Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Guys,

I have a 96 GW 1500 SE. with 76,000 miles. About a month ago my handlebar levered front brake "Stuck." Not the lever, but the brake. I squeezed the lever and it let go. A few times since I have noticed the lever is only about one half full, not spongy, just not as much lever as there should be. Last night coming home from work (at 11:30p.m.) the brake "Locked Up" all together. Thankfully it didn't lock up the front tire. Got out my tool kit, pulled the rotor cover and opened the bleeder on the caliper and the brake released and I rode home. Here is where it gets really strange. My foot pedal had much less travel then before. Any ideas where I should start looking for my problem? Does the 1500 GW have a brake proportioning valve?
Thanks and God Bless,
Kevin.

·
Registered
905 Posts
open the resivor and make sure the bleed back hole is clean. it is a very tiny hole at the bottom. all brakes should be flushed every year to prevent this problem.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good advice from 2003 Kevin. If there is a blockage in the bleed hole, I think I read in another post that you can't unplug the hole with a wire or needle since it may cause damage so use an air nozzle. Hopefuly someone with a bit more mechanical wisdom can confirm or deny.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
These are linked brakes, the rear feeds the front and the other front is independent

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked on parts today to rebuild the master cylinder and the caliper, they are about $70.00 My hide is worth more than that so I will rebuild both just to be on the safe side.

Thanks and God Bless,
Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts