Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I'm new to this group I did some search with no results so I started a new thread. I'm currently riding a VTX1800 and I have been looking at Goldwings about an 05 with around 40K on the clock in the 13K price range give or take. My question is about how much does it cost to maintain these huge motorcycles. My VTX is pretty cheap to ride other than the valve adjustment at every 8K I can do most of the work myself. Is there some big hidden cost on a Goldwing that I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Hello Kent and welcome from the Lonestar state. The GW is one of the most affordable motorcycles one can own but service work at the shops is pricey because of all the tupperware removal. However it sounds like you do most of your own work anyway so that shouldn't be an issue. Probably the biggest cost on these bikes isn't repairs but the farkles we add.

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. If you stick to the maint schedule you should have no problems with the Wing. I change the oil, filter and rear diff oil myself and the rest I leave to the dealer. A lot of guys do more of their own maint on the Wing. Other than removing the tupperware, the Wing is not that hard to work on (at least that's what my friends say ).

Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The GL1800's have the same valve adjustment issue as your VTX, so you'll have that to contend with, though I'm sure it's no big deal and I believe the mileage frequency is greater than 8K. The GL1500's have hydraulic valve adjustment, so no valve adjustmeet on those.

Both the GL1800 and VTX1800 have EFI, so no carbs to clean, rebuild, or synch like on my GL1500.

I really am not aware of any big ticket maintenance items on the GL1800 or the GL1500. OK, changing the air cleaner is a PIA on Goldwings because of all the crap you have to remove, but that's only every 12K+ miles. And you'll have 6 plugs to change instead of 4.

In the end, they're Hondas just like your X. That means reliabiltiy and fairly easy basic service.

I, too, had the 1800X (and the 1300X) and did most of my own work. On my GL1500, I'll change rear drive fluid (which you can do just as easily on the GL1800), motor oil change (same on GL1800). I don't mess with the carbs.

I agree with others that the biggest deal seems to be like a sportbike - removing all that interlinked tupperware to get to stuff.

Greg

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Valve inspection/adjustment on the 1800 is every 32,000 miles not at 8k like the VTX. Unless there is noise in the valve train no adjustment should be required. If you are concerned about maintenance costs, once you find a dealer you can trust, always ask for an estimate from the service writer first before having the bike put in the shop, it may not be exact but will avoid any unpleasant surprises. Make sure you don't authorise any unscheduled repairs without prior notification (and estimate) either.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Biggest expenses, GAS, seems like every trip I make on mine winds up over 100 miles and takes almost daily during our riding season. ICE CREAM, weekly ride for ice cream somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts