Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2006 Wing, that has the factory comfort package. PO had a replacement Honda rear seat heat adjust reostat that he said would fix the problem....Surprise!!...I just installed the replacement, and still no heated grips or seats...no blown fuses, but, with engine running, the " number 2 heat" 5 amp fuse terminals show over 12 volts on my multimeter, yet the "number 1 heat" 20 amp fuse terminals shows zero volts. I assume that all heated functions are connected in series, so with zero voltage at number 1 heat circuit grips and seats both would have no heat function. Is number 2 heat for grips, and number 1 heat for seats? Are relays wired before or after the fuse box? Any advice is appreciated...thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello singring, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
There is a relay under the seat and another control component behind the left saddle bag I have a ‘10 that had a problem with the controller it was doing all sorts of strange things and yes it’s all in series so if one thing goes it all shuts down the heating package on these leave a lot to be desired I’ve heard of some people doing a few mods to it that make it a bit more reliable but have look all that hard yet

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
The seat and grips should be on separate circuits, not together. The seat has an ambient temp cut-off at 15*c (59*f) and above that the seat will NOT activate; the grips are supposed to be 'always on'. If you are getting varied voltages at different settings, I'd say there is an internal problem somewhere. Sounds like you need assistance...1-800-trikelady;)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Everything has to be connected for it to work, check all connections, but most that have the heat option have lots of trouble with it. Better to put after market heated grips on it.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, you folks are terrific...This all helps very much. I will post my results as soon as I can get some time to diagnose the problem, and make the repair.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Lets see if we can shed some light on this. You have no seat heater or grip heaters, right.

Circuit Operation:

The seat heater relay receives battery voltage from fuse 11 (5 amp) when the ignition switch is turned to "Start". The heater control unit receives system voltage from fuse 11 (5amp), on the Red/black circuit, when the ignition switch is turned to "START".

The Front heater switch controls the front heater. The rear heater switch controls the rear heater. The grip heater switch controls the left and right grip heaters.

The heater control unit activates the front and rear seat heater elements by the relay control circuit ( Black/white). The circuit energizes the seat heater relay allowing voltage from fuse 29 (20 amp) to flow to the seat heater element.

The front and rear thermistor controls the maximum seat temperature and prevents overheating.

1. The heater control unit for the front seat, and grip heaters is located under the left saddle bag (must be removed to get to it). Its about 8 inches behind the battery.
2, The heater relay for the rear seat heater is located in the relay box located under the rear seat.
3. As stated the heaters are protected from overheating by thermistors. And that output to the heaters varies with temperature.
4. The rear heater switch, front heater switch and grip heater switch are 5 k ohm switches with 1k ohm pick offs at each position ( 5 each, 1k ohm resistors in series). So if you read across the switch it should read 5 k ohms. There are 3 wires on each switch and one is the center tap. Center tap to each side should read from 0 to 5 K depending on switch position. Its just a center tapped pot that steps in 1 k ohm increments.

This should give you an idea of how the heaters work and give you some places to look. Logically the Heater Relay(under the seat) would, if bad, kill both seat and grip heaters. But the Heater Control Unit would do the same thing. Those are the only two units that I can see that would kill both the seat heaters and grip heaters. If just one of the heaters was dead, I would check the corresponding heater switch and the corresponding thermistor. But from what I see on the schematics, the Heater Relay or the Heater Control Unit is the culprit or they are not getting power. Remember this only happens when the key is turned to the "Start" position.

Hope this helps......Isaac

Reactions: Crispy Duck

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA. Hope things "heat up" for you shortly. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Thanks DreamWeaver I just picked up more in 5 min. then if I was in a class all day.

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
Make sure that the connections are firm in the plastic connector, from the plugging and unplugging they may get loose.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Seat/Grip Heaters 06 Trike

Good Morning from balmy Southern Utah where it's a delightful 23*. I can see I should have joined this forum much sooner, lots of great info here. I'm looking for an assist with a probelm I've encountered on an '06 GL1800 I just finished a trike conversion on for a friend. We've been doing these since '02 and have a small shop here in Utah. This '06 is the first "newer" Wing we've done and I never realized there was this much "stuff" in there...lol! Mechanically, the conversion we do is pretty much the same from year to year with the exceptions of suspension and mechanical upgrades. I've read the previous posts and they were helpful but I'm still stymied and hoping someone can shed some light on my dilema. Long & short is the seat heaters don't work. The owner said they worked when the bike came in and I believe him although I didn't try them. Grip heaters work, all connections seem to be good. Checked relays and fuses, all appear ok. Is the 'heater control unit' I saw mentioned that silver colored box attached to the frame just behind the saddlebag grommets?? How to check it. Any help would REALLY be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a link to the Heater Unit location, as seen in a parts schematic, it is part number 16. It is housed in a rubber mount number 17. Don't confuse the heater control unit with the reverse control unit, which is number 2:

