Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I just started to plan our annual ride. This year we are meeting in the Boston area and heading NE. We think we will cover ground in VT, NH, ME, and cross over the border into Nova Scotia. I have been to Maine one time, but not on a bike. Otherwise, I am brand new to this territory.

We are going in August. We have 5 days and are comfortable covering 300 - 450 miles per day.

I'm interested in suggestions from locals and others who have been there and done that.

Thank you,
Nosaj

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are going into Nova Scotia the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is a must to do.If you cross the border in Calais Me. into St.Stephen N.B. follow Hwy # 1 to Fundy Park this is also a nice ride,this will take you into the Moncton area,which is a nice city to visit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott. We haven't finalized our route yet. I'm not sure if we will ride all the way around the bay or take a ferry. I like your suggestions. I prefer to ride. That's what the trip is about, after all.

Thanks again,
Nosaj

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we did make this trip a couple weeks ago. It was a lot of fun. I started from MN and met my buddies outside of Boston. From there we ran up along the Maine coast, through New Brunswick, around Cape Breton and back to Boston via New Hampshire and Vermont.

We had to call a few audibles due to wet weather, but had a great time. Here are a few pics.

Hope everyone is having a good riding season.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I believe I recognize the backdrop in your last picture--looks like the view from the Cabot Trail just past Ingonish. That is some beautiful country up there!

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
Thanks for the ride report. I see some big smiles there & that's an eccletic trio of bikes.:D

Looks Great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Guys, new to forum located down in MA..would love to get in on a ride up to Nova Scotia. My parents always raved about it and went a few times a year.. Also digging your yellow Wing..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Willmax,

We certainly did go through Ingonish, but by the time we go there, the fog had rolled in. It was about all we could do to keep it between the lines. The pictures are from the west side of Cape Breton. It's a beautiful island!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roundyr,

Yes, that's a funny comment. In fact, all three of these bikes are brand new this year. This was the third annual trip for the three of us. In prior years, we flew to a destination and rented bikes (Harley's). This year we all bought new and rode our own bikes. It was good fun, but we did get some odd looks rolling through some towns given the treo of HD, BMW, and Honda.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oops, this response was for Fossil. Sorry.

Roundyr,

Yes, that's a funny comment. In fact, all three of these bikes are brand new this year. This was the third annual trip for the three of us. In prior years, we flew to a destination and rented bikes (Harley's). This year we all bought new and rode our own bikes. It was good fun, but we did get some odd looks rolling through some towns given the treo of HD, BMW, and Honda.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roundyr,

First, I hope you survived Irene. I just had the fortune to make a quick trip to Colorado, so I'm a little late in responding.

Let Nova Scotia dry out for a few days, and then make the run. It's well worth it, and it's within easy reach from MA. You won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
There is just something great about three guys and their bikes. Bigger groups are bigger problems which take away from a great ride. As said above, you can tell by your grins that it was a great trip even if the weather did not cooperate all the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree. I've ridden in larger groups, but find it uncomfortable due to the varying degrees of skill and style. Also, EVERYTHING takes longer.

I like the camraderie of enjoying a meal and a beer with a big group at the end of the day.

But I much prefer to ride in a group of 2-4 like-minded riders during the day. This was the third annual trip for us three in the pictures I posted. We try to pick an interesting destination each year. So far, we've had a lot of fun.

There is just something great about three guys and their bikes. Bigger groups are bigger problems which take away from a great ride. As said above, you can tell by your grins that it was a great trip even if the weather did not cooperate all the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Roundyr,

First, I hope you survived Irene. I just had the fortune to make a quick trip to Colorado, so I'm a little late in responding.

Let Nova Scotia dry out for a few days, and then make the run. It's well worth it, and it's within easy reach from MA. You won't be disappointed.
thanks we are shooting for the next two weeks and take a weekend ride up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HEY Nosaj, me and the misses went on a trip the year before last and took that route.WE WENT to niagra falls and we loved it there .On the way back we came across ny state and down through NH,VT and up through ME . It was a beautiful trip with nice scenery in all states.ON the way back we did the cabot trail and it,s absolutly beautiful up there.Take a couple days or so and take in all the sites,you won,t regret it.While up this way you should think about coming across to newfoundland.It,ll cost around 100 to cross one way,that,s you and the bike.A lot of bikers go to rocky harbour which is upthe northern penensula It,s very scenic there and gets thousands of tourist in the summer.It,s about a 4 hr run from where you get off th boat in port-aux basques to rocky harbour which isn,t bad if your only here for a short trip.hope this helped.

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Don't miss out on Down East Maine, the little fishing villages where lobster men sell their local catch on the docks at reasonable prices with hot melted butter. That's where my family lives.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts