going, just take off the mesh pants and I am dressed for the occasion.

When they start getting that funk smell, I just remove the pads and throw them in the wash on the gentle cycle. Then let them air dry. This is usually at the end of the riding season.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been wearing a hi-viz mesh jacket for years. This summer in Pennsylvania we had "Florida" days quite often (I'm including the high humidity in there) with temps in the high 90's. Yes, I was warm but not hot in the mesh jacket. I even wore a long sleeve shirt underneath to reduce the sun going through the mesh breathing layer.

This is what I wear:

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
first gear mesh-tex pants with blue jean shorts underneath, much cooler than the Klim latitude pants that i have and an old Joe rocket ballistic jacket

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have Joe Rocket Hondaline GoldWing jacket and Olympia four seasons pants. Very seldom wear the pant liners unless it is below 40 and never wear the jacket liner - wear a rain jacket if needed. In 2016 I went down at ~50 mph in Fieldsheer four seasons pants and Fairchild Hondaline GoldWing jacket. Destroyed all of my gear, but not one drop of blood! It was a hot August evening on I40 downtown Knoxville. I a firmly convinced that sliding on asphalt is much hotter that wearing mesh gear. I usually wear nylon fishing pants under in warm weather with microfiber shirts. Wet the shirt and a microfiber towel down if it gets over about 90F. Like AC.

·
978 Posts
The mesh jacket can be wonderful. When it’s warm enough to have a short sleeve shirt on under it cools nice. I’ve squirted my arms with the waterbottle to aid cooling on occasion. The mesh pants all seem to be too much of a compromise because they have to few mesh panels. I end up wearing thin pants and over pants with all the vents opened up, because they tend to scoop air in better.

·
Registered
'84 Goldwing Aspencade,,&,,'06 CFR450R
25 Posts
I'm NOW into the new MESH Jackets for these reasons; FIRST I live in the high desert of lower Idaho and the Temps get in the triple digits often. With that said, I want to be protected more than being cool as an incentive.
NOW I wear a couple of MESH JACKET from Cycle Gear and not the super-duper priced name brands. One is a COLD/WINTER Design and I just added the cooler Design one for this BLAZING SUMMER HEAT. I think they are all about the same with the main difference being the price and perhaps the public EXPECTED pressure to wear ALL NAME BRAND because you're on a Goldwing.
I spend my money on ME and never bought anything according to price or pier pressure, never worried about what others think of me...NO insult intended to anyone on either side of the price or name on this. I put more jingle into my gas tank to burn rather than looking like I have money to burn....LMAO (I know I'm no poet but that was just funny to ME)
I tried Mesh pants by a couple of brands and never found any that gave me NEAR the same protection I'm used to feeling.
I wear a thin pair of Denim Pants and resort to my tried and true Leather Chaps....yeah, I'm warmer but protected and they come off in a hurry when I stop for more than just fuel. ( I always ride wearing thigh-high Cowboy Boots...another protection factor... that come off for a slip on low leather tennis shoe type on longer stops.)
I like MY NEW MESH Jacket for the ability to layer with the included Zip-in Liner and mine also has an outer layer that zips on for light water repellent...If it really wants to start pelting me then I put on the full blown Rain Gear, lower the windscreen, drop the visor and SLOW DOWN a bit...LOL
I wore LEATHER JACKETS for decades but decided to try these new Fangled Mesh Jackets and suprisingly enough I'm REEEALLY into the cooler options and PLUS PADDED PROTECTION advantages...Bones a more brittle at 70+ now...LOL
JUST always been about the RIDE for me anyway...RIGHT-ON?????

Find what YOU like and most importantly "WILL WEAR" or it's just a waste of gas money...right-on?

SORRY, I CAN get long winded...can't I? LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wear Joe Rocket pants and Jacket. I have removed the shells cause they are just too cumbersome. The pants have a soft mesh inner liner and the outer material is more rugged mesh combined with a strong material. I wear them over shorts in the summer and over either sweat pants or heated pant liners in the winter. The jacket is made of the same materials, however, the jacket has a zip out liner rather than the permanent mesh like the pants. The pants run small so especially if you're gonna wear clothing underneath get a bigger size. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in SE Idaho. Temps from 28° to about 100° May-September. The Wicked Stock jacket from Amazon, $70
serves me well down to about 60° in the morning at which point I wear a feather vest under it.
As it gets colder, and cold all day, I will switch to a buffalo leather jacket. Xelement B4495 on Amazon, $180.
Both are CE approved armor. As mentioned before in the summer, full sleeved mesh jackets cool you off as you ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may seem a little strange, but I am curious about the mesh riding jacket and pants. I have been riding for about 15 years but have never worn any of the armored gear...mainly because I live in Florida and the heat and humidity is something awful.

Do any of you have any recommendations for types/brand(s) of gear and here's the odd question... how do you wear it? Specifically, do you wear jeans underneath, shorts underneath, or "even less"? If so, how do you keep them clean and keep them from getting funky? Do they breathe well or are they like rain gear and you sweat your rear off while wearing them?

I'm planning a cross country ride next spring/early summer and feel like I need something; especially since I'm not getting any younger (I'm 62+). Any comments, recommendations or general knowledge you might want to pass on about this subject would be greatly appreciated...
I started wearing Tourmaster mesh gear about 12 years ago. I wear it year round. I live outside of St. Louis, MO where the weather gets anywhere from -20 to 105. It has two under-layers that I take in and out as needed. The first liner is kind of "satiney" and works as a rain-liner/wind-breaker. The second layer that I can zip into the rain liner is a quilter layer that has kept me warm pretty much down to freezing temps. I like being able to carry the two liners when I travel and in 5 minutes or so I can switch it up without having to carry another jacket. The pants I have I got on clearance and now I swear by them. They are Cortech and they have an insulated zip-out liner that I haven't used yet. The quilted liner is REALLY warm and if you try them on with the liner in you will panic trying to get them off before you melt. I wear them when I travel and they do breath when I'm moving. They are comfortable and when I get to my hotel/motel I just hang them up on a hanger to air them out and that way I only have to carry one or two pairs of jeans to wear in the evenings if I'm traveling for a week or so. I've seen too many people get injured and disfigured to ride without them now. Plus at 70 years old I don't heal up as fast as I use-ta.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SINCE YOU ASKED....Ok I will opine. After 50 yrs of riding I have learned a few things... sometimes the hard way.
I have owned 2 Aerostitch, 2 custom leather one piece, 2 Motoport, 1 Klim and a garbage truck full of stuff from cycle stores. By FAR AND AWAY...... nothing comes even close to what MOTOPORT offers and does. IF you want more info, contact me I will be happy to share my experiences. Motoport.com and you will be set for all wx and any riding event. BTW, quality is NOT expensive, it is priceless. Also, if you do enough research you will find out what I did. Motoport is the ONLY company who's gear is Motorcycle crash tested and specifically designed for use on a M/C. For example, KLIM is designed for snow mobile use....m/c is a second thought. YES I KNOW something is better than nothing... most of the time. Its kinda like flying and the Captain comes on the PA system to announce " ladies and gentlemen, we will probably be able to land safely"..... WHAT? That does not sound to good....LOL. Personally I like to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible......... FWIW
and YMMV!

...... also many professional m/c ist..... wear MP..... police etc. AND NO NOT affiliated.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I also wear Motoport; in my case Kevlar stretch - not mesh. I wear moisture wicking undergarments; usually LD Comfort. I will sometimes go with just these under the Motoport depending on my plans and the forecast.

The above combination allows me to control my environment. Open vents, add water, add layers as situation dictates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also wear Motoport; in my case Kevlar stretch - not mesh. I wear moisture wicking undergarments; usually LD Comfort. I will sometimes go with just these under the Motoport depending on my plans and the forecast.

The above combination allows me to control my environment. Open vents, add water, add layers as situation dictates.
Yep...thats the ticket. I have the marathon jacket, but both the jacket & specially the pants have the kevlar stretch... in certain areas for ease of use and comfort. The Kevlar pants and jacket, ( the MP liner for rain and cold) and heated gear.... I have ridden in 30 to 110 degree... NO PROBLEMS!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts