Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone was telling me that they used a shot of MMO in the crankcase. Something about the synthetic oil does not have some of the natural minerals as fossil oil. these minerals are soaked up in the clutch disc helping performance. Anyone heard of this? I don't know sounds possible to me. In was thinking of adding a shot going for a ride to circulate it and let sit for a while, before i flush with a oil change. I do put a shot of seafoam in the oil usually just before a oil change.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
mmo will thin you oil, use it as an enging flush or a carb cleaner but don't leave it in the enginge for anything else

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Do not put marvel mystery oil in your engine, listen to the Doc above!

Mark

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
It's a motorcycle, using anything other than motorcycle formulated oil is a mistake.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
won't hurt to flush it with mmo and maybe find a oil with a bit more graphite, just flushed the clutch system, but I can still feel a slow release in the clutch lever just the last little bit. works fine but when riding two up and really twisting it I got to give it a split second before twisting again after a shift or it will slip. thats the only time it will slip. I never seen a semi with a wet clutch been been driving since 90. worked on many farm tractors with a wet clutch.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I can still feel a slow release in the clutch lever just the last little bit. works fine but when riding two up and really twisting it I got to give it a split second before twisting again after a shift or it will slip. thats the only time it will slip.
You might want to remove the slave cylinder and give it a good cleaning and/or rebuild.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well don't know if it's the MMO flush or the fact I went Lucas oil synthetic 10/40 for wet clutch. but the clutch don't seam to slip now, and definitely shifts smoother. seams to just run quieter.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil -

I personally think we should follow the instructions of the manufacturer when it comes to the care and feeding of a Goldwing. If Honda recommends NOT adding an oil additive and/or friction modifier - they have the proven results to back up their reasons through laboratory tests.

I have used lots of oil and gas supplements in many old "Beat-um Up Trucks" including Marvel Mystery Oil, STP Oil treatment, Prolong Super Oil Supplement, etc...... and according to the directions on most of them they can do just about anything and everything. The "Distinctive Characteristics" of Marvel Mystery Oil for example includes the improvement and strengthening of the lubrication characteristics of any oil by reducing friction and internal engine wear. It gives protection against scoring and seizure.

If you add the same product to gasoline or diesel it will keep your fuel pumps, carburetors and injectors clean plus eliminates the need for frequent adjustments. It removes carbon deposits, gums, varnish and sludge. MMO decreases upper cylinder wear, provides longer piston ring life and retards souring fuel. When added to oil and fuel together, it eliminates the tendency for fuel to congeal and makes winter starting quick and easy.

The only characteristics these products fail to include is a claim to magically rebuild a worn out engine, grinding transmission and clogged fuel system with only one application. These supplements have been around since the early 1920’s right along with the "one dose" snake oil remedy that cured athletes foot, tooth aches, poor digestion and whooping cough. It is not that I do not think MMO is a fine product but petroleum technology has come a long way in the last 100 years. I would think that with the variety of modern lubricants available on the market today that every vehicle manufacturer would have completed exhaustive tests to recommend the lubricants best suited to provide a long and trouble free life.

Of course every owner is always free to spend his money on any supplemental remedy for his ride that he chooses. It is just that most of our evaluations are made by the seat of our pants.

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.