Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never been to San Ysidora. Ca. I am wondering if I travel north on Route 5 at night one will it be low traffic and two is it safe? would appreciate input from someone in that area or familiar with it...thanks going through Los Angeles or at least it looks like it does....

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Lee,

There are several Southern Cal guys here, JoeinCalif & Dookoo to name 2. I'm sure somone will respond.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fossil I know ....everyone here is very helpful and I appreciate it. I also like being a member of this site...truly mean that to. I have been singing the praises of the Wing as well....

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd rather have tree plug on my tire then travel for hundreds of miles at night on bike.
(spelling is ok)
IMHO
Giz that does not help and I am very familiar with the east coast thank you... :D

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
I'd rather have tree plug on my tire then travel for hundreds of miles at night on bike.
(spelling is ok)
IMHO
I can tell you Gizmo I have made several late night/early morning runs over the last several years & there is something that is so exilirating about riding in the dark. Especially on a peaceful Full Moon night.:D

It's Awesome.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fossil is right I did the 1500 miles run in Texas 6 am to 4:43 am. on a full moon night it was great. You just need to know when to stop or rest if you are fatigued and can not keep awake.
Anyone who can let me know about the west coast I would apprecaite the input...thanks

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Never been to San Ysidora. Ca. I am wondering if I travel north on Route 5 at night one will it be low traffic and two is it safe? would appreciate input from someone in that area or familiar with it...thanks going through Los Angeles or at least it looks like it does....
Not sure where San Ysidora is however rode Route 5 last October at night from San Clemente to San Diego. We rode up that morning from San Diego to Huntington Beach and rode the coast highway as far south as possible before getting on I-5 back to San Diego that night. Traffic was much lighter at night but gets much busier closer to Anaheim and north thru LA. Of course rush hour is the worst and should be avoided. Route 5 north of San Diego at Camp Pendelton gets really socked in with fog as you're riding right next to the ocean. Being able to see over the windshield was most important as the windshield was impossible to see through. The fog starts rolling in just before dark (during October at 5pm). It also dropped in temperature pretty fast along the ocean. Route 5 in southern California has at least 5 or 6 lanes on each side and traffic is quite brisk. Imagine that my wife and I were on a 400cc Maxi Scooter riding I-5 at night going 75mph in fog. It was adventurous. ;)

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I live in Seattle and have made the trip to southern California several times on a motorcycle. The roads on the west coast run in the valleys between the mountains. So do the deer...... I can't suggest a safe route on the west coast riding a bike at night unless you are in a population center where the deer kind of stay away.

I am not sure how far north you plan to ride....

In the morning, I-5 has road kill teams that clean up the dead deer on the side of the road. You might survive hitting a deer, but an elk hit is deadly and they travel the same valleys.

Going through the Siskus (misspelled) mountains in southern Oregon is dangerous in a car at night and there are two options, highway 101 or I-5 going north. There is often times frost on the road in June in those mountains at night. The wind off the ocean brings in warm moist air that drops onto the road in the form of frost, ice in some cases. Black ice is hard to see, but it is there.

Going around that mountain range on the coast is suggested by using 101.... but then that is were it never stops raining due to orographic precipitation. (The mountains squeezing the water out of the moist air from the Pacific.)

There is good reason why few people live in that area that is so pretty at certain times of the year.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am going to leave on Thurs. at 430 mountain time and tide non stop except for two gas stops to San Ysidro. I have to take a photo of a land mark...fill up and mail the four corners envelope..I am thinking I will be there around 7pm ish...then I will be heading north to Blaine washington....to do the same thing....I will most likely stop north of Bakersfield.. I am thinking route five is the way to go...I would hit the LA area after night fall.....does that sound resonable to yoiu coastal riders?
Larry is it okay on route five after nightfall in washington..I was hoping to ride around seatle after night fall to avoid traffic....? or is that a bad night ice area.....

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Just read your post, your heading to Bakersfield after you leave San Ysidro so that about 250 miles, that would put you there around midnight. You can take the 5 straight up, that would be the fasters route and the traffic would be very light at that time. There are a lot of places to stay along the way, so if you get tired don't push it.

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Told you Lee. Our Joe would have some info for you.

Way to go Joe.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes you did and I am taking notes....:D I wish I had my seat ...I want to go riding a bit..but the lambs wool customized for the seat will be worth the wait...agian thanks guys..any more discussion on night ice this time of year would be apprecaited...that stuff is sooo dangerous for cars let alone bikes....

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I've been on I-5 in the day and night and it is a fast road. Busses on cruise (foot planted on the floorboards) and other behemoths at breakneck speeds. Side roads in California (in my limited experience) are to be avoided at night, they are a haven for balck tail deer.:eek: Be careful out there Lee.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have two routes I think the only variation is on the east coast to keep away from NJ and washington ...but they are both 10,300 miles...

I appreciate the input and if I ever can help in return please let me know.

This is not locked yet please look and let me know if anything is not a good fit. I am going to the center or towards the center to pick up a few miles...I want to have atleast 300 extra miles to avoid miscaculations.

Thank you alll Lee

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Looks like your gonna do a brief run through Alabama. If I can do anything for you.....feel free to let me know.

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
It also appears as though you will be taking 1-81 through PA in the 1st map. Is that correct?????

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fossil that is correct....I know how bad traffic can be on the east coast. going throught NYC...even on the weekend can be a nightmare..so I am going up the NY thruway and across the mass turnpike. and I will come back down the same way across rt. 17 the quickway..and to route 81 go south for a good portion to avoid Washington DC...then back to 95 and to key west...I think that will work...any concerns...?

Can you PM your phone again...the Mrs..has asked that I not post on FB while I am gone...so I was going to text you a daily update to you and EFINREF...to know how it goes...I will start a thread with the course I will take...does that sound okay? EIf..is that okay? let me know...thanks everyone for your help//

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Fossil that is correct....I know how bad traffic can be on the east coast. going throught NYC...even on the weekend can be a nightmare..so I am going up the NY thruway and across the mass turnpike. and I will come back down the same way across rt. 17 the quickway..and to route 81 go south for a good portion to avoid Washington DC...then back to 95 and to key west...I think that will work...any concerns...?

Can you PM your phone again...the Mrs..has asked that I not post on FB while I am gone...so I was going to text you a daily update to you and EFINREF...to know how it goes...I will start a thread with the course I will take...does that sound okay? EIf..is that okay? let me know...thanks everyone for your help//
PM sent your way....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.