Honda Goldwing Forum banner

101 - 120 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Hey gang - remember when we were on 676 headed back to Marietta and looked off to the left to see neatly-trimmed shrubs like this...

...I found it in Google earth! Not everyone will agree, but I thought it was pretty cool to see the name of our Savior emblazoned on the hillside like that, with the three white crosses!

Sing to the one who rides across the ancient heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky. Ps 68:33
Saw that, as well, Tom. Very impressive and meaningful.:super:

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Got home around 3:00 PM today and 1500 miles, including detours for stopovers in KY and NC. Great M&G and what a great time. Sure was super to meet the "new" and visit with the "old", err, those we've met before. Such a great reunion, especially to see folks coming from so far away, like the Mills and Coopers. What a wonderful weekend; can't wait for the next one. :super:

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

....to the following for helping with our outstanding M&G in Marietta, OH.
1)To those of you who showed up at the M&G, who made it one of the most memorable ever. We had folks from 12 states and 1 CAN Providence; I counted 29 bikes/trikes & 38 folks.
2) To Alan (Alwims) TX, for providing the super name tags for everyone (although he & Carol were unable to attend).
3) To our Road Captain, Mark (Crownfire) MS, who chose such scenic routes to ride.
4)To SegwayWinger, Al, who showered all with gifts, such as "gremlin bells" and buttons/mirrors.
5) To the staff at the Magnuson Hotel, especially Joyce, who were so accommodating and helpful. Great service!

It was our pleasure to put this together and see all of our 'old friends' as well as meet our new! What a great time! G & N:x

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Here is my version of the adventure which includes there and back. This will include the roads we travelled for those who follow along in an atlas. Make some notes as you will want to ride these roads one day.

I headed out early on Thursday to meet a couple people in Athens, Alabama. Five other bikes in the lot Phil, Shannon, Robby, Eck, and Peter ate a late breakfast at the Cracker Barrel. Pete stopped to meet us on his way from Pennsylvania which Alabama is on the way to Ohio isn’t it? We met Eck for the first time and his little rear trunk is a work of art. He is a retired engineer and comes up with some interesting modifications to the bike. We headed up to Elizabethtown and then east on the Bluegrass Parkway to Lexington for the night. The only stop along the way was to see the Beech Fork Covered Bridge (1865) but it was being repaired and wasn’t much to look at. It was down to bare bones and they were working on getting a steel infrastructure into it. We had a good evening and were enjoying an adult beverage when Big Ken showed up late that evening. We also noted that Shannon’s rear tire looked on its last legs.

The next morning Shannon and Robby headed down to Richmond for a tire and the rest of us headed out toward Marietta. We headed toward Paris and then out US 68 to a detour on KY 1029 for a stop at Johnson Creek Covered Bridge (1862). There Pete jumped out into the lead and took us for a spirited run to US 62 and into Maysville. Here we crossed the Ohio River and took then on more curves on OH 41 all the way up to US 50. Then east on US 50 to OH 677 up to Zaleski. Then on OH 278 which was a great road with sharp curves and steep ridges to go over. Your stomach took a leap going over those and they said the person in front would just drop out of sight going over it. I think all three of us say everyone should add this road to their bucket list. This took us to Nelsonville where we found a mother-load of caboose for Big Ken. A short run east on US 33 took us to OH 550 which was a great curvy road into Marietta.

Pictures;
1. Beech Fork Covered Bridge
2. Johnson Creek Bridge
3. Along KY 1029
4. Caboose at Nelsonville, Ohio
5. HAT riders Phil, Ken, Mark, and Pete

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
There is plenty of documentation of the gathering Friday evening. Peach was passed and it was great to have Phil around more than just in spirits. Other adult beverages were consumed and old friends met new friends. More than a couple people commented to me that even if this was the first time some met in person it felt that we already knew everyone. This Forum seems to foster that and if you haven’t made one of these gatherings you need to try the next one. Just MHO.

On Saturday there were 16 bikes to go along on the HAT ride out OH 26 to see a few covered bridges and then onto OH 78 for a quick stop at the site where the front of the USS Shenandoah rigid airship crashed in 1924. Some of the crew survived the crash riding the front section to the ground here. There was a car in the circle when I pulled up so only a few used that after they drove off. Kind of tight but what traffic there was got around us.

Pictures;
1. Bikes gathering up to ride out Saturday morning
2. Hune Covered Bridge, 1879. You can ride across this one as Pete and Phil did.
3. Rinard Covered Bridge, 1876.
4. Knowlton Covered Bridge and the HAT riders.
5. USS Shenandoah crash site.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Then we ran to McConnelsville for a nice lunch. We met up with the other part of the HAT riders who went on the loop from the other direction. After lunch our group headed west to jump on OH 555 which is just as good as advertised for motorcycles. We took this south then east on OH 676 and into Marietta.

Pictures;
1. Morgan County Courthouse in downtown McConnelsville.
2. The Fossil’s heading out.
3. You never know who you might run into on your travels.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
We all started our ride home on Sunday in a light rain and everyone heading in different directions. I headed out OH 550 to OH 690 and then US 50 past Athens. On OH 32 I was going to stop at a covered bridge but it was still raining and I missed the side road to it. At US 23 I headed south to cross into Kentucky at Portsmouth. Along KY 7 I stopped at the Bennet Mill Covered Bridge (1875) which is still in use. Continuing on 7 to KY 2 and down to I-64. Over to Winchester and down KY 627 to Richmond for a stop at the site of a Civil War Battle from 1862. The Confederates soundly defeated the Yankee forces at this battle. It is an interesting site that has been preserved by locals with no Federal assistance.

Pictures;
1. Bennet’s Mill Covered Bridge
2. Rogers House which was the Union Generals headquarters until they were run off.
3. Mt. Zion Church was where the first Union line was situated.
4. Pleasant View Farm on the south end of the battle site.
5. The barn and family cemetery at Pleasant view witnessed the Confederate forces form up and advance on the Yankee just behind me in this picture.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
After this I hit my gps for a small town that I needed to get to and it took me down this small farm lane. It was just wide enough for one vehicle and a motorcycle, which I got to experience twice. It was a shortcut that saved me about ten miles. This took me to KY 52, US 27, KY 78, US, 127, KY 70, to Cambellsville and then south on KY 55 for a stop at Tebb’s Bend Civil War battle site. This 1863 battle witnessed a small Yankee force hold off a larger Confederate force because of the narrow front between a large bend in the river. They were defending this road and vital bridge that supplied Federal forces in Kentucky. I stopped for the night in Bowling Green, KY.

The next morning I continued west in Kentucky to Murray and then South for a visit at Fort Donelson where US Grant had his first victories during the recent unpleasantness between the north and south. After that I blasted south through Memphis to the house.

Pictures;
1. A narrow farm lane I travelled.
2. Tebb’s Bend bridge, it was a covered bridge in 1863 but is a steel bridge now.
3. This is the ridge that the Union forces defended. Very narrow with the river to the left and a ravine into the river on the right.
4. Monument at Jefferson Davis birthplace in Fairview, Kentucky.
5. Dover Hotel, Dover, TN where the Confederate forces surrendered to US Grant.

Over the five days I travelled 2154 miles and Ohio was the tenth state I visited this year. My bike was moving for 36:02 hours (1/3 of the time I was gone from home) and my top speed was 92 mph. This was while heading sound of Memphis and passing some trucks when someone was coming up on my rear. I goosed it just a little and got out of his way. I also added 35 counties to my visited map. The best part was seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I didn’t get to talk with everyone like I wanted to so we have to do this again. I had a truly excellent time and look forward to the next one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Wow!!! Great Pics Stephen @Badrider and Awesome ride report and photos Mark @crownfire , I personally love the photo of me chasing the Golddragon up 1029. Super fun....... Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Then we ran to McConnelsville for a nice lunch...

3. You never know who you might run into on your travels.
DANG! I missed "the Donald" out in front of the Blue Bell!

Sing to the one who rides across the ancient heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky. Ps 68:33

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Donald was across the street at the Republican headquarters. He was on his way to a rally and I asked the security detail to let me get a picture with him.

Phil, you will like this one too. It's you crossing the river into Ohio. Be sure to update your map.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
It was really great to meet all you fine folks - now I understand why everyone was so giddy in their anticipation of this event!
I will definitely be back next time and bringing Cheryl (if she doesn't fall off a chair or something)

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Wow, those are some incredible photos, thanks.
Just for the tally, we logged 1028 miles plus the local rides which I did not record. They are probably in trip B, but I am a thousand miles from the bike, so perhaps someone can do an estimate.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Donald was across the street at the Republican headquarters. He was on his way to a rally and I asked the security detail to let me get a picture with him.

Phil, you will like this one too. It's you crossing the river into Ohio. Be sure to update your map.
I do like that pic....and I have now updated my map.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Some screen shots from videos...
(segwaywinger) Al pulling in to ANNA'S
Ready to roll!
Jesus shrubs
After lunch - let's hit the twisties!
TWISTIES!

·
Super Moderator
27,555 Posts
Mz. J's camera was acting up so we didn't get as many as normal. Here are a few of folks getting ready to head out on Sat. ride

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,555 Posts
On the road, with rain in the beginning she only took a few close to stopping for lunch.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,555 Posts
At the Blue Bell Diner for Lunch.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,555 Posts
More from the Blue Bell............Hey Mark, Janice saw that fella too. ;)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,555 Posts
Final photos from the Sat evening bs session

Attachments

101 - 120 of 225 Posts