Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of putting in a stator and a new starter. When I took the cover off I broke the gasket and I didn't think to order a gasket set. When I phoned for the gasket set they told me it would be 6 weeks before they would arrive here. Since I didn't want to wait 6 weeks I set to work making them. With all the spare part places over in the USA you probally would be able to get them over night. If you can't this is how I go about it. It is winter here at the moment and very cold in the carport. So you clean it so well that you could eat off it then you bring it into the lounge where it is nice and warm. [A good wife helps at this point.]
1. With the cover on the gasket paper cearfully trace around the cover. Then with a little bit off cut, cut around the traced pattern. Now place the old broken gasket on top of the new gasket and trace the inside of the gasket. At this point it is good if she doesn't see the old oilly gasket.but it will leave a print on the new gasket with the holes that will have to be punched out.
2. Use a punch of the right size and put the first hole in. In the opposite side the second hole. Now place it back on top and check the holes are accurate. In this case there are different size holes, so I did one hole then checked it again.
3. With the holes in now get a sharp art scalpel cut out your gasket. It should look like the last photo.
I was a little naughty and took the photos on the lounge so you could see it easy. Eric

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
With cutting skills like that perhaps you should have become a surgeon.... Great job Eric..

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Next time I need a gasket, I'll send the parts to you, Eric. Great job!

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Mechanical skills at their finest Eric. Thanks for sharing with the group.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
A stator cover on the lounge? That gasket would get me an early casket. Gee Willikers, Eric. Nice and clean and precise. How are you with Origami ?

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing I forgot to say in the text was. Make sure you put a wooden board under the gasket when you cut it out or you will whear your welcome out real quick.
TWW: Years ago I brought a scalple so I could make nice clean cuts when making gaskets. It so much easier than trying to do it with a knife.
Chopin114: I would end up in a casket too if caught with it on the lounge. But what is the 13th conmandment, and it did make it stand out more with a blue back ground. Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts