Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m learning some things already! Thanks the this forum for all the wonderful knowledge and great answers and advice!

I just got this beauty a few days ago and she’s in rough shape. It wouldn’t start earlier when I left for work. Here’s why.

I got a weather resistant fuse holder and replaced that fire hazard!

I found these funny bolts in the original tool bag….

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
Aren't pre-owned vehicles so much fun?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After I brought my beauty home, I quickly realized that I needed a solution for parking.
I rent a home in town and have a garage space. The garage isn’t in the best shape. It is plenty big enough for parking a motorcycle or two though!
It hasn’t been used in a while and needed cleaning. The stone floor is not packed down at all. When I pulled my wing in I sunk into the rocks.
Backing it out was the problem. As you all know with the flat engine on these hogs it makes for short travel when pushing yourself back before having to reset your foot position. Being buried in the rocks and having a cement entryway made it impossible to back it out.
I found some scrap pieces of wood at the shop I work at and built a short ramp so I could park just inside the garage door with the front wheel at an incline!
Tire Bicycle Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Automotive tire Tire Road surface Plant

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome Herty Girty, I own a 1980 GL 1100 Goldwing. Yes these bikes will keep you scratching your head at times. Especially when you get one used. For some reason previous owners want to become MacGyver with the bikes. I've had my share of " what the heck were you thinking " moments plenty of times. Since our two motorcycles are so close in age I would be happy to hopefully help answer any questions that may arise. I got my GL about six years ago and have been both enjoying the rides and restoring it back to factory condition or at least as close as possible. You'll be surprised how well the bike works when the correct parts are used. Good luck with your "new" ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Herty Girty, I own a 1980 GL 1100 Goldwing. Yes these bikes will keep you scratching your head at times. Especially when you get one used. For some reason previous owners want to become MacGyver with the bikes. I've had my share of " what the heck were you thinking " moments plenty of times. Since our two motorcycles are so close in age I would be happy to hopefully help answer any questions that may arise. I got my GL about six years ago and have been both enjoying the rides and restoring it back to factory condition or at least as close as possible. You'll be surprised how well the bike works when the correct parts are used. Good luck with your "new" ride.
Thanks! I’m sure I will have plenty of questions to come. I just saw how bad the frame is. The bike lost its center stand and the frame is twisted and cracked. It needs some welding for sure. It also needs work on the trans/engine. 4th gear slips. I can shift into 4th if I do so carefully. But it slips under any load.
It needs new brake pads. What is the best source for those?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would think about maybe getting a different frame. Twisted and cracked shouldn't be used in the same sentence when talking about your bikes frame. The clutch can be adjusted at the housing and in the cable. It's also a wet clutch. Changing the oil may help in shifting. Western Honda Powersports. Parts Fish. David Silver Spares. These sites have lots of parts.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My recommendation is to find a different frame, from your pictures the frame isn't cracked it is rusted out. Each of the pictures are of a weak spot on the frame, probably from being stored outside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Between you and I. You need a replacement frame. You will be asking for trouble by using this bike on any road. One bad bump in the road could be a disaster. I've seen frames for sale on E-bay. Think about it. It may be better to invest your time and money into something that is more sound and definitely more safer. You could transfer the parts from your old frame to a newer one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Y’all are right. I’m kicking myself for not haggling the price more now that I know the frame is shot.
it’s a little disheartening

·
Registered
82 Posts
When you get a better frame and start to transfer parts you will learn more about your bike than probably most of us that have had them for years. They are so trouble free, I used to take quite a bit off of my 80 just to see what was in there!! One winter I removed all the Vetter stuff, fairing and so on, dis-assembled all the electrical connectors I could find, cleaned them and put in a dab of dilectric grease and re-assembled. I never had a spot of electrical trouble after that!! That bike lived outside the rest of the time I owned it. Started everytime and all lights etc worked!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would think about maybe getting a different frame. Twisted and cracked shouldn't be used in the same sentence when talking about your bikes frame. The clutch can be adjusted at the housing and in the cable. It's also a wet clutch. Changing the oil may help in shifting. Western Honda Powersports. Parts Fish. David Silver Spares. These sites have lots of parts.
pars cables clutch plates master cyl/caliper rebuild kits carb kits.cant beat e-bay prices..also rubber mount grommets and metric nut and bolts incl chrome and ss...picked up a complete unscathed.. 79 wing at rice o rama today flat tires and in a shed last 5 yrs since running,but complete and also complete honda line tour packadge with the lower fairing legs..am so stocked..will be stripping next week

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
If it were me ..............................I would be getting another Goldwing the same year and part this bike for spares.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it were me ..............................I would be getting another Goldwing the same year and part this bike for spares.
I agree. Or maybe go up a couple, 38 years and get a 2018 😂

1 - 20 of 20 Posts