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...L1800/GroupID/217166/Group/CONTROL_UNIT_('06-)

Also, here is a link to Goldwingsdocs forum, with my original post requesting assistance. The WingAdmin reply will give you location of the heater control unit, and also the best procedure to finding the fault, so your heat issue will be resolved. Just follow the steps, as they are laid out in the best, fault-finding order. You will see at the end of the thread what solved my issue. I have passed this on to many GL1800 owners:

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14143

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Great update singring! Thanks for posting that link too, I'm sure it will help lots of our members here.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Wow, thanks so much for all the great info. Went thru everything I could, wiring connections first and I'm getting "some" heat at the seat. The heater cuts off at around 60* as shown on the dash panel so I'm assuming that part is right. This is the first comfort package we've had in the shop and I'm just not familiar with how some of the stuff works. Is the seat supposed to get real toasty or just not as cold? I'm assuming toasty like my pickup but if it's not, what could the culprit be, thermisistors perhaps? And how do you get at those to check/test them??

·
Registered
347 Posts
My '08 seat and grip heaters work, but I've found that a heated jacket liner and gloves are the only way to go. Heating your buns and palms are no comparison to a warm torso and warm hands. My Firstgear gloves have the heating elements on the knuckle side of the gloves, the side exposed to the wind.

I rode with a group of friends to Death Valley two weeks ago and on the way there, hit a 4-5 mile section where it was 25* (a personal best for me.) Hands and body were toasty warm. The chaps kept my legs comfy while the toe heater vents did their thing.

Good luck getting your grip/seat heater issues resolved. They'll make a good backup sytem for your electric gear. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seat heater

Thanks Dreamweaver, I to have the same problem on my 2008. Hopefully it's just the relay. That was an awesome explanation.
Rob

·
Banned
4 Posts
Baffling Heating Problem

Hi guys,

New forum member here. I have a 2008 GL1800 HPN with about 13K miles on it. The problem is that three days ago, I went to work in 48°F weather, and realized that my grips weren't heating, but it seemed like my butt heater was working.

For background on my skill set, I'm an FCC licensed General Radiotelephone operator, a HAM, and have been repairing and testing electronics for 40 years now. I currently work in a lab which qualifies new electronic parts for avionics equipment, and also does failure analysis. I'm not bragging. Just letting you know I'm familiar with schematics. But to be honest, automotive wiring diagrams always seem to get me flustered.

I took off the shelter, and checked the grip resistance at the grip plugs per Mother Honda. They were both 2.5 ohms ... so great.

I took the rotary selector switches to work where I have microscopes (my old eyes don't' see that well anymore). The switches were fine and the resistances checked out.

I sprayed all the connector's I'd taken apart with CAIG DeOxit and mated everything back together on the bike to do some electrical checks.

Weird ... but now, the grips are heating, AND my seat back is heating. But no butt heat on either the front or back seat.

I've gone through testing the thermisters in the seat, and the heater elements. They all seem check out.

I've looked at the schematic and can't figure out how I could have seat-back heat, but no butt heat if the heating elements and the thermisters all check out.

I'm down to taking the left saddlebag off to check the heater control unit, but I'm getting frustrated with tearing the bike apart and not finding anything.

I've got a Honda 2006 manual for the 2006 I used to have. The heater control unit shown in that manual doesn't seem to look the same as what I think I'm seeing right behind the saddlebag, just to the right of the battery.

Any idea if the heater unit has changed between 2006 and 2008? Or if it's location has changed? I understand I should see a module with a multipin plug that sometimes gets corroded pins. I'd like to get to it to bug it out. But I'm still thinking that if the seat back is heating up, why wouldn't the two butt heater?

From what I'm seeing on the net, people who have had heating problems go through somewhat of a nightmare finding it. I'm reading that even dealers don't seem too great at solving the issues.

But I'm thinking with the grips and seat back heating, what's left can't be a huge problem and likely a connector issue. Probably?

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome RF. The service manual for the 2006 is good all the way to 2010, no changes in the bikes either. Check singring's links in his post a few above and see if that helps. Otherwise, make sure all your connectors are tight, everything needs to be connected for the system to work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.