Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I will when this tire wears out.

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
Want to come change mine? ;)

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
was that “Irish“ coffee? ?

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Administrator
25,891 Posts
Anybody remove the rear wheel of an 1800? I know I've seen mention of guys laying the bike over on the right side and pulling the wheel, but I'm thinking that's a 2 man job. One to hold the brake lever and one to undo/redo the lug nuts. I'm thinking a second body would come in handy setting the bike up again...grass surface and all that...

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Anybody remove the rear wheel of an 1800? I know I've seen mention of guys laying the bike over on the right side and pulling the wheel, but I'm thinking that's a 2 man job. One to hold the brake lever and one to undo/redo the lug nuts. I'm thinking a second body would come in handy setting the bike up again...grass surface and all that...
It definitely is a two woman job!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've done it myself a couple of times, but not on grass. A second person to help get it back upright is definitely a bonus.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: budoka

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
A few years back, a buddy of mine bought the Harbor Freight Motorcycle tire machine and he said we could change the REAR tire on my wing since I was going Darkside, I figured why not, we’ll give it a shot!
Holy crap that job was a bitch! Even bent the machine trying to do it, I decided from that day forward I would pay the man and have it done at the shop! :oops::poop:?

·
Super Moderator
28,515 Posts
Nicely done Dustin

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I did mine on the center stand. It took quite awhile being my first time. I had to remove the center section between the 2 panniers, the framework and a box I think holds the amp. An impact wrench with a swivel will fit to remove the lugs. Torquing the lugs was no problem with it in gear. I have a NoMar tire changer. Not too bad but I'm still learning technics to this machine.

·
Administrator
25,891 Posts
I have the Pakit Rack on mine and don't want to remove it if I can help it. Been on there for years now and would likely be worse than the wheel to take off. Reckon I'll find out come spring

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1800 rear is a piece of cake, I did it by myself when I mountted a car tire by hand.

·
Super Moderator
14,577 Posts
I do believe that you got all the good out of that front tire. It also looked like another set of hands would have come in handy. I'm a bit disappointed you didn't call me so that I could help you drink your beer.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do believe that you got all the good out of that front tire. It also looked like another set of hands would have come in handy. I'm a bit disappointed you didn't call me so that I could help you drink your beer.
I did that at about 1:30 AM, had a early morning ride the next day. Thats why coffe and not beer in the video.

·
Administrator
25,891 Posts
1800 rear is a piece of cake, I did it by myself when I mountted a car tire by hand.
So how did you remove the lugs with no one to hold the brake? I don't have a swivel ratchet so clearance may be an issue for me? Total rookie on this and I can't lay the bike over in the garage to check it out. I'm going to get through it, but I have some worries about it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Do
So how did you remove the lugs with no one to hold the brake? I don't have a swivel ratchet so clearance may be an issue for me? Total rookie on this and I can't lay the bike over in the garage to check it out. I'm going to get through it, but I have some worries about it.
You could tie the hand brake lever against the throttle grip to hold it if you don't have an impact wrench. The front and rear brakes are connected yes? If memory serves you'll have to use a swivel.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
On second thought my torque wrench fit just fine with a deep socket to put them on. If you have a breaker bar that would work also.

·
Administrator
25,891 Posts
Thanks guys. I know it will be a learning experience, just trying to save some pain in the process.

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
I used a 1/2“ Matco air gun with a deep socket to remove the lugs on the rear wheel.

i also jacked it up with a pit bull motorcycle jack.

Reactions: JKWinger
1 - 20 of 23 Posts