Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a Mech tell me 49k was a lot of miles on a 1981

He said 49k wasnt a lot for a newer one but it was a lot for a 1981!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you need a new mechanic, my '84 has just over 50k. so what does your mechanic want us to do get rid of our wings? how is your 1100 running, having problems locating any parts you need

·
Registered
455 Posts
He must have thought you were referring to a MOPED??????? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Lets see, thats 1,367 miles per year on an engine that can go well over 100k miles. So at that rate it should be good for 73 years. Go out and ride and forget about the na-sayers...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts

he thought you had a harley didn't he

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That mechanic is all wet. I had 167,000 on my '84, no repairs other than the stator(s) and a new exhaust system. I put 50k on my 750 for crying out loud. That isn't high miles for a Harley either, but you'd likely have redone the top end at least by then, and a full rebuild by 80k is common.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts

So by following his logic, the older a vehicle gets the fewer the miles it should have on it.

Ok I got it, I am driving all my vehicles in reverse from now on. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
It's a lot of miles if you don't ride much.
when people see how many miles i have on my wings they say i need to get out and ride more

·
Registered
16 Posts
Volwings
49k on your Goldwing , the motor is just about broke in My buddy is riding a 76 with over 200,000 miles , other than the heads the motor has never been opened--Before you do anything else , replace your mechanic Get yourself a manual and follow the maintaince steps and enjoy
Terry

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Volwings
49k on your Goldwing , the motor is just about broke in My buddy is riding a 76 with over 200,000 miles , other than the heads the motor has never been opened--Before you do anything else , replace your mechanic Get yourself a manual and follow the maintaince steps and enjoy
Terry
I agree with you.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
He must be an X Harley mechanic, thats a lot for a Harley, nothing for a Gold Wing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts