Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Thursday when I rode home from work, I parked the Goldwing in my motorcycle shed....and went inside....Well my dumb self I guess didn't turn the key all the way off....(1995 GL1500). So there was power on all the way until Monday.

So on Monday morning, I discover the issue, curse my self for a few minutes, then plug up my batter tender, and take the Harley to work.

Fast forward 3 days, my battery tender is still showing a RED light indicating it's charging but when I turn the key on my Wing no life what so ever...NO Dash lights or anything.....

My question is does the Wing have something that needs to be reset after the battery has been drained?

I plan on removing the seat tonight and hooking a bigger battery charger up tonight, and checking fuses to see if I can get some life....

I'm thinking maybe the 'battery tender' needs a minimum voltage in order to charge that the battery does not have so it's not working...

any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
I don't believe a "battery tender" is going to do the job. They are ment to maintain a battery, not necessarly "charge" a battery. Try charging and see what you get..

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I think Charlie is right about the tender not being meant to charge a fully drained battery.
How old is the battery ? If it is a few years old completely draining it may have been enough to do it in.
And not safety resets that I ever heard of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THanks guys, I will get it on the 'real' charger tonight....I was just being lazy and didn't want to get tools out and remove the seat. =D

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I charged mine with the battery tender after finding it completely dead ! I have a green light when mine is charging . Good luck !

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I charged mine with the battery tender after finding it completely dead ! I have a green light when mine is charging . Good luck !
yeah mine is solid red when charging, then flashing green when trickle...

But At lunch i busted out my service manual and I had forgot i can get to the battery without tools....so i should be able to hook up my battery charger at wide open and know something in a few hours....

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I'd be careful if you decide to go the jump-starting route. I've heard several tales of fried electronics on the Forum from jump-start attempts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hooked it up to the real batteryncharger, and after a few moments all the lights came on.....I'll let it go at 2amps all night.....hope it will start in the morning.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after all night on the charger, took it to work today....at lunch battery was dead....:(

new one is in route, gonna swap them in the lot....

·
Registered
674 Posts
You might try jump starting it , then let the alternator recharge it. If it will not jump start, you may have burned somthing out in the ignition circuit.

Michaelj
IMHO this is a bad idea on any vehicle, an alternator is meant to keep a fully charged battery "charged" If you try to recharge a dead battery with your alternator you could burn it up or at least shorten its life. Its like running a engine at wide open throttle, sure you can get away with if for short burst but try it for hours and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts