Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took a ride out to Bolton to see the WW II bomber, Memphis Belle, a B-17 that was used in the movie. The Liberty Foundation has this and another B-17. You can check them out at http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.html
This plane was built in 1945 but not completed until after the war was over, so it is not the original Memphis Belle which I think you may be able to see on Mud Island in Memphis. They travel around and offer rides to those who can pony up $450.00 for a ride. I just looked.

I took the Natchez Trace out there and it flew right over me as I was about to exit for the airport. I watched it take off and land a couple times then started to leave. I decided to take the airport road to Bolton and then north to Hwy 22 which is a good road with lots of sweeping curves and very little traffic. Heading out I realized that I was right at the end of the airstrip so I waited for it to come back to land. Beautiful site and next time I hope to be able to afford a ride.

The bike ride was a good one. I travelled about a hundred miles and the weather is starting to warm up. It was in the low 70’s and I will have to take the liner out of the leather jacket soon. Here is the proof I was there;

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Today I took a ride out to Bolton to see the WW II bomber, Memphis Belle, a B-17 that was used in the movie. The Liberty Foundation has this and another B-17. You can check them out at http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.html
This plane was built in 1945 but not completed until after the war was over, so it is not the original Memphis Belle which I think you may be able to see on Mud Island in Memphis. They travel around and offer rides to those who can pony up $450.00 for a ride. I just looked.

I took the Natchez Trace out there and it flew right Mat me as I was about to exit for the airport. I watched it take off and land a couple times then started to leave. I decided to take the airport road to Bolton and then north to Hwy 22 which is a good Mayo with lots of sweeping curves and very little traffic. Heading out I realized that I was right at the end of the airstrip so I waited for it to come back to land. Beautiful site and next time I hope to be able to afford a ride.

The bike ride was a good one. I travelled about a Mat miles and the weather is starting to warm up. It was in the low 70’s and I will have to take the liner out of the leather jacket soon. Here is the proof I was there;
It's a good thing that Red Wing is in the pic because I was gonna swear I had seen those pics before. kidding ! Glad you enjoyed your ride !

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Nice pictures of an era gone by. I would hate to be the tail gunner, first to get shot and first to hit the ground as pilots due, Pull up just before impact........

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Good to see you out and about Mark. 70f is just great weather amd thanks for the photos.

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Awesome pics Crownfire. Great movie as well of the days gone bye. Glad you had a good ride.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seen the real Memphis Bell in the process of restoration a Wright Patterson AFB in Ohio a few years ago

Would still like to see a B-17 in flight. Good pic's
Thanks for those pictures Ron. I may see if my local GWRRA group wants to ride up to Memphis for a day and see how that restoration went.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Great pics Mark. I loved the movie about her.. If you watch the movie make sure you read the info at the end about the number of B-17's that flew and the number of crews lost during the war. Not all the fighting was on the ground.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Thanks for those pictures Ron. I may see if my local GWRRA group wants to ride up to Memphis for a day and see how that restoration went.
So they have her flying again. When we were there, there was some discussion weather they were going to Repaint the Bell herself or leave her as part of History and paint around her, and there were the names of people that bought war bonds that were scratched into the fuselage some wanted to leave the names and just paint over them others wanted to replace the panels to make it original.
If you do go besure to take some pictures.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one flying is not the actual Memphis Belle. This one was constructed right at the end of the war and was painted like the Belle for the movie. The actual one is on display at the National Museum of the US Air Force near Dayton, Ohio.
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/questions/topic.asp?id=510
It used to be in Memphis but is being restored.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Love the pictures Mark....Nice job.

Mark

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Great movie, and great pictures. Would sure love to see one in person one day.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Love the old War Birds. My grandfather who was riding his Harley on the TT tracks an other places right before he went to England . He was an engineer on a B24. More B24's were built than any other WWII plane.They flew higher faster an futher than the B17's but the 24's were so ugly Hollywood didn't give them the same coverage. My grandfather would say the 17 was a Hollywood Bomber and the 24was the box it came in.
Great pic's of the Grand oh gale flying!

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Great pictures. I have always liked the sound of the old aircraft.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is only proof that your bike was there! I don't see you in any of the pictures.

I know you are a busy guy running out to all those fires, but I sure would like to ride the Trace this year. Keep it in mind.

I took the Natchez Trace out there and it flew right over me as I was about to exit for the airport. I watched it take off and land a couple times then started to leave. I decided to take the airport road to Bolton and then north to Hwy 22 which is a good road with lots of sweeping curves and very little traffic. Heading out I realized that I was right at the end of the airstrip so I waited for it to come back to land. Beautiful site and next time I hope to be able to afford a ride.

The bike ride was a good one. I travelled about a hundred miles and the weather is starting to warm up. It was in the low 70’s and I will have to take the liner out of the leather jacket soon. Here is the proof I was there;

·
Registered
51 Posts
That looks like a good time ...am stopping in Dayton Ohio on my Coast to Coast Bike trip this July at the National Museum of the United States Air Force were the original Memphis Bell is although apparently it is still being restored after being left to the elements for years

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is only proof that your bike was there! I don't see you in any of the pictures.

I know you are a busy guy running out to all those fires, but I sure would like to ride the Trace this year. Keep it in mind.
Well, my bike didn't ride itself there! But I was thinking of riding the Trace up to Nashville this fall. (Spring and Summer are already shot) From there up into Kentucky, around and back through north Alabama.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts