Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who do long distance riding, what have you done to your wing to make it more comfy for those long days in the saddle? The only thing I have done, is I bought a new sheepskin pad for my seat. I cant remember who made it, but it has the memory foam and padding inside. I used it for the first time today,on my way to work, and so far, I am not sure if I like it or not. I dont like the feeling of riding "on top of the bike". Before, I felt like I sat "IN" the seat, and now I sit so high. I am sure its something that I would only use on my long rides, and not so much around town.I might have to move my highway boards when using the seat pad. Seams like I really have to reach for them while sitting on the pad. So what else can you do to the bike to make it more comfy on them long rides? Any more add ons?

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Don't know if you have a back rest but it made a world of difference for me today

·
Administrator
29,019 Posts
Like Gord says, backrest.

My comfort add ons were Highway pegs, backrest, xtall windshield with vent, ISO-grips, ISO-wings, baker hand wings, upper wings, Hartco seat & wired heated gear.

I'm probably forgetting something but that's all I can think of right.now.

·
Banned
95 Posts
i logged over 400 miles today and have to say that the stock seat on my wing is very conferable and the backrest was a huge help. my floorboards where a huge help for me but they make backing up harder.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Have you ever tried a "bead seat"? I tried it on a Royal Star not long ago, on top of a sheep's wool cover and it was pretty comfortable, even for my disappearing hiney.:eek: For now, I'm riding Tatanka just on the stock seat, but before I head to Sturgis and the Dakotas next month I'll try the gel seat and the sheep's wool/bead thing.

I know one thing, I'm not comfortable on any motorcycle with ANYTHING in my back pockets! Must have actual rump contact!:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Have you ever tried a "bead seat"? I tried it on a Royal Star not long ago, on top of a sheep's wool cover and it was pretty comfortable, even for my disappearing hiney.:eek: For now, I'm riding Tatanka just on the stock seat, but before I head to Sturgis and the Dakotas next month I'll try the gel seat and the sheep's wool/bead thing.

I know one thing, I'm not comfortable on any motorcycle with ANYTHING in my back pockets! Must have actual rump contact!:D
Hey Tatanka, you know you can get implants for your Hiney.:D:eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Hey, Pal, I'm all natural! No implants for me. And, by the way, stop thinking about my hiney!:p

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I have the wind wings, Iso grips with throttle boss, hwy pegs, Tulsa Windshield with vent, drivers back rest and Butler 32oz cups and holders for both driver and passenger and a beaded seat pad that I sit on. The beaded seat helps with "monkey butt" when it is real hot, works great can't really feel that your sitting on it but circulates air under you while you are moving......I highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Some chrome light trim and, no wait that's another thread.:eek:
If you have a co-rider arm rests are a big plus.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Big, I think any and every seat pad, regardless of material, will add that height to your seat. After riding stock for so long, that 1/4 to 1/2 inch will be immediately noticeable and feel awkward. But if it seems to help overall, and the reach to the floorboards is important here, you'll adapt to it quickly. Within a few weeks, riding without the pad will seem awkward.

I've tried several and the most comfortable for me and my passenger has been the Airhawk. Of course its the most expensive of the pads but still far cheaper than a custom seat.

As for the the other things mentioned.....ISO grips, taller windshield, Baker wings, etc....they will each be an improvement but it all starts with the seat.

Enjoy the hunt. Ride safe. Randy

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Although I have only had my Goldwing for two weeks I find the seat to be very comfortable. Although I must say it doesn't breath very well. With all the heat we have had in the Midwest this year I find the seat of my pants is wet from sweat even only after a few miles. I have several friends with cruiser type bikes that have purchased the Airhawk R cushion for their seats. Comments and reviews from them and online have been very favorable for this product. Search You tube video review from 2brothersadventures / airhawk R.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I have the wind wings, Iso grips with throttle boss, hwy pegs, Tulsa Windshield with vent, drivers back rest and Butler 32oz cups and holders for both driver and passenger and a beaded seat pad that I sit on. The beaded seat helps with "monkey butt" when it is real hot, works great can't really feel that your sitting on it but circulates air under you while you are moving......I highly recommend it.
+1 on beaded seat cover. Bought my last year as this is my second season. Very durable and cheap too ($20). If you ride in heat like we do in Texas this seat cover is a must. For winter I use an Alaskan sheepskin.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Walmart seat cushion......Backrest.......Ergo 2 highway pegs and I can ride tank to tank. So tanks a lot

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Walmart seat cushion......Backrest.......Ergo 2 highway pegs and I can ride tank to tank. So tanks a lot
Ref I am with you....butt we are hard arses.....:D I just need to stand or lift the back side off the seat now and then ...and I am good...:D The stock wing seat compared to the Triumph Rocket is like a Lazy boy.....
:D

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I haven't done anything to my seat other than the Utopia backrest. edmkc uses the beaded seatcover and likes it alot. I find that the Wing's stock seat is actually very comfortable for me, but it is essential to move a bit or change positions every 10-15 minutes or I get too settled in one spot and that's where the trouble starts. I do that same thing in the car or truck. It's been a long time since I took my wife on a long trip exclusively on the bike so we limited our average days to 400 miles or less (for her sake not mine, I could ride 12+ hours a day and not care) and it worked out just fine. She can do longer days, but we have to stop more frequently for her to get off and walk and stretch. It's not the seating position it's just she needs to be able to move on her own at intervals. Happy wife, happy life!

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Something I forgot to mention about the airhawk cushion. Unlike the gel and foam cushions, the airhawk is adjustable. Blow air in, then while sitting on it, let air out. The cushions delfates at the pressure points and leaves the pressure evenly spread across the ...er...board. You can deflate it to the point of having gained minimal height in the seat.
If you can't find one at a local dealer, go to a GWRRA chapter meeting to see if a member has one to look at or sit on for a minute. I bought mine on line, unseen and untried, knowing I could return it if needed. I've kept it and bought a second one.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Bent has brought up a good point about air flow... In the operating room we have used gel pads for pressure areas but but the patient is out the termperature is controlled and it is for short term ususlly during a procedure.. On the floors lambs wool was used for years. it breaths and wicks away moisture.

I have used lambs wool and it worked very well. I have also used lambs wool on top of a gel pad. gel pad alone does not breath and creates moisture ..... which you do not want..so while it might be comfy at first it does not sit well on a long trip... personally I do fine with lambs wool. On my big trip I only used the stock seat though and it worked fine.....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.